Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Spring Training

Madhawk23
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Big news, players were informed of the rosters to begin the season and Hedbert Perez will be held back at the Arizona complex to begin with one of the AZL squads.

I wonder if that’s just because he missed a chunk of time recently? Was hoping to see him start the year right away in Carolina.

Big news, players were informed of the rosters to begin the season and Hedbert Perez will be held back at the Arizona complex to begin with one of the AZL squads.

Not a shock. For all the hype him playing with the AA squad early on got, with a guy who wouldn’t be expected to start above low A, that is usually a sign that the plan is to start him in short season ball.

By my count, we'll have final MILB Spring Training games April 29th, announcements of Season Opening Team Rosters for Biloxi, Wisconsin and Carolina on May 1st, then the first official games for each on May 4th.

I also count 14 players who've not been showing up in lineups recently, so I'll recklessly sound the alarm on their possible unavailability to start the season:

- UT Weston Wilson (26) - no lineup since April 17

- SP Max Lazar (21) - never showed in lineup

- SS Cam Devanney (24) - no lineup since April 19

- SS Antonio Pinero (22) - no lineup since April 17

- SP Brock Begue (22) - never showed in lineup

- OF Pablo Abreu (21) - never showed in lineup

- C Jose Sibrian (22) - not listed as camp participant

- C Kekai Rios (23) - no lineup since April 16

- UT Ashton McGee (22) - no lineup since April 17

- RP Joel Shapiro (22) - never showed in lineup

- SP Alexis Ramirez (21) - never showed in lineup

- RP Bryce Milligan (23) - never showed in lineup

- RP Harold Chirino (23) - no lineup since April 17

- OF Zane Zurbrugg (23) - not listed as camp participant

Zurbrugg had hamate surgery recently, so he'll probably miss the first month of the season.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via Fangraphs:

Eduarqui Fernandez, RF, Milwaukee Brewers

"I get a lot of chat questions about Hedbert Perez, another teenage Brewers outfielder, but Eduarqui Fernandez has more obvious power projection, as he’s a strapping 6-foot-2 with impressive raw power for a 19-year-old, and more is likely coming as he continues to fill out. The really exciting thing about Fernandez is that his swing is pretty short, which makes me feel better about his ability to make contact and hit for power as opposed to the longer-swinging guys who tend to bust, especially as they see upper-level velocity. There’s everyday upside here because of the hit/power combination, and Eduarqui’s at-bat quality has been pretty strong in my three looks at the Brewers’ kids this spring."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Here are the lineups for the final 2021 Brewer MILB Spring Training games for our AA, A+ and A level squads, who play the Giants again:

[attachment=0]April 29th MILB Rosters.jpg[/attachment]

Jeez, with Pina injured, Nottingham claimed by Seattle and Freitas playing in Korea, the Brewers suddenly need to decide which catcher to promote to AAA to pair with Mario Feliciano. Too bad Tuffy and Kratz are retired. I'd thought we might claim Deivy Grullon, but the Mets just grabbed him.

I was thinking we may push Brent Diaz to AAA as a stop-gap, but it actually makes more sense to promote Payton Henry, since he probably caught a lot of our AAA pitchers at the Alternate Site in 2020 and during 2021 MLB Spring Training. It could be a nice opportunity for Henry, if the Brewers opt for this route.

it's even more complicated now for class aaa nashville.

I also just spoke with Hedbert and he told me his absence was not injury related but rather COVID protocols due to another player coming in contact with the virus.

i am not seeing hedbert perez on any of the four minor league rosters that were just announced.

It will be interesting to see the position player roster construction at the higher levels to start the season if the Brewers don't start getting guys back. Will players start up a level from where they were planned to or will they just put an AZL guy like Castillo or Roa in the last spot on the bench rather than reshuffle a bunch of guys a week into the season?

Well, called one of them. It is clear the Brewers are being conservative with placements for the foreign signings. Outside of one pitcher who was an older signing and Cabrera’s obviously short-term AA assignment, no one moved straight from the DSL (or in Perez, Medina and Quero’s case, not even that) to a full season team.

Archived