Brewer Fanatic

Minor League Spring Training

Madhawk23
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know that we recently found out what Ashby's situation was and that he is now in Arizona but, regarding two other prospects, Keegan McCarville will miss the entire 2021 season after undergoing Tommy John surgery and Tyler Gillies is still working his way back from a cancer diagnosis. Wade Beasley may still be rehabbing from his own TJ surgery as well.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Three more Brewer Spring Training games against the A's today, before the schedule shifts to all night games from tomorrow. Here are today's line-ups:

[attachment=0]April 24 MILB Rosters.jpg[/attachment]

And the award for getting me intrigued about a prospect I didn't know existed until the spring training rosters came out goes to ...

Looks like he got a bit of a write up by Baseball America in the 2019 International Review. They said "Another lower-dollar player to note is Venezuelan righthander Yujanyer Herrera, who signed when he turned 16 on Aug. 17. He's one of the youngest players in the class but has already reached 93 mph with more physical projection remaining in his 6-foot-3, 170-pound frame and good feel for a changeup for his age."

So a 17 year old that is likely sitting low 90's, maybe touching mid-90's with a solid changeup? Uh yeah, count me in as extremely intrigued as well.

Let's see how that works out in games before we get too excited...

Three MILB Brewer games against the Calamitous Cubs tonight, before a Camp day tomorrow (no games scheduled). Here are today's lineups:

[attachment=0]April 26 MILB Rosters.jpg[/attachment]

"It's a camp day today for our crew, but please enjoy these big flies, brought to you by Luis Medina, Larry Ernesto, and Ernesto Martinez"

I've mentioned this before in this thread, but I sure wish we were getting more of these coming from Minors camp, but the one's we are getting are at least encouraging. Would love to see some of these young international guys break out this year, after really not seeing them in action for what - 19-20 months or so?

Still no sign of Hedbert :(

"Hedbert Perez is “totally fine,” says Tom Flanagan. He was away from the complex for a week, not injury related, but is back now."

Here's hoping that there are a few more like this since there are a few more guys who have disappeared recently from the box scores in addition to the guys like Abreu and Nnebe and a few potential Wisconsin pitchers who I don't think have shown up at all.

"It's a camp day today for our crew, but please enjoy these big flies, brought to you by Luis Medina, Larry Ernesto, and Ernesto Martinez"

nice Ernesto Martinez bat flip here. exciting to see some footage of these 3

From my 2017 post-season Brewerfan Top 25 ballot:

17. 1B Ernesto Wilson Martinez - 14 of 36 hits went for extra bases, but posted 36 BB in 155 ABs

viewtopic.php?p=1066884#p1066884

Jeez, with Pina injured, Nottingham claimed by Seattle and Freitas playing in Korea, the Brewers suddenly need to decide which catcher to promote to AAA to pair with Mario Feliciano. Too bad Tuffy and Kratz are retired. I'd thought we might claim Deivy Grullon, but the Mets just grabbed him.

I was thinking we may push Brent Diaz to AAA as a stop-gap, but it actually makes more sense to promote Payton Henry, since he probably caught a lot of our AAA pitchers at the Alternate Site in 2020 and during 2021 MLB Spring Training. It could be a nice opportunity for Henry, if the Brewers opt for this route.

We've got three games against the Giants tonight, before the final scheduled MILB Spring Training games tomorrow night. Here are our lineups:

[attachment=0]April 29 MILB Rosters.jpg[/attachment]

By my count, we'll have final MILB Spring Training games April 29th, announcements of Season Opening Team Rosters for Biloxi, Wisconsin and Carolina on May 1st, then the first official games for each on May 4th.

I also count 14 players who've not been showing up in lineups recently, so I'll recklessly sound the alarm on their possible unavailability to start the season:

- UT Weston Wilson (26) - no lineup since April 17

- SP Max Lazar (21) - never showed in lineup

- SS Cam Devanney (24) - no lineup since April 19

- SS Antonio Pinero (22) - no lineup since April 17

- SP Brock Begue (22) - never showed in lineup

- OF Pablo Abreu (21) - never showed in lineup

- C Jose Sibrian (22) - not listed as camp participant

- C Kekai Rios (23) - no lineup since April 16

- UT Ashton McGee (22) - no lineup since April 17

- RP Joel Shapiro (22) - never showed in lineup

- SP Alexis Ramirez (21) - never showed in lineup

- RP Bryce Milligan (23) - never showed in lineup

- RP Harold Chirino (23) - no lineup since April 17

- OF Zane Zurbrugg (23) - not listed as camp participant

By my count, we'll have final MILB Spring Training games April 29th, announcements of Season Opening Team Rosters for Biloxi, Wisconsin and Carolina on May 1st, then the first official games for each on May 4th.

I also count 14 players who've not been showing up in lineups recently, so I'll recklessly sound the alarm on their possible unavailability to start the season:

Unless I missed them, I think 2/3 of the pitchers acquired in the Phelps trade also haven't made an appearance. On the plus side, recent days have seen the return of Zamora and Nnebe (still one of my favorite sleeper bats, which probably dooms him to quick oblivion).

With a number of the infielders, particularly Wilson and Devanney who looked to be possible AA guys, I wonder if the injuries led to one or both getting shuffled to the alternate site.

It will be interesting to see the position player roster construction at the higher levels to start the season if the Brewers don't start getting guys back. Will players start up a level from where they were planned to or will they just put an AZL guy like Castillo or Roa in the last spot on the bench rather than reshuffle a bunch of guys a week into the season?

Still no sign of Hedbert :(

"Hedbert Perez is “totally fine,” says Tom Flanagan. He was away from the complex for a week, not injury related, but is back now."

Thanks, I was getting a little concerned. I was hoping there wasn’t a significant injury

Unless I missed them, I think 2/3 of the pitchers acquired in the Phelps trade also haven't made an appearance. On the plus side, recent days have seen the return of Zamora and Nnebe (still one of my favorite sleeper bats, which probably dooms him to quick oblivion).

With a number of the infielders, particularly Wilson and Devanney who looked to be possible AA guys, I wonder if the injuries led to one or both getting shuffled to the alternate site.

It will be interesting to see the position player roster construction at the higher levels to start the season if the Brewers don't start getting guys back. Will players start up a level from where they were planned to or will they just put an AZL guy like Castillo or Roa in the last spot on the bench rather than reshuffle a bunch of guys a week into the season?

I meant to quote this in my previous reply, Weston Wilson is currently at the alternate site as well.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

OF Pablo Abreu (21) - never showed in lineup

From Adam McCalvy last November --

Abreu, 21, an international signee from the Dominican Republic, revealed this week that he underwent right elbow surgery.

“This is not a major injury for Pablo," Stearns said. "He will be fine. He should be ready to go by Spring Training.”

Hopefully just extra cautiousness here, and not a setback. Abreu no longer listed in the team's MLB Pipeline Top 30.

Archived