Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-11: Brewers (Anderson) at Cardinals (Ponce de Leon) [Brewers win, 9-3 -- Offense scores 7 runs in the first two innings]

Eye Black
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At what point will Yardley prove that he can’t be counted on to get anyone out this year?

This game has gone from 7-0 to just hoping that they’ll still be in the game to give Hader a chance.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I know we always want to ship a guy out right away after he is struggling but you do have to have some patience and let guys work through things sometimes. That being said, if this wasn't the end, the next outing should be if Yardley were to struggle again.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Can someone explain the double play for those not watching?

Force at first, then both remaining runners decided third base was the place to be. Vogey ran it over and tagged the trailing runner out.

Um how does 1 ground in to a double play when runners were on 2nd and 3rd? Seems more like a groundout and a baserunning blunder? Did guy on 2nd break for 3rd but guy on 3rd not break home? Just kinda sucks for that dude if they stat him with a gidp.

Remember when Matt Carpenter was a Brewer killer?

Yardley fielded a chopper over his head. Yardley threw to 1st, runner on 2nd assumed the runner on 3rd was going home and started running to 3rd. Runner on 3rd stayed put and runner on 2nd was caught between 2nd and 3rd. Vogelbach ran the runner on 2nd to 3rd where he was tagged out.

Ground ball back to yardley, looks the runner back to third, throws to 1st for one out, runner at 2nd had his head down and was running to third on contact, ends up standing on third base along with the original cardinal runner at third base, vogelbach after catching the throw from yardley runs across the diamond over to both runners and eventually both are tagged while standing on third base, one is called out.

Ground ball to pitcher, throws to 1st for one out, runner at 2nd ran to 3rd but runner on 3rd didn't move, runner from 2nd was tagged out.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Yardley to my surprise has managed to pitch 2 scoreless innings this season. I felt like he'd been garbage in all of them.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Yardley was a guy last year who probably benefitted from hitter all over the league struggling in 2020, making him look better than he actually pitched.

He’s another deception, timing type pitcher (the type the GM loves) but deception and timing don’t work when Yardley is seemingly 2-0 on every batter

Biggest problem is we needed to tack on a run or two here and there. Can't just get to 7 early and think we are done. Multiple times the cards have been one at bat away from making this a 1 run game.

That has seemed to be a fairly common issue over the past two seasons before this one. Might be somewhat anecdotal, but I recall numerous in-game threads with that same complaint about not tacking on runs after scoring a few early inning runs.

The 10 days have passed so really no reason to keep Yardley in the bigs to figure things out. Stearns has been pretty liberal with the shuttle in the past so might as well get it going. Conversely Feyereisen has been a pleasant surprise.

Urias benefits from Cardinals pitchers inability to throw a strike for a 3rd time. Can someone walk their way out of a hitting slump? I hope so.

I take it back, box score briefly showed 3 walks but it's only 2 for Urias.

Biggest problem is we needed to tack on a run or two here and there. Can't just get to 7 early and think we are done. Multiple times the cards have been one at bat away from making this a 1 run game.

That has seemed to be a fairly common issue over the past two seasons before this one. Might be somewhat anecdotal, but I recall numerous in-game threads with that same complaint about not tacking on runs after scoring a few early inning runs.

Search "pour it on" to find those.

So then why call it asinine and dumb? Or how Rollie Time says “Success offensively isn’t rewarded on the Brewers and it’s mind boggling.” when Counsell doesn’t just bench guys all the time after they’ve had a good game?

Because it is asinine and dumb to bench Hiura after the day he had yesterday, and CC has done it a LOT over the years. This is not an isolated inceident.

How many times has he done it vs how many times has he played the batter after a good game? How many times would be okay?

Im guessing you remember the times he sits the player and not the times he doesn’t.

Im not 100pct on Feyereisen. 3 fly ball outs. I dont remember him striking anybody out now in last 3 appearances, is that right? Maybe there was 1. Up 4 this game so pitch to contact is a ploy. 3outs though 1 to go

He struck out two batters in his appearance yesterday. Has 6 on the season in 6 innings to go along with 4 walks. He won't have a 0.00 ERA all season but he's been pretty dang good mixing in all his pitches for strikes. He almost looks starter-like.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived