Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-11: Brewers (Anderson) at Cardinals (Ponce de Leon) [Brewers win, 9-3 -- Offense scores 7 runs in the first two innings]

Eye Black

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was listening on SiriusXM yesterday to the Cardinals feed. The cardinals radio announcer - it was probably Mike Shannon? - sounded horrible. Like he was slurring his speech and just not really with it. Almost what a drunk person would sound like. I understand he is 81 and he almost died from COVID in the off-season. Did he sound this way before Covid? I could only stand to listen to a half inning before I went back to AM radio Brewers feed (even though my reception was terrible).

Daniel Vogelbach is 2-for-5 with a walk against Daniel Ponce de Leon.

The rest of the current Brewers hitters are a combined 1-for-31 with three walks against Ponce de Leon (all three walks were Yelich).

Ponce de Leon only had two appearances last season where he went over 5.0 IP as a starter, and both were against the Brewers (6.0 IP each). Both outings against the Brewers came in the final couple weeks of the season last September. Aside from his performances against the Brewers, Ponce de Leon struggled as a starter last season. Hopefully the Brewers hitters begin to turn the tables on him this afternoon.

One other interesting note, for his career Ponce de Leon actually has significant reverse splits (.545 OPS vs. LHH; .760 OPS vs. RHH) although that’s after just 499 plate appearances faced over his career to this point.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Daniel Vogelbach is 2-for-5 with a walk against Daniel Ponce de Leon.

The rest of the current Brewers hitters are a combined 1-for-31 with three walks against Ponce de Leon (all three walks were Yelich).

Ponce de Leon only had two appearances last season where he went over 5.0 IP as a starter, and both were against the Brewers (6.0 IP each). Both outings against the Brewers came in the final couple weeks of the season last September. Aside from his performances against the Brewers, Ponce de Leon struggled as a starter last season. Hopefully the Brewers hitters begin to turn the tables on him this afternoon.

One other interesting note, for his career Ponce de Leon actually has significant reverse splits (.545 OPS vs. LHH; .760 OPS vs. RHH), although that’s after just 499 plate appearances faced over his career to this point.

We are due! 5 spot on him coming up! :)

The day after Hiura starts to come around, our manager decides to give him a day of rest.

Unless there is an injury we don't know about, this move is completely asinine.

I know there are a lot of CC supporters here that think he does no wrong and make excuses for him, but this is just dumb.

Let the guy continue to boost his confidence.

This is not unlike CC either, he has done this to many players over the years.

I just don't understand his reasoning, especially since we just had an off day on Friday.

Asinine.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

PDL has reverse splits as does Keston. Other than it being Sunday lineup time, I don’t get the reasoning here.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Definitely would be playing Keston here. He looked a bit better on Friday and much better yesterday, on offense anyway. Certainly would have tried to keep that going. Almost surprised Garcia isn't on the bench too.

As others mentioned it does not seem to me that Counsell can be happy unless he has a guy like Eric Sogard or Jace Peterson in his lineup.

Is this potential scenario not why you acquired Daniel Robertson?

Vogelbach has the best batting average of any current Brewer on the roster against their starting pitcher today. So, you have to play Vogelbach. If you do that where do you put Huira in the field??

I'm not sure if they are going to be willing to play Hiura at 2nd base this season no matter the scenario. If they are willing though, I'm sure it's not going to be when Anderson is pitching, as he seems to be pretty much the most reliant on defense of all the starters(maybe Houser too).

Vogelbach has the best batting average of any current Brewer on the roster against their starting pitcher today. So, you have to play Vogelbach. If you do that where do you put Huira in the field??

While I'm not opposed to Vogelbach getting a start, I'm not sure a 5 at bat sample size is sufficient to mark him as a must play. He is just 1-7 this year, de Leon has held lefties to a .161 average in his career and the two hits by Vogelbach averaged exit velocities under 74, so not exactly stung.

While I'm not opposed to Vogelbach getting a start, I'm not sure a 5 at bat sample size is sufficient to mark him as a must play. He is just 1-7 this year, de Leon has held lefties to a .161 average in his career and the two hits by Vogelbach averaged exit velocities under 74, so not exactly stung.

Nevermind.

Going to run out of things to complain about soon if this offense gets some consistency.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived