Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Dee Strange-Gordon to minor-league deal

Eye Black

Assuming that there isn't a really early opt-out date, they were in need of legitimate middle infielders in AAA and as depth. You could make the case their previous AAA middle infield, assuming Turang starts at AA, might collectively be better off in the outfield.

Also, let's not sell Jose Hernandez short. He got his all-star spot because of an uncharacteristically good first half, not as the lone Brewers representative (Richie Sexson made it that year too).

Also, on the prospect question, among the Brewers MLB.com top 30, you're probably looking at:

AAA: Feliciano, Ray

AA: Turang, Lutz, Henry

Dillard and Kahle might be up for the second catcher spot as well, and there have been rumors that the Brewers might skip Mitchell and Hamilton straight to AA. But yah, especially the infield, outside of Turang, at the top two levels seems to have a lot of minor league free agent signings and guys heading into a sink or swim year perhaps a level above where they should be.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stearns just loves athletic players with no ability to hit.

He signed a two time all-star with 4000 MLB PA's to a minor league deal.

And your problem with this is....?

LOL is that rhetorical?

Yeah...I guess it was. I'll never understand the few people who get upset about signing veteran talent to minor league deals.

He's played SS, 2nd and CF and he's generally god a decent BA. I be a little miffed if they gave him a 2 year 16 million dollar contract, but with a 26 man roster...he could help at some point, in some role and there's no risk.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah...I guess it was. I'll never understand the few people who get upset about signing veteran talent to minor league deals.

He's played SS, 2nd and CF and he's generally god a decent BA. I be a little miffed if they gave him a 2 year 16 million dollar contract, but with a 26 man roster...he could help at some point, in some role and there's no risk.

Agreed. Wish such little depth in the middle infield in the upper minors, the move makes a ton of sense. Unfortunately, I don't know if the Brewers have ever made a move that the poster you were responding to was actually positive about.

This conversation happens every year with random signings and trades. There are 11,000 reasons why it could be beneficial to sign or trade for minor league depth that has nothing to do with the MLB roster. Could Dee end up getting some MLB at bats this year? Yep! Sure! But this signing, to me, has much more to do with protecting the progression of the Brewers #1 prospect than it does anything to do with the MLB roster.

Wong is hurt, Arcia traded, had to bring in Peterson, etc. Now depth at AAA is already gone ... Turang needs his time in AA. Unless he forces the move to AAA with his play there is no reason to rush him and you don't want the temptation to do so if injuries beg the question. Signing Gordon-Strange gives the Brewers someone to plug in at AAA to leave Turang the level below and then if disaster hits with the big league club - DGS can fill in for a minute and leave the rest of the minors 'normal'.

Let's let our best prospect have as normal and planned a progression as possible and PLEASE let's stop losing our minds when Stearns signs a guy to add some AAA cushion because he isn't Ryan Sandberg.

This conversation happens every year with random signings and trades. There are 11,000 reasons why it could be beneficial to sign or trade for minor league depth that has nothing to do with the MLB roster. Could Dee end up getting some MLB at bats this year? Yep! Sure! But this signing, to me, has much more to do with protecting the progression of the Brewers #1 prospect than it does anything to do with the MLB roster.

Wong is hurt, Arcia traded, had to bring in Peterson, etc. Now depth at AAA is already gone ... Turang needs his time in AA. Unless he forces the move to AAA with his play there is no reason to rush him and you don't want the temptation to do so if injuries beg the question. Signing Gordon-Strange gives the Brewers someone to plug in at AAA to leave Turang the level below and then if disaster hits with the big league club - DGS can fill in for a minute and leave the rest of the minors 'normal'.

Let's let our best prospect have as normal and planned a progression as possible and PLEASE let's stop losing our minds when Stearns signs a guy to add some AAA cushion because he isn't Ryan Sandberg.

He's quite versatile, with experience at shortstop, second, left field, and in center. Not the best in the OBP department, but he probably can hit .280 and he's fast on the basepaths. For the minimum - or what he likely signed for - he's a good pickup.

Peterson for sure. Robertson has a little bit longer of a leash for me yet but he's off to a not so great start.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Peterson for sure. Robertson has a little bit longer of a leash for me yet but he's off to a not so great start.

Robertson’s BABIP is .133. Even if he got that up to his career norm of .303 he’d still be a .250 hitter with no power, and no real ability to draw walks. He’s probably safe only because his $900k guarantee but his skill set is 100% interchangeable with Peterson, Gordon-Strange or whatever veteran infielder is currently sitting home without a contract.

The Brewers clearly have a RH bench bat void. I'm not sure even the return of Robertson to bench with the return of Wong helps that with how weak his bat looks. Teams with multiple LH relievers are figuring that out. Strange-Gordon wouldn't solve that but his .279 career BA vs. LHP at least makes him usable off the bench against LH relievers. Reyes is the other option I suppose. Where's Gyroko these days?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Was Strange-Gordon in a spring training camp somewhere or does he need a few weeks to get ready?

He was with the Reds. It was actually a minor surprise that they let him go, as he had a decent Spring Training stats-wise. But the Reds are seemingly committed to their "bat first, defense optional" arrangement, so once they made the Suarez to SS move official, the writing was on the wall for Strange-Gordon.

Robertson’s BABIP is .133. Even if he got that up to his career norm of .303 he’d still be a .250 hitter with no power, and no real ability to draw walks. He’s probably safe only because his $900k guarantee but his skill set is 100% interchangeable with Peterson, Gordon-Strange or whatever veteran infielder is currently sitting home without a contract.

Eh? The man has a 11.4% career walk rate. Whatever his other faults may be, the man at least knows how to take walks.

Eh? The man has a 11.4% career walk rate. Whatever his other faults may be, the man at least knows how to take walks.

His career walk rate is right in step with that other God of walks Jace Peterson (11.2%). They’re interchangeable freely available talent

His career walk rate is right in step with that other God of walks Jace Peterson (11.2%). They’re interchangeable freely available talent

Yes, Jace Peterson is also good at drawing walks. They can be as interchangable or as bad as you like them to be, doesn't change the fact that the bolded statement is plainly not true.

2018-21 vs. RHP:

hOFkyqk.png

2018-21 vs. LHP:

whS4s2g.png

Throw in he's only 27 compared to the 30 year old Peterson and 32 year old Gordon, and I'll give Robertson a bit more leash here. Getting some regular playing time while Wong is out could be beneficial to see what he's got.

strange-gordon must have an opt-out clause in his contract (probably june or so). i wonder if the brewers had a clause to postpone said opt-out date for as many days lost with the intake process. seems only fair to the club.

• 4 weeks later...
strange-gordon must have an opt-out clause in his contract (probably june or so). i wonder if the brewers had a clause to postpone said opt-out date for as many days lost with the intake process. seems only fair to the club.

any word on an opt-out clause? i'd imagine that there'd be one coming up in the coming weeks.

Archived