Brewers sign Dee Strange-Gordon to minor-league deal

Eye Black

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator
when did his name change?

According to his Wikipedia page...

Strange-Gordon's full name is Devaris Strange-Gordon. Friends and family call him Varis. He was known professionally by his full name until 2008 when a Missoula Osprey public address announcer mispronounced his first and last names. He thereafter chose to be known professionally simply as Dee Gordon. In 2020, he stated that he would like to return to being known by his legal surname professionally, to honor his mother.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

If Wong’s oblique injury worsens Strange-Gordon could end up being more than minor league depth.

From McCalvy...

Craig Counsell on Kolten Wong's oblique: "The injured list is a distinct possibility, but we're not definite on it yet. We're going to see how he feels when he wakes up tomorrow. He still has pretty good strength, which is a good sign."

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If Wong’s oblique injury worsens Strange-Gordon could end up being more than minor league depth.

From McCalvy...

Craig Counsell on Kolten Wong's oblique: "The injured list is a distinct possibility, but we're not definite on it yet. We're going to see how he feels when he wakes up tomorrow. He still has pretty good strength, which is a good sign."

I mean, off day helps, I guess. And maybe there's a PPD Saturday. But I'd make a move sooner than later. Wouldn't push it since (wow), they'll need Wong's offense.

Stearns just loves athletic players with no ability to hit.

He signed a two time all-star with 4000 MLB PA's to a minor league deal.

And your problem with this is....?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I would rather have a speedy depth piece in the minors with extensive MLB experience over the typical trash that gets called up in the middle of the season for random stints. Those 27 year old AAAA players are just brutal. He isn't as fast as he once was, but he could still be somewhat helpful on the bench if he is on the roster and not in the lineup.

In sporadic playing time it just feels a Dee Gordon type could give a little more value. His K rate has always been really really low. So at least he will put it in play.

From McCalvy...

If Wong needs to go on the IL, I would think Pablo Reyes would get called up first. But it is good to have Dee as some depth and at least now they have someone to play SS at AAA.

Don't forget, that Huira guy has played a little 2B as well. I'm sure they dont want to shuffle him back and forth between positions, but this would be a way to get Vogelbach into the lineup along with Huira.

Let's hope Wong is ok.

Ricky Bones, Jose Hernandez and Derrick Turnbow are former all stars too. Every team is required to have one; big deal.

As for Gordon-Strange, he hasn’t been decent in 5 years, which is exactly why they signs him to a minor guy deal.

it's unclear how long it takes a guy to clear intake, and it's my understanding that only players that are part of the taxi squad are eligible for activation on road trips. the brewers continue to be secretive about their taxi squad rosters, and i'm convinced that they bargained with the beat writers to refrain from reporting sightings.

having said that, the brewers do not have any infielders on optional assignment on their 40-man roster. if they're carrying an infielder on their taxi squad (why wouldn't they?), it's gotta be a non-roster player such as jace peterson or pablo reyes. peterson is out of options, reyes is not.

unless mlb is allowing exceptions provided the club has hit the 85% vaccination rate, which eases protocols? if they haven't, maybe this roster management conundrum will make some rethink their stance on refusing to be vaccinated.

I don't really track defensive stats/metrics, so can someone more in the know there give an evaluation of Dee Gordon as a 2B? I know he won a gold glove 6 years ago, but just curious if his defense has fallen off significantly since then?

Either way, it is a bit surprising that there isn't a spot for a guy like Dee anymore in today's baseball. Still only 32 and has been a solid player over the years. I know he had the PED situation, so maybe his stats were inflated because of that - but seems like a guy that has always hit for a decent average, plays good D and has had really good speed on the base paths. Maybe I'm off base, but probably a guy that would have fit better in MLB back in the 80's and 90's. In today's game though, it's all about OPS - and that's something he's never excelled at.

Ricky Bones, Jose Hernandez and Derrick Turnbow are former all stars too. Every team is required to have one; big deal.

As for Gordon-Strange, he hasn’t been decent in 5 years, which is exactly why they signs him to a minor guy deal.

I won't tolerate this Ricky Bones slander.

@WiscoSportsNut

Turnbow actually was pretty darn good until it fell apart. I'll give you Bones and Jose K

Brewers needed a 2nd basemen in Nashville and had no advanced prospects, so they got Gordon. this is nothing to fret about.

Do the Brewers have any advanced prospects at any offensive position? The dearth of positional talent in the upper minor leagues is scary.

it's unclear how long it takes a guy to clear intake, and it's my understanding that only players that are part of the taxi squad are eligible for activation on road trips. the brewers continue to be secretive about their taxi squad rosters, and i'm convinced that they bargained with the beat writers to refrain from reporting sightings.

confirmation of the above in that newly signed players cannot immediately join their clubs.

i hope that strange-gordon traveled to wisconsin as quickly as possible. he'll either join the team monday in milwaukee (if jace peterson is just a stopgap who is likely to clear outright waivers) or he'll join the alternate training site roster in grand chute.

I don't really track defensive stats/metrics, so can someone more in the know there give an evaluation of Dee Gordon as a 2B? I know he won a gold glove 6 years ago, but just curious if his defense has fallen off significantly since then?

Either way, it is a bit surprising that there isn't a spot for a guy like Dee anymore in today's baseball. Still only 32 and has been a solid player over the years. I know he had the PED situation, so maybe his stats were inflated because of that - but seems like a guy that has always hit for a decent average, plays good D and has had really good speed on the base paths. Maybe I'm off base, but probably a guy that would have fit better in MLB back in the 80's and 90's. In today's game though, it's all about OPS - and that's something he's never excelled at.

Scooter Gennett was an All Star in 2018, badly injured his hamstring in spring training (against the Brewers btw) in 2019 and didn't do much after he returned after 4 months on the DL, and didn't have a taker for his services in either 2020 or 2021. 2021 would be his 31 year old season. Teams don't want to spend money on second basemen if there's a hint they're past their primes.

Archived