Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' Offense

RobDeer 45

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To further add - fangraphs review of managers performance during the divisional round.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/managerial-report-cards-national-league-division-series/

Sometimes you can make solid decisions and still get a bad result

That means absolutely nothing. It's an opinion, or lots of opinions on how he handled the playoffs.

we could all write our own pieces and they would all hold as much value as what was written above.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The Brewers need a real difference maker if not two in the lineup. They had the worst lineup of any playoff team and counting on Yelich and Hiura to be those big bats would be foolish. With clear salary constraints I have no idea how they pull this off but this team desperately needs some big time hitters.

We're not getting two elite bats. Maybe one if we trade some combo of Woody, Hader, Hauser, etc. Replace Haines, fine, but all that does is make people feel better. The only other variable is the manager.

I've always been a CC supporter, still am. Of course there's a risk with replacing a good manager. There's also a risk of ever getting a ring with the current manager. The Brewers will never have the best team on paper. They will need the perfect storm in the playoffs, and that's when the right manager at the right time can make a difference.

Playing it safe is the easiest thing to do. Maybe it's even the right thing to do. I'm just saying why would you not even consider it? MM is a good football coach, but the Packers moved on from him. People were ready to move on from Bud if the Bucks exited the playoffs early again last year. Being good doesn't always mean you're the right guy at the right time.

The Brewers need a real difference maker if not two in the lineup. They had the worst lineup of any playoff team and counting on Yelich and Hiura to be those big bats would be foolish. With clear salary constraints I have no idea how they pull this off but this team desperately needs some big time hitters.

I guess the solace to be found is that the team was built on pitching and defense, and that got them 95 wins and a division championship.

We knew this going into the season, and it worked. We'd all like to see more runs scored, but I'd hate to veer too far from a strategy that netted us one of the best teams in Brewer history. The Braves got hot, and that has pushed them past us and onto a lead over the Dodgers in the NLCS.

I'm sure that Stearns knows this team better than we do, so he knows it's strengths and weaknesses. He made some moves mid-season to improve the offense, and I hope he doesn't overreact now just because the team got ice cold at the wrong time. If they had gone on a cold streak in August and got red hot in late September/October, we'd still be cheering them on in the NLCS. That's baseball.

If having a few of the best hitters netted you a championship, the Angels would be hanging a banner this year. We have a solid team going into next year, and even if we don't make a move, I think we're the favorites to win the division. I trust that Stearns will do something to improve the roster, and I'm sure it will be something that none of us will predict in advance. I just don't expect it to be a "big money" deal, as I don't think we have "big money" to spend.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I guess the solace to be found is that the team was built on pitching and defense, and that got them 95 wins and a division championship.

We knew this going into the season, and it worked. We'd all like to see more runs scored, but I'd hate to veer too far from a strategy that netted us one of the best teams in Brewer history. The Braves got hot, and that has pushed them past us and onto a lead over the Dodgers in the NLCS.

I'm sure that Stearns knows this team better than we do, so he knows it's strengths and weaknesses. He made some moves mid-season to improve the offense, and I hope he doesn't overreact now just because the team got ice cold at the wrong time. If they had gone on a cold streak in August and got red hot in late September/October, we'd still be cheering them on in the NLCS. That's baseball.

If having a few of the best hitters netted you a championship, the Angels would be hanging a banner this year. We have a solid team going into next year, and even if we don't make a move, I think we're the favorites to win the division. I trust that Stearns will do something to improve the roster, and I'm sure it will be something that none of us will predict in advance. I just don't expect it to be a "big money" deal, as I don't think we have "big money" to spend.

Well said. Offenses tend to be more streaky than pitching and defense. Ours was average at best and went cold at the wrong time. That doesn't mean the formula is wrong. It just means we weren't the hot team in the playoffs. That happens a lot. Hell this season alone had two 100 win teams out in the first round and the two teams with the worst record coming into the playoffs moved on and are tied or leading their series. There is no formula for the playoffs. There is no right way to build a team to win a single five or seven game series.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

We're not getting two elite bats. Maybe one if we trade some combo of Woody, Hader, Hauser, etc. Replace Haines, fine, but all that does is make people feel better. The only other variable is the manager.

I've always been a CC supporter, still am. Of course there's a risk with replacing a good manager. There's also a risk of ever getting a ring with the current manager. The Brewers will never have the best team on paper. They will need the perfect storm in the playoffs, and that's when the right manager at the right time can make a difference.

Playing it safe is the easiest thing to do. Maybe it's even the right thing to do. I'm just saying why would you not even consider it? MM is a good football coach, but the Packers moved on from him. People were ready to move on from Bud if the Bucks exited the playoffs early again last year. Being good doesn't always mean you're the right guy at the right time.

Once again, ya...no. It's not Craig's fault Stearns continually fails to put together anything resembling a competent major league offense. A new manager and/or hitting coach isn't going to change that.