Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' Offense

RobDeer 45

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody know what are runs per game are against lefty starters? I just cringe every time we have to face off against a lefty. That’s my only complaint with the offense right now. We seem to struggle against lefty starters no matter who it is.

Have definitely struggled to score runs in games started by lefties, only 81 runs in 25 games, or 3.24 per game.

Testament to the pitching staff that the Brewers have still gone 14-11 in those games, a 91 win full season pace.

Full catalogue of lefty starts against the Brewers so far, (L) or (W) is game result for the Brewers...

4/26 Rogers MIA 6 IP 0 ER 7 K 0 BB (L)

4/27 Castano MIA 3.1 IP 3 ER 3 K 1 BB (W)

5/02 Urias LAD 7 IP 1 ER 10 K 0 BB (L)

5/07 Rogers MIA 5 IP 1 ER 6 K 2 BB (L)

5/08 Castano MIA 4 IP 3 ER 5 K 2 BB (W)

5/11 Kim STL 5.1 IP 1 ER 6 K 1 BB (L)

5/14 Smyly ATL 6 IP 1 ER 4 K 1 BB (L)

5/18 Bubic KCR 6 IP 0 ER 4 K 2 BB (L)

5/24 Snell SDP 3.2 IP 5 ER 7 K 3 BB (W)

5/27 Weathers SDP 4 IP 0 ER 5 K 2 BB (W)

5/29 Corbin WAS 5 IP 4 ER 5 K 2 BB (W)

5/29 Lester WAS 4 IP 1 ER 4 K 0 BB (W)

5/31 Alexander DET 1 IP 0 ER 2 K 0 BB (W)

6/01 Boyd DET 4.2 IP 5 ER 4 K 3 BB (L)

6/06 Smith ARI 5 IP 1 ER 8 K 2 BB (W)

6/19 Gomber COL 2 IP 2 ER 1 K 0 BB (W)

6/23 Smith ARI 6 IP 1 ER 6 K 4 BB (W)

7/04 Anderson PIT 7 IP 0 ER 6 K 2 BB (L)

7/09 Miley CIN 8 IP 0 ER 4 K 3 BB (L)

7/20 Minor KCR 7 IP 1 ER 5 K 1 BB (L)

7/24 Rodon CHW 4 IP 2 ER 5 K 2 BB (W)

7/31 Muller ATL 5 IP 1 ER 7 K 2 BB (L)

8/04 Brault PIT 4 IP 1 ER 2 K 1 BB (W)

8/10 Steele CHC 5 IP 3 ER 1 K 1 BB (W)

8/15 Peters PIT 4.2 IP 1 ER 3 K 3 BB (W)

Yelich- LF

Adames- SS

Escobar- 3B

Narvaez- C

Garcia- RF

Tellez- 1B

Urias- 2B

Cain/JBJ- CF

This assumes Garcia back and JBJ taking his option but I really like that lineup.

I think it's pretty likely that Garcia won't be a Brewer next year, and with arby raises and current contracts, we probably won't have a lot of extra money. Trading Wong would be a way to free up some cash, but Escobar turns 33 in January and will probably be looking for a multi-year deal. My guess is that he'll be playing elsewhere next year unless the market really dries up and Stearns can convince him to sign a one-year deal.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Mets still have a bad offense even after firing their hitting coach. The Brewers look to be normalizing a bit thanks to the addition of Adames.

I still don't believe firing a hitting coach does anything other than the hitting coach being fired.

The results more than likely will be the same before and after the firing. Please see the Mets as to why firing the hitting coach doesn't really matter.

• 2 weeks later...
September bump-date...

Since the All Star Break the Brewers offense has scored the most runs in the NL with their position players ranking 2nd in wRC+ (114) & 1st in WAR (8.7).

My favorite result of this is the 19-9 record August. My second favorite is the lack of one-note negative posting on Brewerfan by certain posters. One in particular posted only four times in August.

• 1 month later...

Brewers offense finished the season 12th in runs scored & 19th in position player wRC+. Combine that with the 7th best base running & thee best defense (by UZR + framing, only 6th in DRS) and the position players finished 10th in WAR.

While short on star power, the position player group offered pretty remarkable depth with eleven players registering at least 0.9 WAR...

Adames (135 wRC+ | 3.9 WAR)

Wong (109 wRC+ | 2.9 WAR)

Avisail (115 wRC+ | 2.9 WAR)

Omar (99 wRC+ | 2.8 WAR)

Urias (111 wRC+ | 2.7 WAR)

Lorenzo (97 wRC+ | 1.8 WAR)

Yelich (101 wRC+ | 1.5 WAR)

Manny (95 wRC+ | 1.5 WAR)

Tyrone (106 wRC+ | 1.5 WAR)

Escobar (114 wRC+ | 0.9 WAR)

Jace (97 wRC+ | 0.9 WAR)

With Tyrone, Jace & Manny from above, plus Rowdy & VogelBOMB on the bench the Brewers should be pretty well positioned to not give away too many PAs this postseason.

Who do you want coming up to bat with the game on the line?

If you need a HR?

If you need a hit?

If you need a sac fly?

If you need someone to get on base at the start of an inning?

Not trolling, curious. I don't have answers to these questions. It's my biggest concern. While guys have had moments, I don't know who I would count on.

If you need a HR? - Adames. He seems to have a flair for the dramatic.

If you need a hit? - Cain has come up with quite a few big hits this year.

If you need a sac fly? - Yelich. Obviously he hasn't had a good year by any means. But he's a smart ballplayer.

If you need someone to get on base at the start of an inning? - Urias is so good in these sort of situations. Works counts, doesn't chase, and can put the bat on the ball when needed. Jace Peterson is a close 2nd.

If you need a HR?

If you need a hit?

If you need a sac fly?

Not trolling, curious. I don't have answers to these questions. It's my biggest concern. While guys have had moments, I don't know who I would count on.

I think a big thing about this offense is that there isn't someone who you absolutely wouldn't want coming up in a big situation. In past playoff years, we had more "big names" that you'd want to be up in certain situations, but the back of the lineup had some "black holes." I like that we don't have that this year.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If you need a sac fly? - Yelich. Obviously he hasn't had a good year by any means. But he's a smart ballplayer.

If you need someone to get on base at the start of an inning? - Urias is so good in these sort of situations. Works counts, doesn't chase, and can put the bat on the ball when needed. Jace Peterson is a close 2nd.

I can’t argue with nearly any of this. Getting on base in a critical inning though, I think I’d have Wong in that discussion. He’s kept a little magic dust in his pockets from St. Louis and seems valuable there.

I can’t argue with nearly any of this. Getting on base in a critical inning though, I think I’d have Wong in that discussion. He’s kept a little magic dust in his pockets from St. Louis and seems valuable there.

It's nice to have choices for a "need someone to get on base" guy. Pretty rare as a Brewer fan.

If you need a HR?

If you need a hit?

If you need a sac fly?

I think a big thing about this offense is that there isn't someone who you absolutely wouldn't want coming up in a big situation. In past playoff years, we had more "big names" that you'd want to be up in certain situations, but the back of the lineup had some "black holes." I like that we don't have that this year.

Except for Yelich, sadly...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Offense is over-rated

Say it ten more times for the people on the back.

You don't need to score a lot of runs but it is hard to win when you don't.

That postilion would depend entirely on your ability to prevent runs, mainly pitching and defense...two things at which the Brewers happen to be really good at. It's not hard to win that way when the team is built to win that way. It may be hard on the fans to watch that type of baseball but the team knows what they are and what their strengths are.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

The Brewer bats continue to be completely useless against lefty pitching. It's a huge problem at this point.

How about the fact that Adames is really the only good hitter on this team. We have some other good position players like Wong but Adames is the only hitter that anyone should worry about facing.