Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' Offense

RobDeer 45

Games with less than 3 runs on the season:

Mets- 36

Padres- 35

Brewers/Dodgers- 30

Giants/Reds- 28

It happens to them all. Even the top offense in the NL. The Brewers offense hasn’t been as bad as some want to make it sound. Heck, there’s more evidence showing even before the deadline that they were above average.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with our awful start, only the Dodgers, Giants, Padres, Braves and Reds have scored more runs in the NL. None of those teams have given up less runs. We knew going in we were sacrificing a little offense for a great d.

Just read some IGT’s that are 1-2 weeks old. Yes, there has been great changes made but the agenda by the loudest is that our offense stinks even though outside of April, this team has been good to very good in that department. It’s a great thing to feel the hush of that crowd but they’ll be back out in full force the next cold snap.

By what standard would you say the Brewers offense was good or very good in May?

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Bad offensive games happen……..to everyone……it’s a long season……..some people love to overreact instead of just accepting that there will be ups and downs.

Don’t get too high or too low …..just enjoy the season.

The bad offensive games are more frustrating when they waste well pitched games.

When the Brewers have allowed exactly 2 runs, their record is just 11-9, meaning they have lost 9 games by a score of 2-1 or 2-0.

The league winning percentage when allowing exactly 2 runs is about 75%.

The records for the top offensive teams in these games are:

Giants 12-3

Dodgers 11-5

Padres 16-3

Reds 11-1

Those 2-1 and 2-0 losses are going to stick in people’s heads as offensive failures more than 6-1 losses, especially when several of them come against the team’s closest division competitor.

Edited by BruisedCrew
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Just read some IGT’s that are 1-2 weeks old. Yes, there has been great changes made but the agenda by the loudest is that our offense stinks even though outside of April, this team has been good to very good in that department. It’s a great thing to feel the hush of that crowd but they’ll be back out in full force the next cold snap.

By what standard would you say the Brewers offense was good or very good in May?

Moral of the story is that it isn’t May anymore, and they haven’t performed poorly in two months.

Moral of the story is that it isn’t May anymore, and they haven’t performed poorly in two months.

And he wasn’t anointing the Reds as Central champs in May. Is was like 2 weeks ago.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Brewers have a good offense. It's hard to objectively see it otherwise.

Even if you look at the cumulative, they are at least above average and above everyone in the NL besides the big 3 in the West, the Reds and the Braves.

But it's misleading to even look at the cumulative, because many of those April and May lineups featured guys like Shaw, Robertson, McKinney, a couple crappy catchers, Reyes....a lot of guys who either aren't even here anymore or are playing a very insignificant role compared to what they were. Since they acquired Adames and got healthy, it's a completely different lineup, one that's been among the best.

I don't really know where the weakness is offensively at full health. Probably CF, but despite their struggles I would think going forward expecting Cain/Bradley to be average offensively is probably reasonable. I would stop short of calling our offense elite, but if Yelich was anywhere close to what we hoped for, it would be.

The moral of the story is that someone with an agenda is putting out false facts to support that agenda.

In May the Brewers scored 100 runs in 28 games. I don’t consider that good or very good. There were some good signs in June as the Brewers started scoring runs against the league’s worst pitching teams.

It isn’t May anymore, but it takes awhile to remove the stench of the bad first two months, especially when that stench kicked up again while the Brewers were losing 6 of 7 home games to the Reds, four of them by scores of 2-1, 2-1, 2-0, and 3-1.

The moral of the story is that someone with an agenda is putting out false facts to support that agenda.

In May the Brewers scored 100 runs in 28 games. I don’t consider that good or very good. There were some good signs in June as the Brewers started scoring runs against the league’s worst pitching teams.

It isn’t May anymore, but it takes awhile to remove the stench of the bad first two months, especially when that stench kicked up again while the Brewers were losing 6 of 7 home games to the Reds, four of them by scores of 2-1, 2-1, 2-0, and 3-1.

That’s literally not true, as the Brewers’ offense has been above average since the Adames trade. You’re focused on May numbers for some reason, but again, we’re two months removed from May.

Yes, after the Reds completed their string of 6 wins in 7 games over the Brewers at AFF, I expressed the opinion that, at that time, the Reds looked like the best team in the division. If someone who doesn’t like to hear opinions that differ from his interprets that as “anointing them as division champs”, that’s his prerogative.

The offense is actually very productive right now. With Cain starting over Bradley there an NO black holes in the offense. I don't remember that being the case for the 2011 team or the 2018 team where there were at least 2 sure outs in each lineup. Sure we don't have many great hitters, but we have average or above average at every position. We don't need 1 or 2 to carry the team when we now have 3-4 guys that should be hitting well at any time. With Yelich back and Taylor available to cover the Cain off days in CF we will consistently have a average/above average 1-8 hitters. That's awesome.

Again, just want to point out that guys like Adames, Escobar, and Tellez were not even options in April and most of May, without even getting into the guys who missed significant time during that time with injury. Comparing the April/May offense to the current offense is apples to oranges.

This is why I’m bringing up May. The statement that “outside of April, this team has been good to very good in that department” (offense) is patently false.

My point here is that at the end of May the Brewers had a decidedly below league average offense. Their runs per game were WORSE in May than in April, so there were still no signs of improvement then. After two bad months it’s going to take more than two better weeks for fans to determine if an offensive spurt is a just a good streak that even bad teams have, or a sign of longer term improvement.

If you want to do a reset and discuss whether or not the Brewers have a good offense now, we can do that. But, putting out false statements to try to make the point that other people’s opinions are unreasonable shouldn’t be necessary.

I have been impressed with the Brewers offense since the sweep of the Cubs at the end of June. This last month they have been impressive by scoring against some quality pitching teams and drilling bad ones. Before that, it was pretty shaky, not stable, and small feast or famine.

Let’s put June in context. The team played an unprecedented amount of bad pitching teams in June, please remember. They played the Rockies and Diamondbacks seven time each! Throw in the the Pirates and Tigers too…not even the Reds in the first June series were .500 yet(they were the next series).

When they came back and drilled the Cubs is where it began for me.

Yes, after the Reds completed their string of 6 wins in 7 games over the Brewers at AFF, I expressed the opinion that, at that time, the Reds looked like the best team in the division. If someone who doesn’t like to hear opinions that differ from his interprets that as “anointing them as division champs”, that’s his prerogative.

The Reds looked really good at the All Star Break. Most Brewers fans were, in my opinion, in agreement that they looked better than the Brewers at this time, even though records favored the Brewers.

I have been impressed with the Brewers offense since the sweep of the Cubs at the end of June. This last month they have been impressive by scoring against some quality pitching teams and drilling bad ones. Before that, it was pretty shaky, not stable, and small feast or famine.

Let’s put June in context. The team played an unprecedented amount of bad pitching teams in June, please remember. They played the Rockies and Diamondbacks seven time each! Throw in the the Pirates and Tigers too…not even the Reds in the first June series were .500 yet(they were the next series).

My confidence after that Cubs series, and then the first three games of the Pirates series that completed the 11 game winning streak, was shaken by the last 8 games before the AS break in which they went 2-6 while scoring just 19 runs. The series in Cincinnati, the White Sox series, and Friday’s comeback win, provide some more solid evidence that the offense can produce runs against teams other than bottom feeders.

My confidence after that Cubs series, and then the first three games of the Pirates series that completed the 11 game winning streak, was shaken by the last 8 games before the AS break in which they went 2-6 while scoring just 19 runs. The series in Cincinnati, the White Sox series, and Friday’s comeback win, provide some more solid evidence that the offense can produce runs against teams other than bottom feeders.

They also were completing like 34 games in 35 days at that point. Stuff like that matters.

• 2 weeks later...

Brewers are currently 11th in MLB in runs scored on the season & after pouring it on the Cubs yesterday have now scored thee most runs in MLB since the Adames trade.

Position player wRC+ is up to 99 on the season (110 post 5/22), which combined with top three base running & the second best defense has position player WAR currently 8th in MLB.

Current position players with season Brewers totals (PAs | wRC+ | WAR)...

Willy (301 | 148 | 3.5)

Omar (318 | 125 | 3.3)

Avisail (394 | 113 | 2.0)

Kolten (317 | 112 | 2.0)

Urias (408 | 113 | 1.8)

Jace (179 | 124 | 1.2)

Tyrone (232 | 103 | 1.0)

Lorenzo (167 | 93 | 0.9)

Manny (150 | 73 | 0.8)

Yelich (296 | 101 | 0.8)

Rowdy (82 | 155 | 0.6)

Escobar (57 | 164 | 0.5)

JBJ (352 | 51 | 0.0)

I wish we had Escobar on the Wong deal.

Tellez- 1B

Urias- 2B

Escobar- 3B

Adames- SS

That would be great next season.

I wish we had Escobar on the Wong deal.

Tellez- 1B

Urias- 2B

Escobar- 3B

Adames- SS

That would be great next season.

We'd probably have little trouble trading Wong in the offseason if they wanted to go that route. Not sure what kind of contract Escobar would be looking for though.

Yelich- LF

Adames- SS

Escobar- 3B

Narvaez- C

Garcia- RF

Tellez- 1B

Urias- 2B

Cain/JBJ- CF

This assumes Garcia back and JBJ taking his option but I really like that lineup.