Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' Offense

RobDeer 45

Cain sounds like he pretty much checked out since opting out last season pretty much admitting he didn't even try to stay in shape. At this point we shouldn't be expecting much out of him. Taylor has shown himself to be a pretty decent player and should be given a chance to play a lot more despite the two older veterans who don't have much upside.

Sounds like this is 90% conjecture and 10% reality.

Cain himself admitted to not staying in shape last season and struggled getting himself game ready this spring.

Link please.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately it doesn't. It has another poster saying that it "sounds like Cain has cashed out" because he didn't spend the pandemic offseason training at a closed training facility. And that he maybe didn't run all that much during baseball's offseason, so probably the same thing most baseball players do.

Bradley is one case where I really have no idea what he'll do. If he declines the option, he gets $6.5 million, but then he loses the $8 million buyout option for the next year right? Does he take the option next year, hope for a better year top get paid the next year (plus $8 million)? Or decline the option, take $6.5 and hope for something more than the additional $3 million next year?

My guess is that we are stuck with him, eating up a spot on the roster and the cash we have to pay him...

Why would he leave with all that money on the table and playing like garbage. He'll cash in, and hope to rebound next year imo.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/4626623001

Some blurbs and quotes from this article:

Despite the setback, Cain said he thought he prepared as best he could during a pandemic over the offseason after sitting out most of the 2020 campaign.

Yeah, 100%. My wife made me go out and buy a treadmill this offseason,” Cain said. “That’s something I thought I’d never buy. I ran a lot on the treadmill; I worked out as much as I could as far as the offseason.

“I know I came in, in pretty good shape. The baseball shape is something I need to hone in on, and get a feel for again. I’m up for the challenge. I’ll be on the field as soon as this quad is ready to go.”

Sounds almost the opposite of what you're saying, brewers888. Always good to double check things and not rely on hearsay.

BTW, I'm not saying the poster in the Cain injury thread was lying or passing along bad information. Just sometimes things get misinterpreted or taken out of context from person to person and before you know it, "I chased my kids around a lot" turns into "I ate junk food with my kids every day and never worked out once."

Edited by adambr2

Bradley is one case where I really have no idea what he'll do. If he declines the option, he gets $6.5 million, but then he loses the $8 million buyout option for the next year right? Does he take the option next year, hope for a better year top get paid the next year (plus $8 million)? Or decline the option, take $6.5 and hope for something more than the additional $3 million next year?

The way it's structured makes it look a bit more complicated than it is. What it boils down to is that if he doesn't exercise his player option for 2022, it's a 1 yr $13m contract If he opts in, it's a 2yr $24m deal. The way it's done with the options and such is for accounting/cashflow purposes. That mutual option for 2023 is designed so as to 100% be declined by (at least) one side.

But anyway back to the point, it's an interesting decision. Does he feel like he can get more than $11m guaranteed if he opts out? I think it depends on the rest of the season. His full-season numbers are shot, they'll never look good, but a strong end to the season would suggest he's not finished as a player, and if so it's not unreasonable to think he might get more than $11m. But if the season was to end today, I'm sure he'd opt in and take the $11m.

At the All Star Break...

Kolten has missed over 40% of the games, Lorenzo has missed over 65% of the games, Yelich has missed over 35% of the games & only posted a 116 wRC+ when he has played.

Seven players, JBJ (49 wRC+), Hiura (60 wRC+), Shaw (70 wRC+), Manny (62 wRC+), McKinney (64 wRC+), Robertson (65 wRC+) and Reyes (40 wRC+) have taken 1,038 of the 3,263 position player PAs, or 31.8%, with a collective wRC+ of about 59.

Yet, despite all those less than ideal outcomes, Brewers position players have still posted 11.5 WAR, the 13th highest total in MLB. While their 96 wRC+ only ranks 20th, their +5.3 on the bases comes in 6th with their +20.3 on defense ranking 2nd.

Interestingly, of the twelve teams with higher position player WAR than the Brewers so far, only two have a position player wRC+ below 105. Care to guess which two teams?

Ok, you got it. Tampa Bay (101 wRC+) & Oakland (102 wRC+). TB is also +7.8 on the bases & +10.9 on defense adding up to 14.1 WAR (6th), while OAK is +3.4 on the bases & +6.6 on defense coming in at 13.6 WAR (8th).

It appears as though the great minds with limited budgets may be thinking along similar wavelengths.

In the 49 games since the Adames trade the Brewers have scored the 4th most runs (244, 4.98 per game) in MLB while also posting the 6th highest WAR (8.6) among position players with a 107 wRC+, +3.6 on the bases & +10.2 on defense.

From the beginning of the season through May 21st, when the Brewers were scoring 3.66 runs per game, there were 404 posts in this thread, or about 9.18 posts per game.

Since the Brewers acquired Willy Adames & started scoring almost five runs per game, there have been 140 posts in this thread, or about 2.86 posts per game.

Internet commenters aren’t fond of prosperity, apparently.

https://amp.jsonline.com/amp/4626623001

Some blurbs and quotes from this article:

Despite the setback, Cain said he thought he prepared as best he could during a pandemic over the offseason after sitting out most of the 2020 campaign.

Yeah, 100%. My wife made me go out and buy a treadmill this offseason,” Cain said. “That’s something I thought I’d never buy. I ran a lot on the treadmill; I worked out as much as I could as far as the offseason.

“I know I came in, in pretty good shape. The baseball shape is something I need to hone in on, and get a feel for again. I’m up for the challenge. I’ll be on the field as soon as this quad is ready to go.”

Sounds almost the opposite of what you're saying, brewers888. Always good to double check things and not rely on hearsay.

BTW, I'm not saying the poster in the Cain injury thread was lying or passing along bad information. Just sometimes things get misinterpreted or taken out of context from person to person and before you know it, "I chased my kids around a lot" turns into "I ate junk food with my kids every day and never worked out once."

I think brewers888 is referring to McCalvy's article on 2/4/21, which contradicts the article that you linked:

“The legs are coming,” he said. “They’re not where I want them to be, but they will get there before it’s time to play.”

From a physical standpoint, Cain concedes he is in nowhere near as good a place as this time last year. His running consisted mostly of chasing his three boys, who have celebrated birthdays Nos. 3, 5 and 6 since the end of a Brewers season which Cain followed via television and FaceTime with teammates. Due to pandemic restrictions, the baseball facilities at OU were closed to outsiders -- even Major Leaguers in possession of a World Series ring -- so Cain didn’t see much in the way of live pitching before Wednesday, when he planned to stand in the batter’s box and track pitches during live batting practice.

From the beginning of the season through May 21st, when the Brewers were scoring 3.66 runs per game, there were 404 posts in this thread, or about 9.18 posts per game.

Since the Brewers acquired Willy Adames & started scoring almost five runs per game, there have been 140 posts in this thread, or about 2.86 posts per game.

Kind of normal, no? One is more apt to give a bad review then a good one.

Kind of normal, no? One is more apt to give a bad review then a good one.

It’s certainly normal for complaints to outnumber compliments, I just thought this thread provided an interesting example to demonstrate the magnitude thereof.

3.2 to 1 is actually a little lower than I was expecting. Thought it might be closer to 5 to 1.

Then again some percentage of the post-Adames trade comments were surely complaints during the 5 game losing streak in June & the 2-6 stretch before the ASB, so maybe that 5 to 1 ratio might not be that far off after all.

Thanks for this data. Appreciated.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

FanGraphs has been publishing their positional Replacement Level Killers series this week, with center field dropping today...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-2021-replacement-level-killers-center-field-and-designated-hitter/

Even with Lorenzo Cain being hurt & JBJ hitting like a silver slugger pitcher runner up, the Brewers did not make an appearance in the article because their CF baserunning (+2.5, 7th) and defense (+9.3 UZR, 1st / +7 DRS, 4th) is enough to offset their below average offense (80 wRC+, 23rd), with their overall contribution (1.6 WAR) ranking 12th among all teams.

FanGraphs has been publishing their positional Replacement Level Killers series this week, with center field dropping today...

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-2021-replacement-level-killers-center-field-and-designated-hitter/

Even with Lorenzo Cain being hurt & JBJ hitting like a silver slugger pitcher runner up, the Brewers did not make an appearance in the article because their CF baserunning (+2.5, 7th) and defense (+9.3 UZR, 1st / +7 DRS, 4th) is enough to offset their below average offense (80 wRC+, 23rd), with their overall contribution (1.6 WAR) ranking 12th among all teams.

With all the offensive frustration we've collectively expressed, I was a bit surprised that the Crew only showed up in this series at First Base.

All the more reason to go out and spend for one of the four or five that would be good fits. (And for goodness sake, get Rowdy and Keston some AAA abs)

And Taylor is yanked in and out of the lineup and roster consistently. Get the guy some consistent at bats and then we’ll see what he can really do! Bradley starting so much is mind boggling. He hit the ball hard tonight, but still. Start Taylor and use Bradley to play late defense. Cain can sit too if he is his normal self. I really don’t care about the contract or amount of money we are sitting.

This bat needs to play and it is hot right now. Let’s keep it hot in Milwaukee… not Nashville.

I also agree with others here on the whole 1B situation. Play Hiura and maybe even Rowdy at AA and AAA. Get them at bats. Go out and get a legitimate #5 hitting 1B for this group.

And Taylor is yanked in and out of the lineup and roster consistently. Get the guy some consistent at bats and then we’ll see what he can really do! Bradley starting so much is mind boggling. He hit the ball hard tonight, but still. Start Taylor and use Bradley to play late defense. Cain can sit too if he is his normal self. I really don’t care about the contract or amount of money we are sitting.

This bat needs to play and it is hot right now. Let’s keep it hot in Milwaukee… not Nashville.

I also agree with others here on the whole 1B situation. Play Hiura and maybe even Rowdy at AA and AAA. Get them at bats. Go out and get a legitimate #5 hitting 1B for this group.

How about they sit Yelich for a couple games and play Taylor instead. Yeli is killing this team right now.

#Brewers team batting average since:

May 22nd: .241 (Tied for 19th in MLB)

June 1st: .248 (Tied for 13th in MLB)

June 15th: .257 (8th in MLB)

July 1st: .265 (Tied for 4th in MLB)

July 15th: .290 (Best in all of MLB)

That agenda of how terrible our offense is has gone away. Far, far away.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It went away because we improved our offense. The people calling for changes got them, I'm sure not everyone is satisfied but the subtraction of Shaw, Hiura, Reyes, Robertson, McKinney and whoever else I'm missing combined with the addition Adames and the surges that Peterson and Urias had arund the same time really changed the offense quite a bit. I don't think it was an agenda, the offense stunk, Stearns did some great work making it not stink. And the moves to get Tellez and Escobar make it pretty consistent 1-8 once Yelich is back and JBJ isn't starting quite as much.

Just read some IGT’s that are 1-2 weeks old. Yes, there has been great changes made but the agenda by the loudest is that our offense stinks even though outside of April, this team has been good to very good in that department. It’s a great thing to feel the hush of that crowd but they’ll be back out in full force the next cold snap.

It went away because we improved our offense. The people calling for changes got them, I'm sure not everyone is satisfied but the subtraction of Shaw, Hiura, Reyes, Robertson, McKinney and whoever else I'm missing combined with the addition Adames and the surges that Peterson and Urias had arund the same time really changed the offense quite a bit. I don't think it was an agenda, the offense stunk, Stearns did some great work making it not stink. And the moves to get Tellez and Escobar make it pretty consistent 1-8 once Yelich is back and JBJ isn't starting quite as much.

Exactly. The comments about the Brewers offense were not an “agenda”, they were based on fact.

We don’t have to go back any farther than June 16 to find the Brewers trying (unsuccessfully) to avoid a 3 game sweep by the Reds by fielding a lineup of Urias (.219), Vogelbach (.224), Yelich (.245), Garcia (.239), Pina (.147), Peterson (..160), Lopes (.125), Robertson (.138), Peralta (.048).

Not surprisingly, that Murderers Row produced just 1 run in a 2-1 defeat, just one example of several games in the first half of the season in which the Brewers lost while allowing only two runs. The game ended with a strikeout by pinch hitter Jackie Bradley Junior, who was hitting .153.

After that game, the Brewers were 11th in the NL in runs scored and had a run differential of 0. Fans who were down on the offense didn’t need to have an agenda; they were justifiably frustrated that the offense was wasting so many good pitching performances. That frustration resurfaced in the 8 games preceding the All Star break when the Brewers went 2-6 while scoring 3 runs or less in all of the losses, again not taking advantage of good pitching.

With the additions to the roster, players returning from injury, and others emerging in varying degrees from slumps, hopefully we won’t have to see any more lineups like that this season, and those 0-2 run outputs will be a lot less common than they were before the All Star Break, including the week just before the break.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I was at that 2-1 game, and it was brutal. I think there five backward ks in that game. Lifeless. I went to four games in April, May, and June and the Brewers scored a total of two runs. There was good reason to despair if you were a Brewer fan. It makes games like last night even more enjoyable.