Brewer Fanatic

Brewers' Offense

RobDeer 45

Justin Turner was mentioned a bit.

He could always go the trade route. Our farm system isn't strong, but he could certainly get improvements via trade without giving up a ton. We picked up Narvaez for peanuts despite being a good hitting catcher and a decent track record. It would not be expensive to acquire a 1B or even an OFer instead of sinking $20mil+ into Garcia/JBJ. FA is flat out not the only way he can build and find decent offensive bats. We can't afford to go acquire three Christian Yelich's, but that isn't what we need.

Of course the DH would be nice so we could invest into something at 1B for offense. Right now an investment is blocking or interfering with Hiura on the MLB roster. As it stands we are currently shooting ourselves in the foot every year Hiura flops. Same thing we did at SS for years so Arcia would have somewhere to prove himself.

• Replies 682
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, all of these players Ray, Hiura, Turang and Mitchell were known quantities and well regarded for their offense. It can’t be laid at the GM’s feet that Ray and Hiura’s advanced college bats have been disappointing as professionals.

I usually wouldn't put direct blame on a GM when it comes to a draft pick, and I don't put all the blame on Stearns, but that Corey Ray pick was criticized pretty heavily by many. I would say most fans hated that pick and even experts thought it was a questionable pick. I think a GM is a bit more involved evaluating a draft pick when they are a Top 5 pick that was a college bat. If I recall Ray was considered a bit more raw for a college bat, but still, looks like we really messed that one up.

I also think they dropped the ball a bit thinking Hiura could play passable 2B, but I suppose the offensive ceiling was high enough to take the risk. Still, I don't think they were trying to select a 1B at #9 in the draft.

Kind of brutal we selected Top 10 twice, took college bats, and both don't look very good at this point. Even if Hiura turn it around he is a 1B now...really a huge hit to his value.

I usually wouldn't put direct blame on a GM when it comes to a draft pick, and I don't put all the blame on Stearns, but that Corey Ray pick was criticized pretty heavily by many. I would say most fans hated that pick and even experts thought it was a questionable pick. I think a GM is a bit more involved evaluating a draft pick when they are a Top 5 pick that was a college bat. If I recall Ray was considered a bit more raw for a college bat, but still, looks like we really messed that one up.

I also think they dropped the ball a bit thinking Hiura could play passable 2B, but I suppose the offensive ceiling was high enough to take the risk. Still, I don't think they were trying to select a 1B at #9 in the draft.

Kind of brutal we selected Top 10 twice, took college bats, and both don't look very good at this point. Even if Hiura turn it around he is a 1B now...really a huge hit to his value.

Getting nothing from a college player drafted #5 a half decade ago is brutal, however the 2016 draft hasn't been a real stand out one for first round picks. Funny, but so far the best First Rounder in that was Ray's teammate at Lousiville, Will Smith #32 overall (who I'm sure the Brewers scouts saw quite often).

Even doing a re-draft of the First round, if they were going college bat, there's really only Kyle Lewis who went #11 to Seattle and he's a .792 OPS hitter so far in his young career.

So far, the first round of the 2017 draft isn't shaping up much better. Hiura has way more experience than anyone else drafted but the other college bats taken in the first round have done virtually nothing so far.

Getting nothing from a college player drafted #5 a half decade ago is brutal, however the 2016 draft hasn't been a real stand out one for first round picks. Funny, but so far the best First Rounder in that was Ray's teammate at Lousiville, Will Smith #32 overall (who I'm sure the Brewers scouts saw quite often).

Even doing a re-draft of the First round, if they were going college bat, there's really only Kyle Lewis who went #11 to Seattle and he's a .792 OPS hitter so far in his young career.

So far, the first round of the 2017 draft isn't shaping up much better. Hiura has way more experience than anyone else drafted but the other college bats taken in the first round have done virtually nothing so far.

I did look back on that 2016 draft and saw the first round was pretty dang brutal. However, I don't see relevance in comparing either player specifically to other college bats. I doubt Stearns was specifically targeting college bats, especially in the Top 10. He almost surely was targeting BPA. If he was targeting college bats and was set on one he can definitely take direct blame for any failures those picks have. I don't think that was the case though.

• 4 weeks later...
I've been around for every year of the Brewer's existence and seen hundreds of games in person in that time. My memory isn't perfect, but that lineup I saw on Wednesday with 5-8 of Pina, Peterson, Lopes and Robertson, might have been the worst lineup I've seen. Even worse than the 72 team that featured Rick Auerbach and Ron Theobald as everyday players. Sure the game has changed but boy that was tough to watch. Could somebody please tell Counsell that you don't need to rest more than one of your better offensive players at a time when you have a bench full of minor league players.

The only way this team scores is if the opponent walks a ton of guys. This team flat out can't hit and someone needs to be held accountable. Maybe firing Haines solves nothing but there is absolutely no downside to firing him as he is clearly incompetent.

Stearns needs to take a hit for how poorly he has done in putting together a decent lineup. We struggled big time last season and he did little to improve the offense in the offseason. Pitching and defense is important to have but you just can't have a team batting average hovering near .200 and expect to win.

4game lossing streak. 4hits, 4hits, 5hits, and 3hits in those 4 games. Oppenents scored more runs than we had hits. How much longer does the futility have to continue to fire Haines? Are we waiting for the team BA to dip below .200?

The Brewers don’t even get a lot of hits when they win. I think it was 5 on Sunday, but they were bunched up enough and included 4 XBH so they got 5 runs even with a stretch of 15 retired in a row by a pitcher with an ERA around 8.

I think they were outhit in the 10 game stretch in which they went 9-1. Almost perfect pitching and scoring on walks and HRs is not a sustainable formula for success.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

I've been around for every year of the Brewer's existence and seen hundreds of games in person in that time. My memory isn't perfect, but that lineup I saw on Wednesday with 5-8 of Pina, Peterson, Lopes and Robertson, might have been the worst lineup I've seen. Even worse than the 72 team that featured Rick Auerbach and Ron Theobald as everyday players. Sure the game has changed but boy that was tough to watch. Could somebody please tell Counsell that you don't need to rest more than one of your better offensive players at a time when you have a bench full of minor league players.

As soon as you saw that lineup, you knew a shutout was the only hope they had of winning.

That got me to thinking, will we ever see a Brewer play 162 games? Certainly not under Counsell. I know it's a different year after covid, but with all the days off, what ever happened to your best players playing every day?

Whoa solved? Both the offense and the apostrophe? Or is it no apostrophe. I'm terrible with this type of stuff. But all I really care is that the offense is solved.....hopefully.

thank you. i was -reluctantly- accepting of the singular possessive, because it tricked me into believing that the struggle was just with a single brewer.

but unfortunately, we've been frustrated with brewers' offense and not brewer's offense.

That got me to thinking, will we ever see a Brewer play 162 games? Certainly not under Counsell. I know it's a different year after covid, but with all the days off, what ever happened to your best players playing every day?

Players stopped playing every day long before COVID.

In 2019 there were five guys that played all 162, in 2018 there were seven, in 2017 there were five, in 2016 there were three, in 2015 there was only one, in 2014 there were four, etc.

Even picking a random season in the middle of the steroid era, 1999, there were only five guys that played all 162.

The only way this team scores is if the opponent walks a ton of guys. This team flat out can't hit and someone needs to be held accountable. Maybe firing Haines solves nothing but there is absolutely no downside to firing him as he is clearly incompetent.

I was thinking the same thing this morning... the Rockies gift wrapped and loaded the bases last night with a pitcher that couldn't throw a strike and the only way we score is with a blind-squirrel-finds-a-nut hit. We had so many lead runners on last night that I lost count, but we couldn't do anything about it. Pathetic

Brew Crew: Don't Let Me Down

In 2019 there were five guys that played all 162, in 2018 there were seven, in 2017 there were five, in 2016 there were three, in 2015 there was only one, in 2014 there were four, etc.

Even picking a random season in the middle of the steroid era, 1999, there were only five guys that played all 162.

This is one of the reasons I would like to see MLB reduce the number of games played. Go from 162 games to 100 games. Losing 62 games won't kill the leagues profits and if it does just add more playoff teams.

Going back to last season, we’ve had a crappy offense for 129 games now. Stearns simply hasn’t gotten the job done when it comes to constructing the offense. Not sure if he needs to take a new approach or what but something needs to give.

This is one of the reasons I would like to see MLB reduce the number of games played. Go from 162 games to 100 games. Losing 62 games won't kill the leagues profits and if it does just add more playoff teams.

I think losing 37% of the games would very significantly reduce the leagues' profits. The players would never go for it either because their salaries would also be reduced accordingly. Adding more playoff teams would help very little because half of the teams are eliminated after their first playoff series. If a team only averages 15,000 per game, they still lose 465,000 tickets, plus consessions, parking, etc... Advertising revenue would also be reduced significantly. I agree that 162 games is too much, but IMO taking it to around 150 would be ideal.

I think the idea was that Hiura could play a passable 2nd base, just like Rickie Weeks could. Both are among the worst defensive MLB 2b of the last 20 years. Hiura and Weeks both have decent arm strength, but terrible footwork and accuracy. Weeks scare me every time he tried to backhand a ball up the middle, or covered 1st on a bunt. Hiura only gave me slightly more confidence. If Hiura starts to hit, he'll find a position. But if he doesn't hit, there is no position.

I think losing 37% of the games would very significantly reduce the leagues' profits. The players would never go for it either because their salaries would also be reduced accordingly. Adding more playoff teams would help very little because half of the teams are eliminated after their first playoff series. If a team only averages 15,000 per game, they still lose 465,000 tickets, plus consessions, parking, etc... Advertising revenue would also be reduced significantly. I agree that 162 games is too much, but IMO taking it to around 150 would be ideal.

---------

Especially since MLB doesn't share revenue like other sports. Small market teams really do need the attendance money since they don't get the huge TV contracts and the big markets don't share theirs with them. Yes some more playoff TV money spread out would help but not enough to cover that big of a cut. Go from 162 to like 150-155, yea is feasible.

Is there a breakdown of what their batting average is by month?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Is there a breakdown of what their batting average is by month?

They were hitting .215 through April 30th. They hit .207 in May. They are hitting .204 in June through last night.

That's discouraging.

The Brewers are last in MLB, with a .209 team batting average. The all time record for lowest team batting average is the 1910 White Sox, who hit .211.

League average batting average was .256 for position players in 1910, so the White Sox position players ended up with an 85 AVG+.

League average batting average for position players is down to .242 so far this year, so the Brewers position players currently have an AVG+ of 89.

Over the last twenty full seasons (2000-2019) only three out of 600 teams seasons have come in with an AVG+ of 90. None have been lower.

In the sixty game 2020 schedule there were four teams between an 86-89 AVG+, this year there are two so far at an 89.

There are multiple factors at work here. One is it's literally never been harder to get a hit, another is we're comparing results over a 68 game sample with results from 154/162 game samples & the third would be the team batting average is currently dragged down by players like Hiura/Shaw/McKinney (67 for 378, .177 combined) who figure to get considerably fewer opportunities moving forward.

Assuming health for our primary starters, there are numerous indicators the team batting average should improve over the course of the next 94 games. For whatever it is or isn't worth, ZiPS projects the seven players likely to get the majority of the remaining plate appearances for averages of .271 (Yelich), .270 (Wong), .261 (Avi & Omar), .243 (Urias), .242 (Adames) & .234 (Vogelbach).