Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-08: Brewers (Burnes) at Cardinals (Wainwright) [Brewers lose, 3-1 -- Burnes is masterful allowing 1 hit and 0 walks w/ 9 strikeouts; Devil Magic proves too strong]

Eye Black

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Community Moderator

Corbin Burnes over his career has been feast or famine versus this current collection of Cardinals hitters. Amazingly 35 of their 45 at bats against him has ended in either a strike out (19) or base hit (16).

Among those 16 hits, 5 have been home runs, but he only gave up 1 HR over his two short appearances (4.2 IP and 3.2 IP) against the Cardinals last season (both came in September).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Nothing can beat 2004 Sheets as far as lack of run support for a whole year. I'm going on a limb it won't be that bad.

Check out deGrom with the Mets.

He just never gets run support.

He must be the most frustrated pitcher in MLB on a yearly basis.

Nothing can beat 2004 Sheets as far as lack of run support for a whole year. I'm going on a limb it won't be that bad.

Check out deGrom with the Mets.

He just never gets run support.

He must be the most frustrated pitcher in MLB on a yearly basis.

Ben Sheets in 2004 went 12-14 with a 2.7 ERA and 2.65 FIP.

Jacob Degrom won the Cy Young in 2018 with a 1.7 ERA and 1.98 FIP and a 10-9 record.

I don't know how to find run support stats, but that's really bad for both pitcher. I would say slightly worse for Degrom. I also have Degrom on my fantasy team, so I'm well aware of how many 7+ inning outings with 2 or less runs didn't result in a win.

Might be playing through some rain today. Not a huge chance but some.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

Here’s a Ripley’s Believe It or Not fun fact....

Last season Corbin Burnes won four games. In those four wins the Brewers outscored their opponents a combined 40-2.

Might be playing through some rain today. Not a huge chance but some.

Yeah, interested to see if they postpone at some point soon given a great forecast for tomorrow's off day.

EDIT: Saturday's forecast looks really bad, so guessing there's at least one PPD. We'll see.

Community Moderator
Ben Sheets in 2004 went 12-14 with a 2.7 ERA and 2.65 FIP.

Jacob Degrom won the Cy Young in 2018 with a 1.7 ERA and 1.98 FIP and a 10-9 record.

I don't know how to find run support stats, but that's really bad for both pitcher. I would say slightly worse for Degrom. I also have Degrom on my fantasy team, so I'm well aware of how many 7+ inning outings with 2 or less runs didn't result in a win.

I don’t know how to find average run support, but Baseball Reference splits allows you to find how many total runs a team scored for the entire game when a pitcher started on their player splits pages. Here is the breakdown for those two seasons in game’s started for each pitcher:

Ben Sheets 2004

34 Games Started

0-2 Runs Scored: 14 times (1-12 record in those games)

3-5 Runs Scored: 12 times (7-2 record in those games)

6+ Runs Scored: 8 times (4-0 record in those games)

Jacob deGrom 2018

32 Games Started

0-2 Runs Scored: 12 times (0-7 record in those games)

3-5 Runs Scored: 13 times (5-2 record in those games)

6+ Runs Scored: 7 times (5-0 record in those games)

Also, this was noted in a previous In-Game Thread, but the Brewers have scored 0-2 runs for the entire game in over half of Adrian Houser’s career starts. That’s 0-2 total runs in 16 of his 30 starts.

Wong back in there and Huria still bumming in the 2 hole.

Wong

Huria

Yeli

Shaw

JBJ

Cain

Narvaez

Urias

Burnes

Wainwright has pretty low velocity, this isn't a bad opportunity for Hiura to right things. Wainwright relies pretty heavily on a pretty nasty(and slow) curve, which is something Hiura is good at hitting when he's right. Here's hoping...

From Adam McCalvy:

Paul Goldschmidt being out of the Cardinals lineup today (lower back) removes one of the all-time Brewer-killers from Corbin Burnes' plate -- including 5-for-11 with a homer off Burnes himself.

EyeFpldWUAAvdqn?format=jpg&name=900x900

Ha! I remember adding or drafting Odubel Herrera all the time in fantasy because of how amazing he was against the Brewers.

Community Moderator
Regarding that chart, two of the top four All-Time “Brewer-killers” were [predominantly] Rockies during their appearances versus the Brewers. Let’s hope Arenado’s past success against the Crew begins to dissipate very quickly going forward.

Archived