Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-07: Brewers (Woodruff) at Cubs (Hendricks) [Brewers win, 4-2 in 10 innings -- Woodruff allows just one hit over 7 IP; Cain hits two late inning go-ahead home runs]

Eye Black
  • Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It’s Woody’s second start of a long year after a hugely abbreviated and bizarre season last year. I have no issues with replacing Woodruff there. I’m not sure it is reasonable to expect many guys, including Woodruff, to give 200 innings this season, and I’m down with easing starters into 100-pitch games in April. Tempest in a teapot.

This isn't an innings thing, or shouldn't be. There will probably be some starts where he labors and throws 100 pitches in 5 innings. When you are at 74, that is the equivalent of 5 innings in a normal start. He wouldn't have been pulled after 5 innings and 74 pitches so why do it just because he went 7 innings? Doubt the extra couple of innings of warmup pitches were a killer.

You do it after 7 and not 5 because you have (in theory, not necessarily practice—ie, Joc’s HR) fresher and more effective bullpen arms to take it the rest of the way. Your A team can cover two or three innings of a tied or close-led game, but probably not 4 such innings. Woody is likely to be counted on for many more high-leverage pitches and innings later in the year than will Freddy, as much as I hope Freddy continues his breakout. Bank some more pitches now for Woodruff, I say.

I get what your saying but I don't necessarily agree with it. I'm not convinced an ace like Woody with 74 pitches thrown still isn't better than a bullpen option. And I still think for guys like Woodruff, he should be allowed to make that call to go back out for the next inning. And I will assume that was not the case. And I am also partially swayed in this instance by the way Williams looked on Monday.

What I DO have a problem with, on the subject of in-game management, and as others have noted, is pigeonholing Hader to the “closer” role. The only thing I can say about it is that Hader seems to like it, and so it may have psychological performance benefits for Hader. But I do not like it analytically at all. I’d prefer a matchup based approach with relievers.

Community Moderator
I am sure that Pederson's very ss success against Woody played some small role in the decision. I think it was a bad move, but it's closer than it seems at first blush for me...

I think the other thing Counsell may cite is that Woodruff’s command (which had been absolutely pinpoint through most of the game) had started to loosen a bit in the 7th inning.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived