Brewer Fanatic

Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel

markedman5
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
All their options are bad ones.

There is no real help on the way anytime soon at SS or any position for that matter.

This. No good options, so rather than play musical chairs, the most realistic answer is to let Urias figure it out. Should be noted, though, that of the six games Strange-Gordon has played for Nashville, all have been at SS. It wouldn't surprise me to see him eventually work into the utility mix if his bat continues to stay hot.

There is no real help on the way anytime soon at SS or any position for that matter.

Don't agree with that, it is very easy to make incremental improvements that can help them at least score more than zero. There is no reason Shaw should continue to be hitting lefties on a regular basis since Green is in the system. Green isn't great but could hit lefties when necessary.

Don't agree with that, it is very easy to make incremental improvements that can help them at least score more than zero. There is no reason Shaw should continue to be hitting lefties on a regular basis since Green is in the system. Green isn't great but could hit lefties when necessary.

He isn't, he has 4 starts all year in which it was against a lefty starter. Pablo Reyes has twice as many starts at 3B against lefty starters and he wasn't on the team till almost May.

Now if you want to argue for Green over Reyes on the roster, have at it. I think I would rather have Green at 1B though. His 3B defense doesn't seem to be great and Shaw/Reyes have looked pretty good at 3B all season.

Ok, so call up Green, who is a 27 year old career minor league journeyman and has been in the minors for his entire career for a reason.

If you're extremely, extremely lucky, you'll get a Casey McGehee story. The far more likely scenario is no improvement or an improvement which moves the offensive bar basically not at all.

There is no help on the way at any position in the realm of strong MLB ready prospects who could be reasonably expected to contribute at a high level offensively. The only one is Keston Hiura and only if something really clicks for him soon.

I have no problem with giving Zach Green a shot, but the fact that a 27 year old minor league journeyman with 14 career MLB at-bats was the first name that came up when I said there is no real help on the way kind of proves my point that there is no real help on the way.

Ok, so call up Green, who is a 27 year old career minor league journeyman and has been in the minors for his entire career for a reason.

If you're extremely, extremely lucky, you'll get a Casey McGehee story. The far more likely scenario is no improvement or an improvement which moves the offensive bar basically not at all.

There is no help on the way at any position in the realm of strong MLB ready prospects who could be reasonably expected to contribute at a high level offensively. The only one is Keston Hiura and only if something really clicks for him soon.

I have no problem with giving Zach Green a shot, but the fact that a 27 year old minor league journeyman with 14 career MLB at-bats was the first name that came up when I said there is no real help on the way kind of proves my point that there is no real help on the way.

I tend to agree with you but the last two seasons Green has had an OPS north of 1.000 so it's worth a shot. Some guys just take a while to figure stuff out so might as well see. However, if they did bring him up I doubt he would get an extended look to see what he can put together with consistent at bats.

Jesus Aguilar would be nice right about now. We talked about how bad he was playing in 2019 when he had an OPS of .694...what we wouldn't give for that now. Hell, even Ji Man Choi! Send away those guys and we are stuck with Vogelbach...SMH

The fact that Zach Green is 27 and two months old shouldn't be held against him. His 26 year old season was wiped out. He upped his game at age 25 in AAA and he was blocked by 3 high priced veterans at the corner infield spots. Garrett Cooper made his major league debut at 26 years 8 months, and didn't establish himself as a major league regular until he was 28. There's a lot of guys who probably would be major leaguers now if the 2020 minor league season hadn't been wiped out.

Really what's the delay on Green at this point? For roster issues, the swap with Pablo makes sense, but do they want his middle infield abilities as a backup to those spots? So then you'd probably be letting Vog go and they don't want to straight up lose him? I don't know, but not sure I'd worry too much about that. I generally like the guy and he's come up with some good hits but really he's just a guy. If Green flops you can probably get him back easily or someone similar off the waiver wire.

Also, not like I'm saying Green is gonna mash. But with how bad the O is you kind of want to try and add something. He at least helps vs lefties, in theory. Worth a shot, hope you can get something out of him

My issue with Green isn't age, it's that he has strikeout rates of 33%, 35% and 37% (this year) in his last three AAA campaigns. Makes me think it'll be tough to carry over that OPS to the majors. At this point it might not hurt to try him anyway, but we should really temper our expectations.

My issue with Green isn't age, it's that he has strikeout rates of 33%, 35% and 37% (this year) in his last three AAA campaigns. Makes me think it'll be tough to carry over that OPS to the majors. At this point it might not hurt to try him anyway, but we should really temper our expectations.

For sure. If you strike out a lot in the minors it will only be exaggerated in the MLB.

Giving Green a shot is fine. It's not like our existing options are better.

As others have pointed our, expectations should be tempered.

Realistically I would guess he strikes out 40% of the time at this level and makes no noticeable difference.

If there is any offensive improvement to be had with this team, it is going to have to come internally from Yelich, from Hiura, from JBJ, from Urias. Guys with real upside or who are underperforming.

We can mix and match with everything else we have but we just don't have MLB-ready help in the minors.

I predict we will see Perez in Milwaukee before we see Green.

Would have rather seen Perez than Shaw last night. McKinney is pretty much useless right now, DFA him and try somebody else, maybe they can have some beginner's luck like Mckinney had his first 10 games. They have had so many bas position player at the major league level, give somebody different a shot.

They maybe haven't had a long-term 1B but they've been fine over there most seasons since Fielder.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

Melvin's post-Prince 1B were ugly posting a 90 wRC+ (29th) & -1.8 WAR (29th) from 2012-15.

They've been much improved since Stearns & company arrived posting a 116 wRC+ (11th) & 9.0 WAR (13th) from 2016 through now.

I predict we will see Perez in Milwaukee before we see Green.

Perez might end up the starting shortstop in Milwaukee if he keeps hitting like he has so far at Nashville.

If Counsell is still making up the line-up cards, I have no doubt this is correct.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Haudricourt reported recently that Sobotka was being held out due to a sinus infection. Sounds rather odd to be out that long. Maybe something else going on.

My guess would be that they discovered something with Sobotka they think can be corrected to increase his effectiveness, and he's hanging out at the pitching lab in Arizona right now. And with the success they've had with other pitchers there, that's is OK with me.

Haudricourt reported recently that Sobotka was being held out due to a sinus infection. Sounds rather odd to be out that long. Maybe something else going on.

Sinus infections are usually not very lengthy or serious affairs, but in some cases they're extremely difficult to treat, due to mainly the poor blood flow to the area, meaning that the antibiotics will be inefficient. But yeah, it could also be a fairly normal sinus infection that held him out for a while, and then had him in extended spring training to work on something. Or a new injury we haven't heard about. Or personal matters. Could be anything really.

Archived