Brewer Fanatic

Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel

markedman5
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was definitely one who wished they'd spent the 5.25 on Knebel. Whether Knebel's 2021 ends up showing that to be smart money or not remains to be seen of course, but I thought it would be worth it to potentially have one of the greatest bullpens ever.

Wasn’t Sobotka the name of the head union guy on the docks in The Wire? Hopefully this guy fares better... :laughing

Got a Sobotka, got an Omar... I don't think there is a McNulty available.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Wasn’t Sobotka the name of the head union guy on the docks in The Wire? Hopefully this guy fares better... :laughing

Got a Sobotka, got an Omar... I don't think there is a McNulty available.

Needed to sign Mitch "Bunk" Moreland in the offseason, or trade for Josh "Stringer" Bell.

The trade doesn't solve the offensive issues at SS but it saves some money. Hopefully Turang takes a big step forward this year. Urias looks more like another guy than a prospect.

Doesn't change SS, but it does mean that Arcia won't be getting starts at 3B over Shaw and Robertson, both of whom should outperform Arcia offensively.

I also hope that Turang progresses, but I haven't given up on Urias. I just think that he was rushed and unfortunately will have to "sink or swim" at the MLB level rather than having the luxury of making his mistakes and learning in the relative obscurity of the minors.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Not sure he was really rushed. He had long full years at A+, AA, and AAA where he did pretty well at all three stops. He even had a second year at AAA where he didn't struggle at all. He first major look at the MLB level happened at 22...not that young for an international guy who got into the minors before 18.

He is a sink or swim guy because he doesn't really have anything to prove in the minors. His OPS over 750 PAs in AAA was north of .900. Maybe he is just a guy as Briggs mentioned...or worse, a AAAA guy. His only excuse left is the fact he still doesn't have a ton of MLB experience and he really hasn't gotten a good extended look starting consistently. He is about to get that with this trade, so I wish him luck. I certainly hope he can start being a little bit more offensively adequate.

I don't think he was rushed as much as he went from playing every day to inconsistent playing time while playing multiple positions. Like I said earlier, now he knows where he's going to play and will get the lions share of time there. It may take some time for him to adjust to the highest level, as it does for most young players, but I still think he'll turn into a serviceable every day player. Not having Arcia looking over his shoulder may help him become that.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

There are no sure things when it comes to pitching but gambling $10M on Knebel was fine by me.

Maybe the $5.25mil he is getting paid...$10mil would have been pretty steep.

I was hoping they'd bring him back as well...the idea of being able to throw Hader, Williams, Knebel, Rassmussen, etc... in the pen could have given us one of the better pens in a while.

But it's also not hard to understand why they decided that was a position they could afford to save some money on.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

After 2 blown saves by the RPs coming in after Woodruff and Burnes and the amount of posts clamoring the bullpen is trash after Williams and Hader, think these two are more needed than Arcia if either of them better the middle of the bullpen.

I said in the in game thread yesterday that Knebel would be saving games for the Dodgers come the playoffs. Meaning he would supplant Jansen by that time. Not saying it's already happened, but it's just a matter of time before he's the regular closer. Jansen is far more hittable these days than Knebel.

The Braves called up an infielder not named Orlando Arcia. This from MLB trade rumors:

Sean Kazmar Jr.

Kazmar’s return to the big leagues is nothing short of remarkable. A 36-year-old infielder, his entire MLB experience to date consists of 19 games with the 2008 Padres. Kazmar has since bounced between the San Diego, Seattle, Mets and Atlanta farm systems. He has spent the past eight years in the high minors with the Braves, and his determination to return to the big leagues will now pay off.

• 1 month later...
Any chance we can re-acquire Arcia? It's time to put Urias out of his misery. Such a dumb trade born out of a dumber trade.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Any chance we can re-acquire Arcia? It's time to put Urias out of his misery. Such a dumb trade born out of a dumber trade.

Yea, seems his eye for thinking he was plucking a gem in Urias is his "I've made a huge mistake" moment as of now. Might sting that much more for doubling down on it with the Arcia trade.

Yea, seems his eye for thinking he was plucking a gem in Urias is his "I've made a huge mistake" moment as of now. Might sting that much more for doubling down on it with the Arcia trade.

Pablo Reyes can’t hit either, just play him at short, he’s at least sound in the field

Might as well bring Turang up and give him his baptism under fire. Sure he can't hit much either, but he's got a decent eye at the plate and he'll steal a base. Urias simply doesn't have the mettle to play at this level. He's a complete head case.

Might as well bring Turang up and give him his baptism under fire. Sure he can't hit much either, but he's got a decent eye at the plate and he'll steal a base. Urias simply doesn't have the mettle to play at this level. He's a complete head case.

Nah, they'll blame Turang for putting too much pressure on Urias and trade him too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

As disappointing as Urias has been, offensively, he is better than Arcia. Urias has a .317 OBP...Arcia only had an OBP over .300 one year (2017) and every other year he wasn't even remotely close (not counting 2020). Urias is a bit of a disappointment on the defensive side of the ball though.

I still really don't get dumping Arcia when we could have just sent him to AAA ourselves? Would have made sense to have an experienced SS if something happened...not to mention we seemed ready to dash him after a decent 2020 (not that I thought it meant much long term performance wise). Guess they really just wanted to sell high on him, I still find it absolutely comical we got some real prospects for such a terrible player.

Oh well, they both kind of suck. I still have confidence Urias is notably better offensively and I am sure that is what the Brewers are after. Of course, it would be nice if he could at least be an average hitter.

It would have been nice to have Arica in AAA right now to make the switch with Urias. Urias will more than likely get through this mental block but allowing it to go down at the MLB level is hard to watch.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Luis Urias - .676 OPS

Dee Gordon

2016 - .641 OPS

2017 - .716 OPS

2018 - .637 OPS

2019 - .663 OPS

2020 - .482 OPS

I already see no reason to consider this and that is before we even consider Gordon's defense. He has essentially played no SS since 2013, when he was 25. In 2012 he had 18 errors...in 73 starts. Not that Urias is any better in that aspect...but Gordon is 10 years older now. Gordon probably isn't seeing SS without being on the MLB roster and all the other SS guys getting injured in the middle of a game.

I know he hasn't played much SS the last few years, but Dee Strange-Gordon has to start to be a consideration to get SS innings at the MLB level, doesn't he?

That’s kind of a two parter. Strange-Gordon hasn’t played any real amount of SS since 2008, is he going to be even a marginal improvement over Urias?

Secondly, even if Strange-Gordon is a marginal improvement, for better or worse they’ve identified Urias as their long term answer at short stop, first in trading for him and then trading away his competition for the starting job, it’s probably not the best way to develop talent to be reactionary and take away their job 40 games in

Archived