Brewer Fanatic

Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel

markedman5
Community Moderator
Sad to see Arcia go but not surprising given that Shaw looks competent and Urias is not a 3B. I really believed Arcia would develop into at least an average shortstop offensively. Wishing the best for him in Atlanta.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we have a long history as fans of trying to paint a rosier-than-accurate picture of trade return guys like Sobotka, but I'm legitimately intrigued by Weigel. Seems more than just your projectable fringe MLB arm as you'd expect.

David Stearns has done a great job as GM, but his belief in Luis Urias could be his undoing.

Really?

We don't even know what we have yet in Urias.

Anyone can be your undoing.

Urias can't be any worse offensively than Arcia, so I doubt the effect is as detrimental as you think.

I was admittedly an Urias fan when that trade happened knowing this was the downside, but if he cannot develop some power on the ball, he absolutely could be worse than Arcia at the plate. I still have some hope but so far he's shown that he is worse than Arcia in his first 430 MLB plate appearances.

Or maybe it takes a very long time to finally emerge from the dumpster of batting stats of guys that can handle the bat but not drive it hard enough to be productive/get on base and therefore are horrendous bats. See: Eric Sogard 2010-2015.

i probably would have preferred the lottery tickets rather than older guys that can help now but are nothing special.

Young or old I don't think you are going to get anything more intriguing than the guys we got. It is Orlando Arcia...you aren't going to get someone in the lower minors that has lots of potential. Guys like Arcia are endless and not exactly something super rare to go and try to acquire.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Guessing part of this was the need to add a pitcher in the coming days and not wanting to lose McKinney. This allows an arm to be added in Arcia's place.

Brewers already announced they are adding Brad Boxberger to the 40- and 26-man roster, and he'll be active for tonight's game.

David Stearns has done a great job as GM, but his belief in Luis Urias could be his undoing.

Really?

We don't even know what we have yet in Urias.

Anyone can be your undoing.

Urias can't be any worse offensively than Arcia, so I doubt the effect is as detrimental as you think.

I was admittedly an Urias fan when that trade happened knowing this was the downside, but if he cannot develop some power on the ball, he absolutely could be worse than Arcia at the plate. I still have some hope but so far he's shown that he is worse than Arcia in his first 430 MLB plate appearances.

Luis Urias is worse on both sides of the ball compared to Orlando Arcia. Difference is Arcia has zero potential to unlock as a Brewers...Urias you can at least dream.

I wasn't and still am not a Urias fan for the lack of power. It honestly felt like we went out and got a younger version of Arcia with slightly worse defense (not that Urias is bad defensively). BUT, I will say he at least has potential to dream on.

So, has Arcia been starting over Shaw just to showcase him for a trade, or has Counsell been using Arcia more than Stearns liked so he felt the need to get rid of him.

I think Stearns saw something this offseason that he likes in Robertson, which is why he gave him a guaranteed contract early. He was a top prospect who was showing some promise early in his career before he got injured. There might be something there. I'd guess that we'll see a platoon or "soft platoon" between Shaw and Robertson for a while to see what we have in these two.

I've always hoped that Arcia would finally break out, but as it stands right now, we can't afford to have Urias and Arcia as our starting SS/3B combo. I hope the best for him, but I'm glad we got something that can hopefully help the MLB team.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

So, has Arcia been starting over Shaw just to showcase him for a trade, or has Counsell been using Arcia more than Stearns liked so he felt the need to get rid of him.

I think Stearns and Counsell communicate enough that something like this is impossible. How can communication be so bad the GM gets so bothered by a managers use of a player that he has to ship them out of town? I just can't fathom that.

The former could certainly be true though.

I'm not really dreaming on Sobotka or Weigel much. They're basically older, MLB ready lottery tickets. I guess there's a best case scenario that you unlock something in one of them and get a much better return than expected. More likely, they each get turns in the annual bullpen carousel this year and aren't remembered for anything more than that.

However, Arcia is a guy I would have been fine with non-tendering so adding some organizational pitching depth if that is what it turns out to be is better than nothing.

i probably would have preferred the lottery tickets rather than older guys that can help now but are nothing special.

Young or old I don't think you are going to get anything more intriguing than the guys we got. It is Orlando Arcia...you aren't going to get someone in the lower minors that has lots of potential. Guys like Arcia are endless and not exactly something super rare to go and try to acquire.

I understand that but they have gotten guys like Freddy Peralta for Yovani Gallardo, it does happen.

I understand that but they have gotten guys like Freddy Peralta for Yovani Gallardo, it does happen.

Peralta was Adam Lind trade.

Knebel was in Gallardo trade.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm not really dreaming on Sobotka or Weigel much. They're basically older, MLB ready lottery tickets. I guess there's a best case scenario that you unlock something in one of them and get a much better return than expected. More likely, they each get turns in the annual bullpen carousel this year and aren't remembered for anything more than that.

However, Arcia is a guy I would have been fine with non-tendering so adding some organizational pitching depth if that is what it turns out to be is better than nothing.

Sobotka is pretty much Ray Black-lite. He's a power arm that can run it up there at 98 mph, but doesn't always know where it's going. Maybe he ends up being useful ... maybe not.

Weigel is substantially more intriguing. He's a guy who has put up solid minor league numbers, but was sidetracked by losing basically two seasons (2017 and 2018) to Tommy John surgery. He came back to make 18 starts between AA and AAA in 2019, and put up some very nice numbers. He's obviously quite a bit older for a prospect (will be 27 in July), but he's got a solid chance. He also has an option remaining. He was definitely the "get" in this deal, although any Braves pitching prospect scares the heck out of me.

[sarcasm]The season is doomed! We traded the one guy to win us a game this year![/sarcasm]

I'm sad he was never able to live up to that top prospect billing and wish him luck. Also looks like we got a decent return so happy for that.

Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

Luis Urias is worse on both sides of the ball compared to Orlando Arcia. Difference is Arcia has zero potential to unlock as a Brewers...Urias you can at least dream.

I wasn't and still am not a Urias fan for the lack of power. It honestly felt like we went out and got a younger version of Arcia with slightly worse defense (not that Urias is bad defensively). BUT, I will say he at least has potential to dream on.

Agreed. Arcia might have some value on a team that has other bats to carry the offense. That's not the Brewers these days. Traded for a potential emergency covid starter and a decent armed reliever without control. Seems like a even swap. Too bad Arcia couldn't figure it out at the plate; I do enjoy watching his defense and enthusiasm.

freddy peralta was one of three pitchers acquired from seattle for adam lind.

my bad, but my point doesn't change. Either way Weigel does intrigue me. I'm fine with the return, just wish it was for more of a higher ceiling guys

I think Stearns and Counsell communicate enough that something like this is impossible. How can communication be so bad the GM gets so bothered by a managers use of a player that he has to ship them out of town? I just can't fathom that.

The former could certainly be true though.

Yeah, I was kind of joking about that although I do think that Stearns would like to see what he's got in Robertson.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I think we have a long history as fans of trying to paint a rosier-than-accurate picture of trade return guys like Sobotka, but I'm legitimately intrigued by Weigel. Seems more than just your projectable fringe MLB arm as you'd expect.

Perhaps Sobotka could be a Corey Knebel type. Weigel does become an interesting AAA option who could be stretched out while Bettinger and File recover from injury. Does make for some intriguing possibilities.

If nothing else, it brought some life to the boards. Been boring around here for a bit now.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived