Brewer Fanatic

Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel

markedman5

The timing of it is quite odd, you'd have thought if they were looking to trade him it would've been this offseason. If this is a move to get another pitcher onto the 26-man (Since they can't recall an optioned player yet without an injury, they need to add a non-roster guy), and so couldn't just option him, it seems risky to rely on finding a trade to make that happen. You also wonder that with him starting the last two games, if this was a sudden development. Or perhaps they wanted to show he could play 3rd?

Anyway, I wish Orlando the best. Seemed like a fun character, and provided some very memorable moments. But overall, he just didn't play well enough. Half expected him to be non-tendered this offseason (I suspect he would've been if he hadn't agreed to a pay cut), but still surprised about the timing. Could well be something more to it, but no use speculating.

As for the return, when it says 2 pitchers I suspect it's a couple of intriguing low-level arms, like the Phelps/Adam Lind deals. Honestly just happy to get something at all in return for someone who is just slightly above replacement level.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if there might have been a clubhouse issue, too.

That is usually what I would think when you have a trade like this at this time of the season, especially if the return ends up being a couple of low level minor leaguers.

Never say never but odds have to be real long against this.

Arcia is basically at the center of every celebration, it would shock me to the core if there was some big personality clash in the clubhouse that led to this. If you pay attention during games the guys all love him. Even opening day, Kolten Wong gave him a huge hug after the walk off and he's new.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Yup, there it is. MLB level guys, though neither has a ton of experience. Both are monsters on the mound (height wise) and Sobotka is a high K guy.

Actually a decent return if either can be useful for a few seasons as a reliever...considering Arcia amassed like 2 WAR in his entire career so far

Please be for a 1B or 3B that we can plug in and use NOW!

It's Arcia. Everyone that hasn't already tempered expectations, should.

I hope this is Adam Lind-esque. I highly doubt we'd get anything good that's ready now. Best bet is a lottery ticket that's more unknown and might be really good later...see Freddy Peralta.

I like the trade, because I didn't even understand why they tendered Arcia a contract this season, but I do feel bad for the players a bit. I imagine it sucks to get traded to a new organization less than a week into the season. (Though maybe he doesn't feel too bad given the Brewers performance so far :laughing )

Braves have been even worse.

On topic, good riddance. Just a terrible player. Any return is gravy. At least we're not paying him. Should've never been tendered to begin with.

Patrick Weigel and Chad Sobotka. About what I expected

A little better than I thought, personally. I was expecting the low minors lottery types, so surprised they got two MLB-ready arms. Weigel was their #12 prospect per MLB.com

David Stearns has done a great job as GM, but his belief in Luis Urias could be his undoing.

Really?

We don't even know what we have yet in Urias.

Anyone can be your undoing.

Urias can't be any worse offensively than Arcia, so I doubt the effect is as detrimental as you think.

It's a move. Good. Great even. Arcia was never going to live up to the 3b bat playing 3b. He didn't live up to a SS bat. Daniel Robertson can play the role Arcia departs. McKinney can play more often. Add Taylor in OF.

2 prospect pitchers reportedly return. Gotta be mostly unknowns, international signing teens? That or 1 will be a fallen former high draft pick.

Just glad the Arcia madness that is watching him at the plate is over. I hope Atlanta fixes him and he does so much more than ever did in Milwaukee. Simply to show how awful the hitting coaching surrounding the team has failed to improve their hitters.

I wonder if there might have been a clubhouse issue, too.

hmmm

I've never heard a bad thing about Arcia's clubhouse presence.

Not a single thing.

Players and the manager aren't doing their job if we as fans find out a player is bad for the clubhouse. That said, I can't see him being bad for a clubhouse. He seems like a happy go lucky good dude, enjoys the game. That just can't be bad.

Keith Law also had Weigel as his #12 prospect for the Braves.

Weigel has been up to 99 mph in the past but was 92-95 mph in his lone big-league appearance last year, showing a hard changeup and fringy slider as well. He’s got the size to start, but his delivery has a couple of things that indicated he might go to the bullpen, like recoil and a late arm, which seems the most likely outcome now because he still doesn’t have an average breaker.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Weigel is Atlanta's #12 prospect, for what it's worth.

he is also 26 for what its worth. i think its a better return than i expected.

Both appear to be power arms that are major league ready. Weigel is the guy I'm intrigued by. Appears to profile as a back-end starter or long man with some control issues who has hit 99 on the gun in the past. The Brewers certainly have a type when it comes to the pitchers they pursue.

Weigel is a starting pitcher that has pitched well at every stop through the minors. Both he and Sobotka are big bodies. Weigel will probably make some starts this season for us. Both have walk issues, but Sobotka can really rack up the K’s.

Yeah, I don't buy into the "bad clubhouse presence" possibility. Management is set on Urias at short and that makes Arcia a bad fit on the team. Not forcing him to be a utility guy when we have better options all over the place makes putting together the roster much easier. I don't think the timing is that odd, I'm pretty amazed they were able to get anything for him at all. So I think an offer came through and they took it.

Archived