Brewer Fanatic

Arcia Traded to Atlanta for RHP Chad Sobotka and RHP Patrick Weigel

markedman5
  • Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trumpets have stopped blaring and are now playing taps.

I laughed way too hard at this :laughing I needed this today. Thank you

You're welcome. It came quite quickly to my brain. Pretty much everytime I saw Arcia's name, "Trumpets blare" came to my head.

one would expect that a taxi squad player would be activated for tonight's game. a 40-man spot is open, and pablo reyes has options.

even if the return is a player added to the 26-man roster, he would have to clear intake before being able to join the club. someone's getting recalled or added to the 40-man today.

The timing is odd, as others noted. Arcia did seem to play well last year despite the odd season, and nothing would have changed about their outlook on him based on four games, you'd think. Makes me wonder if the Braves dangled a guy they found enticing enough to cause them to do this now.

Gotta think that is the case.

Either that or they wanted to see Urias this spring. When Urias was decent they started looking to trade Arcia but couldn't get it done before ST was over.

i hope you are correct. an early season trade that wasn't made because of injury or because the guy wasn't going to make the roster is odd

Exactly. Very weird timing. This seems like the kind of deal that would have happened in the offseason.

Only thought is that Robertson and Urias looked good enough in ST to move on now.

Hats off to a very clutch performer for us over the last few playoff runs. I hope he does well.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I would guess they are very low level prospects, but I've been a Never Arcia guy for a long time.

He was just 124 PAs from making the Wall of Honor, which would have been an amazing feat for a guy who has amassed 2.4 WAR in 542 games.

Farewell, Orlando. I hope the Braves can unlock all of the potential that exists within you.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd be fine with a couple of low-level fliers.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

David Stearns has done a great job as GM, but his belief in Luis Urias could be his undoing. The following chain of events, including the signing of Garcia, continue to be harmful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd be fine with a couple of low-level fliers.

That would probably be the highest ceiling return.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are expecting to get someone to come in and play regularly.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Verified Member
I like the trade, because I didn't even understand why they tendered Arcia a contract this season, but I do feel bad for the players a bit. I imagine it sucks to get traded to a new organization less than a week into the season. (Though maybe he doesn't feel too bad given the Brewers performance so far :laughing )

I like the trade, because I didn't even understand why they tendered Arcia a contract this season, but I do feel bad for the players a bit. I imagine it sucks to get traded to a new organization less than a week into the season. (Though maybe he doesn't feel too bad given the Brewers performance so far :laughing )

+1. I thought for sure Arcia was going to be a non-tender. If they can get two low level flyers that is a win in my book.

Hats off to a very clutch performer for us over the last few playoff runs. I hope he does well.

I'm going to miss him. I'm realistic enough to know that you can't keep guys around forever just because they're well liked in the clubhouse, they gotta perform on the field and Arcia couldn't quite get there. To me he was easy to root for and gave this team some much needed personality. Really hope he finds success in Atlanta.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I wonder if there might have been a clubhouse issue, too.

That is usually what I would think when you have a trade like this at this time of the season, especially if the return ends up being a couple of low level minor leaguers.

I would imagine they've been trying to deal Arcia for at least a full year, if not more - and I doubt it had much to do with chemistry issues. Maybe the ask vs. value was finally met.

I wonder if there might have been a clubhouse issue, too.

He's been one of the worst starters in baseball for several years and they gave up a lot for his presumed replacement. I don't think there's anything more to it than that.

Archived