Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-06: Brewers (Peralta) at Cubs (Alzolay) [Brewers win, 4-0 -- Pitchers allow just one hit, Peralta strikes out 8 over 5.0 IP]

Eye Black
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yelich is most definitely not fine. I hope he will be fine, and he might very well be, but he's still a long ways from it right now.

Considering I can find a 4 game stretch similar to the one he just had smack dab in the middle of his MVP 2018 season, while he had been scorching hot in August mind you, I don't think there's enough evidence to proclaim him "most definitely not fine" quite yet.

I’d agree with this if my eyes didn’t see what they did in 2020.

Yeah, that is the troubling thing, 2020...

The 4 game stretch on top of the entire 2020 causes concern, and should.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yelich is most definitely not fine. I hope he will be fine, and he might very well be, but he's still a long ways from it right now.

Considering I can find a 4 game stretch similar to the one he just had smack dab in the middle of his MVP 2018 season, while he had been scorching hot in August mind you, I don't think there's enough evidence to proclaim him "most definitely not fine" quite yet.

I’d agree with this if my eyes didn’t see what they did in 2020.

Recency bias which is understandable. I agree the 9 strikeouts against 1 walk is concerning. He OPS'd 1.300 in spring training. Yes it's only spring training but I thought he looked in pretty good shape hitting wise then. I'd like to see more than 4 or 5 games before I get out my sky is falling umbrella.

Oh I wanted to add he's hit in 3 of the 5 games including tonight and he had that hard hit ball a few games back everyone thought was gone off the bat but was caught. Hiura being hitless is much more valid a concern IMO.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Hiura had a really nice spring too. It's just hard to put much stock in spring training stats.

I didn't say the sky is falling on Yelich. In fact I did say he could still very well end up being fine. I just said he's not fine right now, which I base a lot more on the 60 games last year than the 4 from this year.

I understand he's got a ton of time to turn things around. He could very well end up OPSing 975 this year. We'll see.

I don't think anyone is saying Yelich is toast, at least I'm not.

I don't know how anyone who watches this team on a regular basis isn't at least a little concerened about the guy.

60 games isn't much, but it is still 60 games, and with the way he has started this year, concern isn't a crazy concept.

Yup, he could come out of it tomorrow and be the Yelich we all know and love, I don't even doubt that can happen, but it isn't abmormal to wonder what's going on with him.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Hiura had a really nice spring too. It's just hard to put much stock in spring training stats.

I didn't say the sky is falling on Yelich. In fact I did say he could still very well end up being fine. I just said he's not fine right now, which I base a lot more on the 60 games last year than the 4 from this year.

Sorry, didn't mean to say you did, I meant that more broadly across the fan base. Also ST has to be taken with a grain of salt, absolutely. I was just searching around for a game log for his ST stats and it should be pointed out in fairness that he had a lot of games with only 2 or maybe 3 ABs and only 14 games. So even though it felt more like a normal spring training this season it still wasn't, no split squads to give guys more at bats and because of that having to fit everyone else in with more limited at bats than usual. So I'll concede Yelich's OPS might not be the greatest snapshot.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Man, I love baseball savant...

Interesting stats from Freddy's night:

- max exit velocity was 94.6 MPH, but it came with a launch angle of 78 degrees and a distance of 47 feet. - A pop-up.

- 47% FBs and 45% curves + 7 other misc off speed pitches.

- Curveball average exit velocity was 77MPH

- CB had a 55% whiff rate - and especially nice on Rizzo.

How does Robertson let a 3-1 pitch down the center of the plate go by for a called strike? 2 men on base up 4 runs count in your favor. You get a meatball dream scenario pitch and dont unload on it? Follows up with an inner part of plate groundout to 3b. Next

Get off the plate and you’ll stop getting plunked.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived