Brewer Fanatic

2021-04-06: Brewers (Peralta) at Cubs (Alzolay) [Brewers win, 4-0 -- Pitchers allow just one hit, Peralta strikes out 8 over 5.0 IP]

Eye Black
Every year I try to get on the Freddy Peralta optimism bus, but I just can’t stay on long. As a starter I just don’t see it. Even when pitching well he is usually serving up too many walks or having too long of ABs where he can’t go long. It’s like Yovani Gallardo except 1/10th the talent and the fact modern day pitchers don’t throw 110+ pitches so he never ends up deep in games.

1/10th is a bit harsh. Personally, I think Gallardo was more of a pitcher and Freddy has more arm talent (i.e. a thrower). Over the years, we have seen Freddy grow as a pitcher. Struggled in the pen a few years ago... decent in the pen last year... now I'm hoping that he can command a few more pitches than just the FB he can start trusting his stuff and put together a decent starter.

Not sure Peralta even commands his FB all that well. Better than his other pitches, but still gives the vibe of a guy trying to throw 100mph and doesn’t care much (or can’t control) about where it ends up.

I don’t mind giving him a shot (I think he deserves it), but he is so far off from commanding his pitches to be a great starter.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lorenzo Cain is currently sidelined with a minor oblique issue, per Brewers manager Craig Counsell.

That explains why Cain hasn't played since Saturday, though Counsell said he's been available off the bench and should return to the lineup soon. Christian Yelich, Jackie Bradley, and Avisail Garcia are starting across the outfield for the Brewers on Tuesday night against the Cubs and right-hander Adbert Alzolay.

SOURCE: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

Apr 6, 2021, 6:01 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Does Peralta try to strike out every hitter or is his control just that bad? Maybe a combination of both.

I mean, isn’t that what every pitcher tries to do?

I’m sure it is like being known as a HR hitter. Being a K pitcher Peralta is going to be gunning to rack up Ks.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Not sure Peralta even commands his FB all that well. Better than his other pitches, but still gives the vibe of a guy trying to throw 100mph and doesn’t care much (or can’t control) about where it ends up.

I don’t mind giving him a shot (I think he deserves it), but he is so far off from commanding his pitches to be a great starter.

Agreed. That is what I meant by thrower. He has a bit of "effectively wild", but he is still learning to trust his stuff and put it where he wants it.

Looks great tonight...

So Javier Baez had I think about equally as bad a 2020 as Yelich and pretty bad start to this season too. Doesn't feel like there's the same hand wringing with him as there is with Yelich but I don't follow Cubs much.

Is there a difference?

Does Peralta try to strike out every hitter or is his control just that bad? Maybe a combination of both.

I mean, isn’t that what every pitcher tries to do?

I’m sure it is like being known as a HR hitter. Being a K pitcher Peralta is going to be gunning to rack up Ks.

Maybe with two strikes sure, but it seems like Freddy is trying to get a swinging strike on every pitch and not everyone is trying to do that.

So Javier Baez had I think about equally as bad a 2020 as Yelich and pretty bad start to this season too. Doesn't feel like there's the same hand wringing with him as there is with Yelich but I don't follow Cubs much.

Is there a difference?

Yelich is fine. He'll be fine. Hiura is a real candidate to see time in the minors. He looks terrible.

Is there a difference?

To me the biggest differences are Baez gets a good chunk of his WAR from his defense where as Yelich is pretty much an all bat guy, and Baez is also a free agent after this season, the Brewers owe Yelich around 200 million dollars going forward.

Is there a difference?

To me the biggest differences are Baez gets a good chunk of his WAR from his defense where as Yelich is pretty much an all bat guy, and Baez is also a free agent after this season, the Brewers owe Yelich around 200 million dollars going forward.

Haha good point. Very nerve wracking.

What a great start by Peralta. Awesome to see. Only issue was the walks but his stuff is just so damn good.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The average innings per start in 2019 was 5.18. If Freddy gives us 5 innings, we are doing alright.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yelich is most definitely not fine. I hope he will be fine, and he might very well be, but he's still a long ways from it right now.

Considering I can find a 4 game stretch similar to the one he just had smack dab in the middle of his MVP 2018 season, while he had been scorching hot in August mind you, I don't think there's enough evidence to proclaim him "most definitely not fine" quite yet.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Yelich is most definitely not fine. I hope he will be fine, and he might very well be, but he's still a long ways from it right now.

Considering I can find a 4 game stretch similar to the one he just had smack dab in the middle of his MVP 2018 season, while he had been scorching hot in August mind you, I don't think there's enough evidence to proclaim him "most definitely not fine" quite yet.

I’d agree with this if my eyes didn’t see what they did in 2020.

Archived