Brewer Fanatic

MLB moving the All-Star Game

crossface21

One thing I always appreciated about the MLB All-Star game was how it rotated through sites and allowed small market teams to host. Now I fear they’ll revert to the NBA model to maximize profit.

kind of - the MLB all star game was a reward for building a new stadium. This was Atlanta's reward.

I do not think the NBA All star game will ever come to Milwaukee to play in the Fiserv Forum, which is how MLB and NBA differs.

One thing I always appreciated about the MLB All-Star game was how it rotated through sites and allowed small market teams to host. Now I fear they’ll revert to the NBA model to maximize profit.

kind of - the MLB all star game was a reward for building a new stadium. This was Atlanta's reward.

I do not think the NBA All star game will ever come to Milwaukee to play in the Fiserv Forum, which is how MLB and NBA differs.

Probably more to do with the weather in Milwaukee in February being horrible. And I don't blame them for that.

As owbc mentioned, no politics, regardless of the reasoning behind the move. Please keep discussion to either factual items surrounding the cancellation, discussion of the AS game itself, or possible relocation/alternative options. Thanks!

EDIT: Last warning....

I'd like to see them just go to Tampa who has never hosted it. Are we even sure that stadiums will be at full capacity by then?

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

I'd like to see them just go to Tampa who has never hosted it. Are we even sure that stadiums will be at full capacity by then?

That’d be the exact opposite of rewarding teams for building new ballparks. :tongue

Not to stray too far off topic but it stinks that Tampa can't get any fan support. They have such a well-run organization.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Wouldn't surprise me if they move it to Texas.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Community Moderator
I assume they’ll also move the Future’s Game to the new ASG host city, but I’m curious if the MLB Draft (which was supposed to be in Atlanta during the All-Star break) will move to the new host city or just default back to the old venue near the league offices.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Apparently, this was the result of corporate sponsor pressure. The players didn't vote on the issue.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It makes more sense to put it in a place that doesn’t have restrictions on fans.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It makes more sense to put it in a place that doesn’t have restrictions on fans.

MLB won’t let masked sausages run on the field and you think they will go out of their way to make sure it is in a place with lax COVID restrictions? I know what you are going to say “money”...but I am skeptical. It would be a terrible look for the league to totally disregard safety like that even if it is months off where restrictions won’t be bad...in April 2021 it would look terrible.

I would be somewhat surprised if Texas wants it this year. With a new stadium they are an automatic host in the next few years. Why take a pandemic mess of a year to host?

MLB won’t let masked sausages run on the field and you think they will go out of their way to make sure it is in a place with lax COVID restrictions? I know what you are going to say “money”...but I am skeptical. It would be a terrible look for the league to totally disregard safety like that even if it is months off where restrictions won’t be bad...in April 2021 it would look terrible.

I would be somewhat surprised if Texas wants it this year. With a new stadium they are an automatic host in the next few years. Why take a pandemic mess of a year to host?

Interesting about the MLB denying sausage races but I more so meant that Texas was allowing full capacity of fans. That might be a driving force for the games atmosphere.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
MLB won’t let masked sausages run on the field and you think they will go out of their way to make sure it is in a place with lax COVID restrictions?

Regarding the sausage race, it’s my understanding they require anyone with access to the field level to be part of the daily tier one or tier two testing protocols. So in that context it makes sense you’d go without any entertainment acts on the field for the time being.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

MLB won’t let masked sausages run on the field and you think they will go out of their way to make sure it is in a place with lax COVID restrictions?

Regarding the sausage race, it’s my understanding they require anyone with access to the field level to be part of the daily tier one or tier two testing protocols. So in that context it makes sense you’d go without any entertainment acts on the field for the time being.

Right, my point was that it was an MLB limitation and not the Brewers or Milwaukee officials. I’m not sure MLB would go with such a setting (Texas and zero protocols) and announce it in today’s COVID climate. I just don’t know the non sports media would take that well. The risk of getting rolled over the coals may not be worth it.

It’s just...pretty silly in all honesty. But whatever it is what it is. I will be thrilled to be at the ballpark Sunday with my soon to be 5 year old who has missed out on some Brewers baseball for awhile. Unfortunately the sausage race is an incredibly strong memory for him...so he is a bit disappointed that won’t happen. Hopefully they didn’t ban ice cream (specifically dipping’ dots), because that is his other strong memory of going to baseball games.

Archived