Brewer Fanatic

Trevor Story (or other SS targets?)

In all seriousness, I feel that Houston has screwed up their extension chance with Carlos Correa & they might prefer moving Bregman back to SS..

Correa might be a good guy to target and move over to 3B (to help him stay healthy & productive) moving forward...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No need to discus this as the Rockies will be 10 games back and under .500 at the deadline but make zero moves because that franchise is a rudderless ship.

I listened to an interview with a Rockies beat reporter (Nick Groke), and he talked about how the Rockies don’t act in-line with what’s generally considered rational by the consensus. He said after taking an absolute beating over the Arenado trade (in which case Nolan was requesting to be traded), he doesn’t think the owner, Dick Monfort (who he said fancies himself a GM), would be willing to trade Story even if it’s the obviously smart thing to do for the franchise. He was of the opinion it would need to be an extreme overpay in order for the Rockies not to just ride with Story right until the bitter end.

Groke also said the Rockies don’t typically make many trades. The Brewers and Rockies haven’t made a trade together since 2004.

So pretty much how the Brewers were run from the time Bud became commish and Attanasio bought the team?

When Wendy was running the franchise. That was miserable...I feel for Rockies fans.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

No need to discus this as the Rockies will be 10 games back and under .500 at the deadline but make zero moves because that franchise is a rudderless ship.

I listened to an interview with a Rockies beat reporter (Nick Groke), and he talked about how the Rockies don’t act in-line with what’s generally considered rational by the consensus. He said after taking an absolute beating over the Arenado trade (in which case Nolan was requesting to be traded), he doesn’t think the owner, Dick Monfort (who he said fancies himself a GM), would be willing to trade Story even if it’s the obviously smart thing to do for the franchise. He was of the opinion it would need to be an extreme overpay in order for the Rockies not to just ride with Story right until the bitter end.

Groke also said the Rockies don’t typically make many trades. The Brewers and Rockies haven’t made a trade together since 2004.

So pretty much how the Brewers were run from the time Bud became commish and Attanasio bought the team?

When Wendy was running the franchise. That was miserable...I feel for Rockies fans.

Does anyone else still get shivers whenever Wendy is mentioned? It's like I can hear her voice in my head still. It is not a pleasant sensation.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I've never heard Correa is a jerk before.

Seriously, this is the first time I have heard that?

What has he done?

Cheating scandal. Lack of responsibility for it. Chip on his shoulder like the backlash from it wasn’t deserved.

Insulted by a 6 year $120m offer from the Astros in the last month when has hit .257 with 41 HR in 1000 PAs since 2018.

Guy just rubs me 100% the wrong way. Arcia may have been frustrating but at least you felt like he was a good teammate and tried hard. This guy seems like he’s quite unaware of who/what he is.

I've never heard Correa is a jerk before.

Seriously, this is the first time I have heard that?

What has he done?

Cheating scandal. Lack of responsibility for it. Chip on his shoulder like the backlash from it wasn’t deserved.

Insulted by a 6 year $120m offer from the Astros in the last month when has hit .257 with 41 HR in 1000 PAs since 2018.

Guy just rubs me 100% the wrong way. Arcia may have been frustrating but at least you felt like he was a good teammate and tried hard. This guy seems like he’s quite unaware of who/what he is.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I've never heard anything like him screaming at teammates or something like that, but there seems to be a lack of self awareness that's pretty off-putting when it comes to Correa.

He'll get paid, but he's not going to reach Tatis/Lindor territory, and I think he should be prepared to get a lot less than what Seager and Story end up with if they all make it to free agency. Baez is in that lower tier as well, but he said something the other day that makes me think he's well aware of it.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah, I feel about Correa the same way a lot of people felt about the possibility of getting Machado back in 2018. I just wouldn't feel clean about rooting for the guy. I'd do it, if he happened to help the team win games, but I wouldn't feel awesome about it.

If the Brewers are spending resources to get a SS I would prefer someone like Bogaerts over anyone else. Though I doubt the Red Sox would trade him.

I think value wise you could find better value at 1B if Hiura continues to struggle with the bat. If the Nationals are out of it either Schwarber or Bell could be available to fill 1B. I don't see Vogelbach as a viable option at 1B fulltime or either part-time really.

I don't know, Vogelbach doesn't seem that bad, ...

So I click on the thread link about SS position and see this post first... Yes, the rest of the post was about him at 1B, but when you are thinking SS and see that statement it was worth a good laugh. :laughing

So I click on the thread link about SS position and see this post first... Yes, the rest of the post was about him at 1B, but when you are thinking SS and see that statement it was worth a good laugh. :laughing

Not sure I see the humor. Bring Braun out of retirement and you have a LOT of power out of the left side of that IF...

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

There have been a few games these last few years where the Brewers have emptied the bench for pinch hitters in the 9th inning when trailing, resulting in lacking middle infielders. Made me wish even more than usual that they'd tie the game to see just exactly what they'd do, and who would play SS in those cases.

Not sure I see the humor. Bring Braun out of retirement and you have a LOT of power out of the left side of that IF...

And hope our opponents have all LHB!

Baseball Trade Values founder John Bitzer wrote this article on Trevor Story’s likely trade value at the deadline for those who may be interested...

Projecting Trevor Story’s Value at the Trade Deadline

Seems like it’s a pretty large range depending on a handful of factors that play out over the next few months.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
Community Moderator

New article from MLB.com, If Rockies deal Story, these clubs are best fits

Here’s an excerpt from the article:

Brewers

The Brewers are off to a solid start in the competitive NL Central, though Milwaukee ranks 26th in runs scored. Injuries (Christian Yelich) and underperformance (Keston Hiura, Jackie Bradley Jr.) have been an issue, but the production from shortstop has been below average; Luis Urías (31 strikeouts in 94 at-bats) and three others have combined for a .580 OPS, good for 25th in the Majors.

The cost-conscious Brewers rank 28th in the league in terms of farm system strength, but as we previously mentioned, rental position players don’t always necessitate a big package of prospects. Whether Milwaukee would be willing to take on Story’s salary -- he’ll earn a little more than $6 million over the final two months -- could also stand in the way of a deal between the Rockies and Brewers, but the fit is there on the field.

Community Moderator

Following up on that MLB.com article linked above, if I had to handicap the odds of where Story is playing come this August, I’d go with the following order (from most likely to least likely destination):

1) Rockies (as in they don’t trade him and settle for a comp draft pick in return for losing him)

2) Yankees

3-tie) Reds

3-tie) Brewers

5) A’s

After that I guess just bet the field. I don’t think the Rays would make a serious move for Story despite what that article mentions.

I think it’s highly likely that Trevor Story signs in free agency next offseason with either the Rangers or Yankees (assuming there is a new collective bargaining agreement at some point).

New article from MLB.com, If Rockies deal Story, these clubs are best fits

Here’s an excerpt from the article:

Brewers

The Brewers are off to a solid start in the competitive NL Central, though Milwaukee ranks 26th in runs scored. Injuries (Christian Yelich) and underperformance (Keston Hiura, Jackie Bradley Jr.) have been an issue, but the production from shortstop has been below average; Luis Urías (31 strikeouts in 94 at-bats) and three others have combined for a .580 OPS, good for 25th in the Majors.

The cost-conscious Brewers rank 28th in the league in terms of farm system strength, but as we previously mentioned, rental position players don’t always necessitate a big package of prospects. Whether Milwaukee would be willing to take on Story’s salary -- he’ll earn a little more than $6 million over the final two months -- could also stand in the way of a deal between the Rockies and Brewers, but the fit is there on the field.

There is just no way. If the Brewers offered Mitchell, I think the package gets beat by someone else. Even if it didn't, this team isn't a Story away from being serious World Series contenders. In order for them to be serious World Series contenders, they need offensive reversions from:

-Yelich to healthy and 2018-2019 form

-Cain to 2018 form

-Hiura to 2019 form

-JBJ to something other than 2021 form

-Narvaez to healthy

-Wong to...what he's been this year

-Shaw to...what he's been this year

-Garcia to....what he's been this year

Seems like half the lineup is still questionable even with a Story rental.

I also think you have to give Urias time. We moved Arcia to let him play every day and he needs to just that.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator
I also think you have to give Urias time. We moved Arcia to let him play every day and he needs to just that.

I am about as optimistic on Urias as anyone, but I don’t think a short-term rental of Story would actually have that much impact on Urias’ development as the long-term shortstop. I think you’d put Story at SS for two months and have a situation where Urias and Shaw split time at 3B (while Shaw also would get some starts at 1B).

Community Moderator
There is just no way. If the Brewers offered Mitchell, I think the package gets beat by someone else.

I think if they offered Mitchell the Rockies (or at least any other normally functioning team that isn’t the Rockies) would take that deal, but I have to imagine Mitchell is off-limits for a rental from the Brewers standpoint. I think the cost to acquire Story will be more than what say Manny Machado cost as a rental, especially considering the Rockies may not be overly eager to move another one of their stars given the previous backlash. It seems more likely that someone like Turang or Ashby could be a headliner for the deal, still a very steep price from the Brewers depleted farm system, but not quite to the level Mitchell appears to be rising towards.

Even if it didn't, this team isn't a Story away from being serious World Series contenders. In order for them to be serious World Series contenders, they need offensive reversions from:

-Yelich to healthy and 2018-2019 form

-Cain to 2018 form

-Hiura to 2019 form

-JBJ to something other than 2021 form

-Narvaez to healthy

-Wong to...what he's been this year

-Shaw to...what he's been this year

-Garcia to....what he's been this year

Seems like half the lineup is still questionable even with a Story rental.

I think you’d need to see some, but not all, of those things happen in order for a Story rental to make sense. If Woodruff, Burnes, and Peralta continue to appear dominant most times out then adding an impact bat to the offense could be a needle mover towards competing for [and in] the post-season. I still think back to 2011 and wonder what could’ve been if the Brewers had used someone like Tyler Thornburg to headline a trade for Jose Reyes. Although again in that case the Mets were a team that didn’t appear overly motivated to move Reyes despite his expiring contract (and ultimately did not trade him), so who knows if that was even within the realm of possibilities.

With the pitching staff in place I think the Brewers at least need to do their due diligence in finding out what it would take for a top 5-6 that looked something like this:

1) Wong

2) Yelich

3) Story

4) Narvaez

5) Garcia

6) Shaw

Archived