Brewer Fanatic

Eric Sogard wins Cubs 2B competition

Simba2020

I haven't been paying attention to the Cubs, but what happened to hoerner? Wasn't he a hot prospect infielder? I would think they'd plug him at 2b...

He had a great spring, too. I think they're playing service time games with him.

I haven't been paying attention to the Cubs, but what happened to hoerner? Wasn't he a hot prospect infielder? I would think they'd plug him at 2b...

They sent him down yesterday in what was obviously a service time manipulation.

Which is interesting because he was on the roster all season in 2020.

Hoerner had an amazing first 6 games (.417/.481/.750) in a huge market with a popular team that got him some great hype. Then in the last 14 games of 2019 he hit .222/.218 (not a typo)/.296 and last year he only hit .222/.313/.259 and those numbers are well deserved based on his StatCast numbers.

I think we'll only know the motivation based on when/if he gets called back up again. The minor league season won't have started by the time the service time for an extra year will have passed, if he gets called up the day after that it's kind of suspect. If he actually gets AAA playing time, and gets everyday at bats for a while before coming back up, it's probably legit about needing more development.

Nico has 294 PAs at AA & 375 PAs career in the minors. He hit 222/312/259 (60 OPS+) over his 126 MLB PAs in 2020.

Of course service time is always a factor, but it's not like this is a Kris Bryant situation.

Yeah I looked at the numbers a bit and agree with this. He also had at bats in 2019, so I think it's a bit too late to be playing service time games. Much more likely is he simply isn't the best player right now. His mlb numbers are pretty underwhelming.

Im extremely excited for the Cubs to have a trash first half and sell heavy into a full rebuild. I believe all of baez, rizzo, and bryant are on their final year...

The Chicago Tribune was pretty clear that it is service time related but I guess that is just an opinion since the Cubs are clearly saying that he played well this spring but Bote was better and won the competition.

It's the same reason Taylor isn't going to make the opening day roster. It's not about service time, it's about having minor league options. Hoerner wasn't going to start. Bote had the inside track and he's raked this spring. Everyone forgets Bote is on a long term deal. He's signed through 2024. Sogard is the utility guy.

Hoerner has a mere 375 minor league PA. He needs to play everyday. Cub fans are screaming because half don't understand minor league options.

Also Hoerner has shown very little power as a pro. That's not to say he won't but Bote has more pop by far. Hoerner is a nice prospect but he's not the type of upper echelon guy you worry about service time with.

According to Baseball Reference, Hoerner has 1 year and 21 days of service time. Even if he's just an average player, pretty much every organization would not want to lose a year of service time because of the extra 21 days. Only question is if they also want to avoid Super Two status as well, if that's the case Hoerner is probably stuck in the minors until late June even if he starts racking in the minors.

All that aside, he hasn't been that great in the majors and the combination of Bote and Sogard isn't unreasonable to go with. Bote is no offensive super-star but he doesn't need to be in an infield with Rizzo, Bryant and Baez. I still like that lineup, but their pitching appears to be sorely lacking.

The Chicago Tribune was pretty clear that it is service time related but I guess that is just an opinion since the Cubs are clearly saying that he played well this spring but Bote was better and won the competition.

They have to say that so they don't get taken to court (again).

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Sogard is one of a more than a handful of retreads that continually find major league jobs. I don't know why anyone is ever surprised when this happens. And Nico has been pretty bad in the bigs so there is plenty reason for him to be in the minors besides the supposed manipulation of collectively bargained rules.

Archived