Brewer Fanatic

No Cash, No Paper Tickets, No Carry-ins..... No Problems?

rickh150

We all know that tailgating is just a temporary loss. That will be back soon enough. The other changes.... well, they are probably here to stay.

I am fine with the no cash thing. I would imagine most pay with the card anyway.

I understand the carry-in thing; most stadiums and arenas have this already. Yet, it's another reason to keep fans home on a weeknight.

What I am very wary of is the online tickets. Problems with the app, especially the MLB Ballpark App have been numerous. I cannot get my head around all of the potential problems with this.

It's a new day, for sure. And the Brewers are moving forward with plans wanted for a long time, I imagine.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This e-ticket thing could cause issues for me going forward. I'll wait to see if there is a work-around.

Yeah, you walk up to the box office.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. Not always convenient. Or, would printing a ticket from home still an option?

Forgot to mention in my previous post getting to a 2018 NLCS game was not a smooth transaction. Hence, the anxiety.

This e-ticket thing could cause issues for me going forward. I'll wait to see if there is a work-around.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. Not always convenient. Or, would printing a ticket from home still an option?

Forgot to mention in my previous post getting to a 2018 NLCS game was not a smooth transaction. Hence, the anxiety.

It does not appear that printing at home is an option, why, who knows.

What are the e-ticket issues? I have probably attended 60 games with multiple e-tickets per game, and never, not once, has there been an issue. I would never want a paper ticket or prefer to bring or use cash at a game.

I assume he has a flip phone or something...that would be something that would cause issues with an e-ticket.

Paper tickets definitely have their advantages. No worrying about screen brightness when trying to get scanned, not absolutely draining my battery on my phone every time I have to show it, and way easier to just having a piece of paper to pull out of my pocket for the usher. I hate being asked for it, getting my phone out, unlocking it, bringing up the app/picture, and then showing them. It slows things down so much at times when everyone has to fumble with their phone.

Though it is a lot nicer now that I found out if I add the ticket to the 'apple wallet' on my phone it will keep it on my phones lock screen. Then you can have it bring up the ticket right away when you unlock the phone.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Will they accept cryptocurrency? Half kidding so half in blue.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's been a while since I've attended a game, how does the "no cash" thing work with beer, hot dog, etc. vendors that walk the rows/sections?
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

even if you go to the box office you will still be issues an e-ticket. i really don't care either way. I would hope that if something truely special happens the brewers would offer a copy of a paper ticket at a later date (no hitter, etc)

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
even if you go to the box office you will still be issues an e-ticket. i really don't care either way. I would hope that if something truely special happens the brewers would offer a copy of a paper ticket at a later date (no hitter, etc)

They'll probably sell the e-ticket as an NFT

:laughing

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's been a while since I've attended a game, how does the "no cash" thing work with beer, hot dog, etc. vendors that walk the rows/sections?

They are encouraging ordering those items through the app. Over time, I'd guess those vendors will disappear and it will just be someone runners taking things to sections all the time. In the mean time they probably will do card readers on lanyards like the waitstaff in club.

The scanning of e-tickets is much slower than the paper tickets, especially when you have a large crowd. I'm sure we'll get quicker at it as we go, but people have dead batteries, forget their password to the app, etc. I found the easiest way for me is to take a screen shot of my ticket and just bring them up on my camera. Knowing how my senior citizen relatives struggle with many day-to-day uses of technology, this could be a problem for a many of them. Other sports (Bucks, etc.) have been doing this, but not sure how many of them get as large of a senior citizen attendance. Those mid-week day game crowds could be interesting.

I don't think that is going to be the case, it sounds like the only method will be e-tickets. I think even at the box office you would have an e-ticket sent to you.

If months of advance notice on a ticketing policy that's already been in place for years is that big of a problem, I tend to side with user error and competence being the issue. I can't even imagine the issues that would come up if I had a phone that can't be scanned at this point.

I don't think that is going to be the case, it sounds like the only method will be e-tickets. I think even at the box office you would have an e-ticket sent to you.

From the Brewers site:

“I don’t have a mobile phone. How can I get my ticket?”

If you are unable to utilize digital tickets, please visit the Brewers Ticket Office for assistance

If months of advance notice on a ticketing policy that's already been in place for years is that big of a problem, I tend to side with user error and competence being the issue. I can't even imagine the issues that would come up if I had a phone that can't be scanned at this point.

You know not everyone is like you (or most people) and not everyone has a smart phone. Maybe they can’t afford a smart phone or maybe they have no use for one so they don’t spend hundreds a year just to have one.

I can’t imagine not having a smart phone and being able to use e-tickets...but I’m one blob of millions in this country, not all of us blobs are the same.

You know not everyone is like you (or most people) and not everyone has a smart phone. Maybe they can’t afford a smart phone or maybe they have no use for one so they don’t spend hundreds a year just to have one.

I can’t imagine not having a smart phone and being able to use e-tickets...but I’m one blob of millions in this country, not all of us blobs are the same.

Bolded part is unnecessary snark but anyway...this person without a smart phone is going to games by themselves, or in a group where no one has a smart phone and has NO means of getting in the building with an e-ticket and despite knowing this is the policy for months in advance and that the team's (and all live events) been trending this way for years?

It's on them at this point...and FWIW...you don't need to spend hundreds on them, I don't. Gobs of used phones for sale in a million places and discount plans...or, even more simply, a friend with a phone.

I have a hard time believing this person even exists in any significant number this season with all the hoops you'd have to go through to just to get a ticket and be aware of pods, masking, etc.

All that said, if you walk up to the window I am betting they don't tell you that you're out of luck.

Bolded part is unnecessary snark but anyway...this person without a smart phone is going to games by themselves, or in a group where no one has a smart phone and has NO means of getting in the building with an e-ticket and despite knowing this is the policy for months in advance and that the team's (and all live events) been trending this way for years?

It's on them at this point...and FWIW...you don't need to spend hundreds on them, I don't. Gobs of used phones for sale in a million places and discount plans...or, even more simply, a friend with a phone.

I have a hard time believing this person even exists in any significant number this season with all the hoops you'd have to go through to just to get a ticket and be aware of pods, masking, etc.

All that said, if you walk up to the window I am betting they don't tell you that you're out of luck.

I’m not being snarky, literally just saying not everyone is like you. Try to look at it from someone else’s viewpoint. They have to cater to a lot of people. Some of those reasons are legitimate, some just like to be difficult, and some may just be lazy. Regardless, those people spend money and they must cater to them to get that money.

It doesn’t take a large number of people over 162+ games to make a difference to the bottom line. Even 0.01% is 30k people out of 3mil. Selling an extra 30k tickets, heck 5k is a big deal. 5k more through the turnstiles is big.

99.9% of people will figure out e-tickets, the other will go up the ticket window for help. The fact people still walk up and buy tickets at the window in 2021 makes me believe e-tickets is difficult to more people than I would think.

Oh, I don't doubt that people will be walking up to the window for help. I think that the majority of those people are being incompetent, especially this year due to what you'd have to know just to get a ticket. I am sure there are genuine cases where someone had no idea, mainly older folks that tag along and nobody in the group informs them or something...but I think this will be a non-issue in the vast, vast majority of cases.

A couple concerns I have are:

As TPlush pointed out, the eticket isn't viable for everyone. Take my Dad for example. He doesn't have a smartphone and I can pretty much guarantee you he never will. So go to the window for a printed ticket, right? I don't see it happening, especially if that's a big line which it probably will be. Factor in the drive, the traffic on 94, etc and I just don't see him wanting to do all that pain in the rear end versus just watch on tv.

My other concern is about the resellers at the game. That's usually my go-to because it's usually just 2 or 3 of us, and usually a good way to get good seats at a good price. Are etickets transferable in that way? Because if not then I don't like it at all.

A couple concerns I have are:

My other concern is about the resellers at the game. That's usually my go-to because it's usually just 2 or 3 of us, and usually a good way to get good seats at a good price. Are etickets transferable in that way? Because if not then I don't like it at all.

I have thought about this as well. It will be interesting to see the impact on scalpers. If I am traveling and try to go to games in other cities I often find it much cheaper to just find an extra ticket outside stadiums. Obviously the StubHub / secondary online market probably won't be affected too much, but maybe the days of people hawking tickets at events will go away.

Archived