Brewer Fanatic

White Sox Corner OF

Jimenez went down with what appears to be a fairly significant injury. With that roster built to contend, and seemingly minimal depth behind their big 3 OF, I could see the White Sox having interest in a corner OF to fill in for Jimenez while he's out. Garcia seems like a really great fit for that team. Only 1 year on his deal and having a good spring, could fill in for however long Jimenez is out and they'd probably find a way to use him whenever Jimenez returns. They have the DH in case Vaughn doesn't work out there, and at worst he's a high end 4th outfielder down the stretch for a contending team. Not sure if the White Sox would want him or if we match up, just seems like it could be a good fit.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting idea. How confident are we in Cain being solid this year is probably the key here? Plus of course will they give us anything back who has a legit shot to contribute for us in the future. Seems Taylor has done well in spring, and held his own last year, where you could probably get by with him as the 4th.

In general, I'd guess we don't do it unless they give us legit prospects (which they won't), I don't think we'll just give away to save some money.

Garcia to the Sox and Braun coming on home!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
LOL Brew4U but it does make sense especially if we get anyone good back for Garcia?

The question I guess who would everyone might want Garcia or a Platoon of Braun and Taylor

Wouldn't be a platoon. Regular starting OF would be Yelich/Cain/Bradley. Taylor would just make the team as the 4th/5th OFer then.

Was actually just coming here to suggest the same thing - a trade of Avi to the White Sox, now that they got the bad news today on Eloy. Boy, a move like this would make a lot of sense for both sides. I know we are trying to compete ourselves this year in the NL Central, but we'd still have a pretty solid OF situation with Yeli, Cain and JBJ as starters and Taylor/McKinney in the 4th and 5th spots. And, the White Sox would only be trading for an OF that has one year left on his deal - and one that could at least provide a bit of pop in that lineup to replace Eloy.

I'm not sure what we could get from them in a deal for Avi, but I guess I would like to at least get one or two guys that would fall somewhere in their Top 30. Is getting a guy like Stiever or Sheets as the key piece coming back too much to ask?

Looks like Jay Bruce will opt out of his deal with the Yankees. The Sox could sign him up without giving up anything. The difference between Bruce and Garcia is likely de minimis. Plus players like Puig are sitting at home without deals.

Garcia is notably a better player than Bruce, a contending team probably shouldn't head to the bargain bin for a starting outfielder. I will add I don't think we trade Garcia for a prospect unless it's a very young one with a lot of promise, or they eat all the salary so we can add elsewhere. I think a more likely trade would be for a player we can use now. I'm not sure what their 3b/ss depth is like, or starting pitching depth. Those would be obvious fits for us.

Garcia is notably a better player than Bruce, a contending team probably shouldn't head to the bargain bin for a starting outfielder. I will add I don't think we trade Garcia for a prospect unless it's a very young one with a lot of promise, or they eat all the salary so we can add elsewhere. I think a more likely trade would be for a player we can use now. I'm not sure what their 3b/ss depth is like, or starting pitching depth. Those would be obvious fits for us.

Bruce since 2017: .301/.474

Gracia since 2017: .336/.456

(Those numbers also include the two best years of Garcia’s career.)

If you can have Bruce for just his salary, what GM would give up any capital to acquire basically the same guy with a 10 million dollar salary to boot.

Well the White Sox are certainly familiar with Garcia, not sure if that helps or hurts the likelihood they'd be interested in a reunion.

Mike Petriello included Avisail Garcia in this Tweet...

Is Mike Tauchman a White Sox (Sock?) yet

Is Randal Grichuk a White Sox (Sock?) yet

Is Avisaíl García a White Sox (Sock?) again yet

Is Albert Almora a White Sox (Sock?) yet

Is Aristides Aquino a White Sox (Sock?) yet

Is Juan Lagares a White Sox (Sock?) yet

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Nobody knows Garcia better than the White Sox. He was very highly thought of there, and though he never quite lived up to their lofty expectations, he did have one outstanding season in 2017. I wouldn't expect a big haul back unless the Brewers picked up some of his contract but I definitely think there'd be interest from the Sox.

With the praise Counsel has heaped on Taylor this spring, I think the Brewers would be open to making this move but it may not happen until opening day or even shortly after.

Garcia was by all accounts a good teammate in Chicago and he's a much better outfielder than Jimenez.

If you can have Bruce for just his salary, what GM would give up any capital to acquire basically the same guy with a 10 million dollar salary to boot.

Really. Ok, bruce has better slugging while garcia is significantly better at literally everything else...also garcia is 29 while Bruce is 33. The likelihood of Garcia living up to his last couple years production is much high than Bruce living up to his. There a reason Garcia is getting 12 million a year while Bruce is a minor league deal. We aren't a match because they can just go get Bruce for free is a poor poor argument.

Puig would seem to make sense with the White Sox having the whole Cuban connection going on.

Or Cespedes

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Hope the White Sox is interested to trade for Cain.

Cain doesn't fit as well I'm my opinion as they have robert for cf and eaton can backup in cf if needed. Also cain is older, more expensive, and 2 years left. I think with him, we'd probably have to pay a bunch of salary or give up something to get the white sox to take him. The easier fit is Garcia. Even with Garcia though, I think we'd probably end up sending some money back with him in order to get anything back in return. I still think the best trade would be for an infielder or else a number 4/5 starting pitcher type.

Does it really make sense for the Brewers though? Cain will be getting plenty of days off just to keep him fresh, not even considering potential injuries. Take Garcia away and Taylor, Arcia, Robertson, Fischer, Mckinney or some other question mark will be getting plenty of time in the outfield. The Sox would have to be giving up something really solid for me to accept seeing any of those guys in the lineup multiple times every week.

Sounds like they are moving Vaughn to the outfield today. He's a stud hitter but was gonna be their DH (and I believe was a 1st baseman in college). Would Sox GM put him in the field just to gain a bit of leverage on a trade? "Meh, we don't really need an outfielder. We've got Vaughn"
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Sounds like they are moving Vaughn to the outfield today. He's a stud hitter but was gonna be their DH (and I believe was a 1st baseman in college). Would Sox GM put him in the field just to gain a bit of leverage on a trade? "Meh, we don't really need an outfielder. We've got Vaughn"

To be fair, Jimenez is essentially a DH playing corner outfield too, although he at least has experience in the outfield.

Feel bad for Eloy - hopefully he makes a full recovery.

To be fair, Jimenez is essentially a DH playing corner outfield too, although he at least has experience in the outfield.

Feel bad for Eloy - hopefully he makes a full recovery.

As much as Eloy isn't really a great or good or mediocre outfielder, he at least has a ton of experience out there. He has more speed and much more arm than Vaughn, plus all the experience. I don't think this is a very good idea, especially considering Vaughn hasn't even gotten his feet under him hitting at the MLB level.

Really. Ok, bruce has better slugging while garcia is significantly better at literally everything else...also garcia is 29 while Bruce is 33. The likelihood of Garcia living up to his last couple years production is much high than Bruce living up to his. There a reason Garcia is getting 12 million a year while Bruce is a minor league deal. We aren't a match because they can just go get Bruce for free is a poor poor argument.

A couple of absolutes: 1. The Brewers hardly ever include cash in trades. 2. The Brewers are not going to give Garcia away. This

Accordingly, my point is the White Sox GM is not going to give a player from their organization and take on 12 million dollars in payroll for Garcia when players like Bruce are available for a minimal salary. The difference between Garcia and a player like Bruce doesn’t warrant such a cost.

A couple of absolutes: 1. The Brewers hardly ever include cash in trades. 2. The Brewers are not going to give Garcia away. This

Accordingly, my point is the White Sox GM is not going to give a player from their organization and take on 12 million dollars in payroll for Garcia when players like Bruce are available for a minimal salary. The difference between Garcia and a player like Bruce doesn’t warrant such a cost.

Though the Brewers haven't included cash in trades, they've been content to pay players to stay home. The line between the two is virtually non-existent, IMO. Perhaps that's a function of not having players with terrible that other teams were even willing to take on by the point the Brewers were willing to move them (Suppan, Lohse, Garza, etc)?

Archived