Brewer Fanatic

rhp zack godley opts for release

djoctagone
It wasn’t fun while it lasted Zack

I was at the game and saw some positives. First the bunt where he hurt his finger was a heck of a bunt against a 97 mph fastball thrown right at him. He ended up allowing 3 earned runs, but two of them scored on a HR allowed by Yardley that reached on a walk and a hit batter after he had injured his finger. He had worked out of a bases loaded jam the inning before with a couple strikeouts. He allowed one hard hit ball in 73 pitches, no extra base hits, and he fanned 5.

• 1 month later...
zack godley has had his contract selected by the brewers. he is out of minor league options and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

CC just doesn't have any other option but to recycle the same garbage over and over again, producing the same results over and over again.

zack godley has had his contract selected by the brewers. he is out of minor league options and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

CC just doesn't have any other option but to recycle the same garbage over and over again, producing the same results over and over again.

Right, because CC is the one in charge of calling players up.

I feel like I know the Brewers MiLB really well so it’s really neat to find a guy like Cousins who I didn’t know about
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I'm excited to see what Jake can do, so I am glad the Brewers are giving him a chance.

I dont understand the point of calling up Godley the other day. I cannot believe the Brewers fully evaluated him based on his 1/3 of an inning yesterday. If one bad outing is all it took to discard Godley, why not just give Cousins the call instead.

I'm excited to see what Jake can do, so I am glad the Brewers are giving him a chance.

I dont understand the point of calling up Godley the other day. I cannot believe the Brewers fully evaluated him based on his 1/3 of an inning yesterday. If one bad outing is all it took to discard Godley, why not just give Cousins the call instead.

He was always totally disposable. They needed an arm and he was one they could just dump the next day.

Also, when you're as borderline of a rosterable reliever as Godley is, you can indeed lose your job off a really bad 1/3rd of an inning. Brent Suter is not going to lose his job off a bad third of an inning. Neither is Brad Boxberger. Someone like Godley has no margin for error. He needed to at least give the team something to feel good about with his outing, and he did not.

I dont [sic] understand the point of calling up Godley the other day. I cannot believe the Brewers fully evaluated him based on his 1/3 of an inning yesterday. If one bad outing is all it took to discard Godley, why not just give Cousins the call instead.

godley hasn't been outrighted yet, but an outrighted player can have his contract selected again at any point . . . whereas an optioned player has to stay optioned for at least 10 days.

of course, the former requires being added back to the 40-man roster every time, and there's no guarantee that the guy will clear outright waivers each time.

it's a matter of convenience when a club needs a fresh arm, and a means to protect depth.

Archived