Brewer Fanatic

rhp zack godley opts for release

djoctagone

the brewers have signed zack godley to a minor league deal and invited him to big league camp.

godley is out of options and has been outrighted to the minor leagues before.

he becomes the 22nd non-roster player invited to big league camp, and will be one of six remaining non-roster invitees.

i was really interested in Godley a few years back as a potential cheap but solid #4 type pitcher down the road, but things really went south for him. He went on the DL in September with a elbow injury, and I have to wonder if the Red Sox really just put him out of his misery because he was really getting beat down. He gave up 21 earned runs in his last 17 1/3 innings and hitters OPS'ed 1.198.

The Red Sox had him ditch the sinker last year and one has to wonder if the Brewers will want him to bring that back. According to the Pitch Info numbers, he's been something like 35% curveball, 30% cutter, 30% sinker, 5% change-up when pitching at his best. The curveball has really been his only effective pitch.

i was really interested in Godley a few years back as a potential cheap but solid #4 type pitcher down the road, but things really went south for him. He went on the DL in September with a elbow injury, and I have to wonder if the Red Sox really just put him out of his misery because he was really getting beat down. He gave up 21 earned runs in his last 17 1/3 innings and hitters OPS'ed 1.198.

The Red Sox had him ditch the sinker last year and one has to wonder if the Brewers will want him to bring that back. According to the Pitch Info numbers, he's been something like 35% curveball, 30% cutter, 30% sinker, 5% change-up when pitching at his best. The curveball has really been his only effective pitch.

It's an unusual pitch mix for sure, in that these days you'd generally pair curveballs with 4-seamers, many of them up in the zone. So I could very well imagine they try changing his pitch usage around to get a more cohesive mix. Not quite sure how though, as his curve certainly seems his best pitch, but he's not exactly a guy you'd expect to have the 4-seamer to pair it with. So it'll be interest what, if anything, changes.

• 5 weeks later...

It's an unusual pitch mix for sure, in that these days you'd generally pair curveballs with 4-seamers, many of them up in the zone. So I could very well imagine they try changing his pitch usage around to get a more cohesive mix. Not quite sure how though, as his curve certainly seems his best pitch, but he's not exactly a guy you'd expect to have the 4-seamer to pair it with. So it'll be interest what, if anything, changes.

It looks like we’ll get a chance tomorrow to see what if anything the Brewers have changed with his pitch usage.

Godley is one of 122 pitchers with at least 500 IP since 2015.

Of those 122 pitchers he ranks 121st in terms of his ERA (4.86) underperforming his FIP (4.28), with only Jon Gray having a larger negative margin (& Coors likely has a lot to do with that).

What's interesting to me about that is Brewers pitchers have tended to be on the opposite end of the spectrum since Stearns and company have arrived, registering a 4.05 ERA vs a 4.21 FIP, the 3rd largest positive differential behind only the Cubs (3.76 ERA / 4.11 FIP) & Dodgers (3.42 ERA / 3.65 FIP).

By FIP, Godley has been essentially a league average pitcher over his career. If the Brewers can figure out the right tweaks to get his ERA more in line with his peripherals he could be another solid value pick up.

If they can somehow coax a 2017 level performance out of him (74 ERA- / 78 FIP-) they'll really be onto something. Wade Miley 2: Electric Boogaloo.

Of course the most likely outcome is he is just another arm on the carousel. Guess we'll get our first glimpse tomorrow afternoon.

Can't say this was on my radar. Let's hope for another Wade Miley / Jordan Lyles comeback story.

Starting to wonder if they are close to giving up on Lauer. He was bad last year, bad this spring, and hasn't done enough in the last month to get the call for a spot start over a guy not on the roster.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can't say this was on my radar. Let's hope for another Wade Miley / Jordan Lyles comeback story.

Starting to wonder if they are close to giving up on Lauer. He was bad last year, bad this spring, and hasn't done enough in the last month to get the call for a spot start over a guy not on the roster.

Or it means Godley has shown so well at the alternate site that they were not only willing to bypass the easiest decision, which would have been giving Suter a spot start, hoping they get 6-7 out of him and Weigel, and handing off to the pen, but they also bypassed what would have been the easier transaction to make, which would have been elevating Lauer or Bettinger, or just let Weigel make the start. It gives me a glimmer of hope that they may have unlocked something in Godley that they are excited to see against another MLB team.

Or he has a mid-May opt out, so a decision wasn't that far away. Better to find out if he has anything before they have to let him go? (if he wants)....

I assume it was kind of an expensive decision, rigth? He only gets the $800K base ($800K incentives) if he is on the MLB roster, right? In that case, maybe this shows that he has done so well, they were willing to guarantee that money (I assume it is guaranteed once he is on MLB roster, right?)

I would think ray or more likely Weigel

Either would make sense as an active roster move, but a 40-man move gets a little more complicated.

Fisher makes the most sense, either move him to the 60-day IL or DFA him.

Otherwise, there are some pitcher options. Bickford probably seems most likely there, but if they've completely lost faith in Lauer I suppose that might be an option too (if he's not getting called up here, when would he be?). Sobotka/Weigel are probably safe, and I doubt they'd cut File or Bettinger without calling them up first.

Another outside the box choice would be Vogelbach if they think they have enough protection at 1B from McKinney. I don't think they'd DFA Corey Ray yet. Maybe if it was a few months later and Taylor was continuing to rake, then Ray becomes a bit more expendable, but not now.

For now I'll guess either they 60-day/DFA Fisher or DFA Bickford.

Archived