Brewer Fanatic

26 Man Roster Discussion

RollieTime
With Vogelbach assured of a roster spot, since Counsell says McKinney's situation "could go down to the end," then perhaps McKinney's the 14th position player who would then lose out if they go 13/13 vs. 14/12 (position/pitchers) -- in essence, this year's version of Ji-Man Choi from a couple years ago.

They stand a better chance of getting a guy like McKinney through waivers a couple weeks into the season than they would this week. It's not like he's going to see much action. Taylor is in reality the 5th outfielder even though he won't be on the opening day roster and will be at AAA until he's needed.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With Vogelbach assured of a roster spot, since Counsell says McKinney's situation "could go down to the end," then perhaps McKinney's the 14th position player who would then lose out if they go 13/13 vs. 14/12 (position/pitchers) -- in essence, this year's version of Ji-Man Choi from a couple years ago.

ji-man choi had an option. billy mckinney does not. i still think that one of orlando arcia or luis urias is optioned when the club goes to 13/13.

ji-man choi had an option. billy mckinney does not. i still think that one of orlando arcia or luis urias is optioned when the club goes to 13/13.

If Urias is the starting SS out of spring, I doubt they pull the plug on it that quickly. Robertson is out of options, and wouldn't Arcia have enough service time to refuse an option? If so you are kind of stuck with those 3 unless you flat out cut Arcia. Going down to 4 OF would seem to be the easier route.

While I hope McKinney makes the team out of spring, he would seem much more disposable a week or so in. If one of the main 4 OF get hurt you can just bring up Taylor.

With Vogelbach assured of a roster spot, since Counsell says McKinney's situation "could go down to the end," then perhaps McKinney's the 14th position player who would then lose out if they go 13/13 vs. 14/12 (position/pitchers)
i still think that one of orlando arcia or luis urias is optioned when the club goes to 13/13.
If Urias is the starting SS out of spring, I doubt they pull the plug on it that quickly. Robertson is out of options, and wouldn't Arcia have enough service time to refuse an option? If so you are kind of stuck with those 3 unless you flat out cut Arcia. Going down to 4 OF would seem to be the easier route.

arcia can still be optioned. i can see how the club might be reluctant to option him in mid-april when there still isn't an official minor league season, but plans are in place for the alternate training site roster to play some exhibition games against other alternate training site teams.

Makes sense & thanks for clarifying. Both Arcia & Urias should be playing as close to everyday as possible. Eventually I think they stick with one of them but it's too soon to know which one it'll be -- and it seems like it could be another year or two before that long-term picture sorts itself out.

arcia can still be optioned. i can see how the club might be reluctant to option him in mid-april when there still isn't an official minor league season, but plans are in place for the alternate training site roster to play some exhibition games against other alternate training site teams.

Kind of crazy to think he's only played 3 full seasons and some change. In my head he's been our shortstop for like 8 years. If he can be optioned that gives the Brewers a lot more wiggle room with the roster. I'm still hoping they open with only 12 pitchers. Gives the bats more time to sort themselves out and gives CC more flexibility with pinch hitters the first week or so.

david stearns hints that with off days, the club may open with more position players than pitchers. likely, 14 to 12.

10 days from opening day, the club will be free to recall any pitcher from the alternate training site if they option or dfa a position player.

note the difference between recalling a player and selecting the contract of a player. the brewers would have the flexibility to dfa or option a position player sooner than 10 days into the season after opening day if they were to select the contract of a minor leaguer such as brad boxberger, instead of recalling an optioned player.

a roster spot could be created by dfa-ing a player as mentioned, or placing/transferring a player on/to the 60-day injured list. don't be surprised if a 10-day injured list guy gets transferred to the 60-day injured list.

Hahaha I have been talking about the Brewers going with a 6-man rotation for awhile now along with the Brewers skipping starts. I don't think the number of starts is the issue but the number of innings and pitch counts will be the real issues.

That would be great if we had 6 legit guys that should be in the rotation.

After we get through Woody, Burnes, Peralta and Anderson, having one more guy take a bullet every 5 games is fine, but now we'd have to start 2 guys in that role?

Ugh.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

After we get through Woody, Burnes, Peralta and Anderson, having one more guy take a bullet every 5 games is fine, but now we'd have to start 2 guys in that role?

Ugh.

Lindblom and Houser. Gulp.

Ugh.

I'm sure that's exactly how every team outside of the Dodgers feels

there's actually a way for the brewers to open with 15 position players if they plan to add brad boxberger to the bullpen.

assume billy mckinney makes the club as the 14th position player. the brewers could place justin topa on the 10-day injured list, and recall luke maile to take his place (or add a player yet to be optioned, such as tyrone taylor).

the brewers then opt to use other bullpen arms ahead of brad boxberger. when they decide that they need a fresh arm, they option the 15th position player (who then must remain down for at least 10 days), transfer topa to the 60-day injured list to open up a 40-man spot, and select the contract of boxberger. this could happen as soon as saturday before game two.

as mentioned earlier, any player on a minor league contract isn't bound by a requisite stay of 10 days on optional assignment.

i suggested luke maile because it gives the club a defensive replacement if daniel vogelbach, for example, pinch hits for one of catchers.

the downside is that the 15th position player is then off-limits for 10 days after being optioned, unless replacing an injured player.

to my point above, we know that marathon extra-inning games are unlikely with a runner leading off each half-inning at second base, and we also know about the three-batter-minimum rule. the brewers won't be using all of their pitchers on opening day.

There's this narrative out there that the 162 game schedule is going to be very hard on pitching staffs because of the short 2020 season. I'm not buying it. There's been a 162 game schedule for almost 60 years prior to last year and today's pitchers who train year round aren't capable of handling it? With 7 inning double header games and tricked up extra innings to boot? Ridiculous. I'd like to see a 13 man pitching staff limit.

There's this narrative out there that the 162 game schedule is going to be very hard on pitching staffs because of the short 2020 season. I'm not buying it. There's been a 162 game schedule for almost 60 years prior to last year and today's pitchers who train year round aren't capable of handling it? With 7 inning double header games and tricked up extra innings to boot? Ridiculous. I'd like to see a 13 man pitching staff limit.

Agreed, there's been talk of this everyday it seems... I'm not buying it either, guys will pitch over 200 innings and make 30 starts this year.

Given pitcher injury & attrition rates, a case could be made that they haven't been able to handle 162 game seasons for some time now. Maybe the shortened 2020 exasperates that, or maybe the extra rest is actually beneficial for some guys. Most likely it will vary on a case by case basis.

200 IP pitchers per season over last ten full seasons...

2010: 45

2011: 39

2012: 31

2013: 36

2014: 34

2015: 28

2016: 15

2017: 15

2018: 13

2019: 15

Sure, guys will pitch 200 IP this season. I'll guess seven total & zero on the Brewers.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Ray Black apparently (very quietly) has cleared waivers, and has been outrighted to the alternate training site.

Thank god! Boxberger will make the OD bullpen then.

It would seem so, but it also wouldn't be unlike the Brewers to pull a fast one and give Feyereisen or Perdomo those 26-man spots, or scour the cuts today and tomorrow to add someone.

Ray Black apparently (very quietly) has cleared waivers, and has been outrighted to the alternate training site.

It would seem so, but it also wouldn't be unlike the Brewers to pull a fast one and give Feyereisen or Perdomo those 26-man spots, or scour the cuts today and tomorrow to add someone.

perdomo can only make the opening day roster if a player is placed on the injured list. otherwise, he has to meet the requisite stay of at least 10 days optioned, with the clock starting opening day. considering that the brewers have at least three players intended to be placed on the injured list, the brewers could opt to recall three optioned players for opening day, and then option them after game one as i've suggested above.

Agreed, I can see that happening as well.

Archived