Brewer Fanatic

26 Man Roster Discussion

RollieTime
Cain has played in less than 140 games and had less than 600 PAs exactly one season since 2015. Saying you'll be shocked if he plays half our games is a lot more of an emotional argument than a rational one. Cain isn't some walking medical disaster. He has a proportionate amount of injuries to most 35 year olds that have been playing professionally since 2005. It's not unexpected that it will take him a little bit to get up to speed this year after opting out last year.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll take the over on Cain playing 81 games this season:

2017 - 155 games played

2018 - 141 games played

2019 - 148 games played

2020 - Played 5 of 6 games before opting out

2021 - Projection systems predicting 119-125 games played. He saved his body from a year of wear and tear and with JBJ he will get consistent rest days when needed.

The only reason to be down on his ability to stay on the field is because he's turning 35 this year (which I'm kind of surprised he's still only 34). From 2017-19, there were 29 outfielders age 35+ and 19 of the 29 played in over 81 games (with no minimum PA limit), and 17 of those 19 played in over 100 games. 10 of them played in at least 136 games. And that's including eight guys who were 38 or older and many guys who weren't even expected to have starting roles.

He's had some understandable rust to shake off to begin Spring Training, but I'm looking forward to having Cain's defense and energy back on the team this year.

What about the over/under .700 OPS...?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Somewhere in another thread and another time, I posted that I felt like signing JBJ was 80% Cain insurance for this year.

He is 35 years old and hit .697 OPS in 2019 (looking very much NOT himself). So was it age or a bad year? Will a year off help him recover or make it harder to recover his swing timing? Big questions that only the first month or two of the season will answer... You hope for 800 OPS Cain, but sign JBJ to prepare for sub-700 OPS Cain.

Frankly, good to have him back in the dugout either way.

I think Cain will be right around .715-.725 OPS and play good defense. I also think he will play about 120 games or so. We shall see.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm not overly worried about Cain. Even in 2019 the statcast data told a different story, he was hitting the ball well. And even when you look at just outcomes, his GG defense was enough to put up a 3 WAR (Per BBref) season. With JBJ in the fold, the team also don't need to have Cain play while hurt like he did for a lot of 2019. Do something similar to the planned rest days that Braun had, and I expect Cain will have a solid year even if it's not MVP candidate levels like in 2015 and 2018.

Hoby Milner says hello.

Granted he will revert back to career norms most likely, but he has thrown really well this spring. I'm guessing he's at least equal right now to any "lefty off the street".

This is a fair point...was not sure if he had options or was at a Blaine Hardy level of option.

I like free and if they can keep him and have him on the Nashville shuffle from time to time then deal!

david stearns hints that with off days, the club may open with more position players than pitchers. likely, 14 to 12.

10 days from opening day, the club will be free to recall any pitcher from the alternate training site if they option or dfa a position player.

barring injury, i'd put one of orlando arcia or luis urias on the hot seat for optional assignment if the club decides to go to 13 pitchers later in april.

My 26 Man Guess

C: Omar Narvaez, Manny Pina

1B: Keston Hiura, Billy McKinney (L)

2B: Kolton Wong (L)

3B: Travis Shaw (L), Daniel Robertson

SS: Luis Urias, Orlando Arcia

OF: Christian Yelich (L), Lorenzo Cain, Avisail Garcia, Jackie Bradley Jr. (L)

SP: Brandon Woodruff, Corbin Burnes, Brett Anderson (L), Adrian Houser, Freddy Peralta

RP: Josh Hader (L), Devin Williams, Brent Suter (L), Drew Rasmussen, Justin Topa, Eric Yardley, JP Feyereisen, Josh Lindblom

No DH I think costs Vogelbach his roster spot.

My 26 Man Guess

SP: Brandon Woodruff, Corbin Burnes, Brett Anderson (L), Adrian Houser, Freddy Peralta

RP: Josh Hader (L), Devin Williams, Brent Suter (L), Dennis Rasmussen, Justin Topa, Eric Yardley, JP Feyereisen, Josh Lindblom

Dennis huh? Haha

If there's a better chance than not that the DH returns in 2022 and I think it will, I think they can find enough AB's for Vogelbach off the bench and he becomes a key guy in 2022. Hiura in the lineup at second base today is a tell. Means that Wong is going to get off days here and there too.

If there's a better chance than not that the DH returns in 2022 and I think it will, I think they can find enough AB's for Vogelbach off the bench and he becomes a key guy in 2022. Hiura in the lineup at second base today is a tell. Means that Wong is going to get off days here and there too.

I don't think Vogelbach's not on this team all year unless he regresses to his pre-MIL 2020 numbers and stays there for a lengthy time.

The Brewers could keep Vogelbach by reducing one pitcher in the roster, they could start the season with 14 position players and 12 pitchers.

My 26 Man Guess

RP: Josh Hader (L), Devin Williams, Brent Suter (L), Drew Rasmussen, Justin Topa, Eric Yardley, JP Feyereisen, Josh Lindblom

My 26 Man Guess

I guess I don't see why McKinney would get the roster spot over Vogelbach. I'd rather have the pinch hitter who can at the very least work the count and have a better chance of getting on base. McKinney is obviously a better and more versatile defender but how much is he really going to play in the outfield with the 4 we have? And even if we needed another outfielder, we still have Taylor who is probably as good as McKinney is anyways.

McKinney is obviously a better and more versatile defender but how much is he really going to play in the outfield with the 4 we have?

jackie bradley, jr. and lorenzo cain got far fewer cactus league plate appearances than intended due to injuries. who knows how ready they'll both be for the grind of nine inning games in the early weeks of the season?

barring an outside acquisition, mckinney makes the opening day roster.

Would think they would make so cuts today and leave guys in AZ when they travel back. Seems like a lot of roster trimming around the league has been done last night and this morning.

not for the brewers, as those players are likely mostly early camp minor leaguers not in major league camp and rehabbing players. expect any player destined for the big leagues or the alternate training site roster (and possibly the injured list) to fly on a charter plane after today's final cactus league game to texas, and then onward to milwaukee. don't forget that mlb wants its players to avoid commercial air travel until at least may. charter flights keep the guys in a bubble.

Would think they would make so cuts today and leave guys in AZ when they travel back. Seems like a lot of roster trimming around the league has been done last night and this morning.

not for the brewers, as those players are likely mostly early camp minor leaguers not in major league camp and rehabbing players. expect any player destined for the big leagues or the alternate training site roster (and possibly the injured list) to fly on a charter plane after today's final cactus league game to texas, and then onward to milwaukee. don't forget that mlb wants its players to avoid commercial air travel until at least may. charter flights keep the guys in a bubble.

I thought they stayed in AZ until April 12th when ATS opens. Makes sense with commercial travel

I thought they stayed in AZ until April 12th when ATS opens. Makes sense with commercial travel

you also have to factor in that the second wave of spring training, set to last five weeks in arizona, will have new players that have to clear intake and get ramped up. doesn't make sense to keep a bunch of guys who have already cleared intake and are stretched out in arizona. one, you're reducing crowd sizes in arizona, and two, you're keeping the majority of the players on the same timeline of start-of-camp workouts instead of actual game playing in the first weeks of spring training 2.0.

remember, for the month of april, clubs may only activate players from their alternate training site. the brewers obtained permission from mlb to conduct their alternate training site activities at american family field during the first homestand of the 2021 championship season and while the brewers are on their first road trip.

News on Topa sucks. Boxberger has been re-signed, and has been told he may make the roster now.

Ray Black, if healthy, would make it over Boxberger. They would expose Black to waivers if he didn’t make it, not with Boxberger.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
News on Topa sucks. Boxberger has been re-signed, and has been told he may make the roster now.

Ray Black, if healthy, would make it over Boxberger. They would expose Black to waivers if he didn’t make it, not with Boxberger.

Agreed. Just pointing out what the speculation is amongst the beat writers. I think it's Black's spot to lose too.

With Vogelbach assured of a roster spot, since Counsell says McKinney's situation "could go down to the end," then perhaps McKinney's the 14th position player who would then lose out if they go 13/13 vs. 14/12 (position/pitchers) -- in essence, this year's version of Ji-Man Choi from a couple years ago.

Archived