Brewer Fanatic

26 Man Roster Discussion

RollieTime

Never, not once, did I suggest releasing/cutting Cain.

We'll see how many times he goes on the IL this year.

We'll see how many games he actually plays.

Not wishing ill on the guy, I hope he has an all-star season, but it seems that a few people are not seeing the writing on the wall.

Which is fine.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Never, not once, did I suggest releasing/cutting Cain.

We'll see how many times he goes on the IL this year.

We'll see how many games he actually plays.

Not wishing ill on the guy, I hope he has an all-star season, but it seems that a few people are not seeing the writing on the wall.

Which is fine.

This you?

He has done all that he can to earn a spot, and yet, he is probably going to be the odd man out.

Instead, we will keep an old man who is past his prime, body failing, just because we owe him another 30 million on what everyone knew was going to be a bad contract in years 3-5. Luckily we got out of paying him in year 3.

I mean, if you aren't suggesting releasing Cain here, what exactly are you suggesting?

I did not say cut him or release him.

It was factual, we'll be keeping Cain, and Taylor won't have a spot.

So what would be your solution if you were running the team?

[sarcasm]Third base.[/sarcasm]

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I did not say cut him or release him.

It was factual, we'll be keeping Cain, and Taylor won't have a spot.

So what would be your solution if you were running the team?

He said his solution was to trade Taylor to a team that will give him a shot.

The problem is that Taylor's trade value is probably pretty low. I'm sure much lower than the value of actually having 5 useful outfielders within the organization in a year in which depth will be vital.

Trading Taylor may be best for him, but surely not best for the team.

Probably best to move on from that particular thread of the discussion.

Whatever they decide for opening day we'll be glad for depth this year, that's certain. I'm sure they are making clear to guys sent to aaa that they are expected to have a role on the major league team this year. This is an area of roster usage where the brewers are ahead of the curve I think...

I'm glad to read that Urias is likely to start in the majors and would truly love to see him seize the job at short. Rarely do my Brewers wishes ever come out quite the way I hoped or expected though.

He has an opinion, from somewhere I'm not sure where, that Cain is a chronically injured player. I'm truly at a loss where this is coming from. He played more total games than Christian Yelich over the course of the '18 & '19 seasons and opted out of '20 but not because of injury. But hey, whatever narrative floats your boat.

Oblique strains aren't odd injuries for baseball players, neither are groin strains which landed Cain on the 10 day DL in 2018. Yelich also landed on the DL in 2018 by the way, with, you guessed it, an oblique injury.

As far as I know Cain doesn't have back issues that flare up on him like they do for Yelich from time to time. He's got the thumb thing which can be treated with cryotherapy the same as Braun's thumb was. Braun isn't out of baseball right now because his body won't let him be productive, it's that he only wants to play for the Brewers and the Brewers likely don't want to pay him enough to make it worth his while.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm glad to read that Urias is likely to start in the majors and would truly love to see him seize the job at short. Rarely do my Brewers wishes ever come out quite the way I hoped or expected though.

I was glad to read that as well. I'm excited to see what a fully healthy Urias can do. It sounds to me like SS may turn out to be sort of a "hot hand" situation this year, at least early on. Hopefully Urias seizes control right away and doesn't give it up. That would mean he's productive. We've seen some flashes of what he could be ... time to find the consistency.

A little surprised nobody has mentioned this but saw an article on ESPN that confirms Hader will be mostly used as a traditional closer this season. I know most believed this would be the way things go but to have Counsell and Hader both talking about it brings a level of finality to it.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31122019/milwaukee-brewers-try-keep-josh-hader-traditional-ninth-inning-closer-role

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Tyrone Taylor has a .738 minor league OPS in 8 minor league seasons. He is the very definition of just a guy.

Could you do worse for a 4th or 5th OFer? Sure. But he isn't a guy you need to make room for.

He has done all that he can to earn a spot, and yet, he is probably going to be the odd man out.

In 856 PAs at AAA between 2018-19 Tyrone posted a 101 wRC+.

In 1,118 PAs at AA between 2015-17 Tyrone posted an 86 wRC+.

Minor league wRC+ translates for league-wide offensive context, but does not adjust for home park. If you account for Tyrone's 2018-19 being in Colorado Springs he essentially has five years of below average offensive performance in the high minors at this point.

That's the kind of performance that earns you another trip to AAA.

McKinney and Fisher have MiLB numbers that put Taylor to shame, same age or younger, and look how much value they had last offseason
I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

I doubt Taylor's old minors stats have any bearing whatsoever on the Brewers' 2021 roster construction.

I think it would come down to who has minors options available, as others have stated. Taylor has looked the part when in Milwaukee. Hopefully when he gets his next opportunity he makes the most of it.

I doubt Taylor's old minors stats have any bearing whatsoever on the Brewers' 2021 roster construction.

I think it would come down to who has minors options available, as others have stated. Taylor has looked the part when in Milwaukee. Hopefully when he gets his next opportunity he makes the most of it.

Well, I sure hope they use 3000 career minor league ABs for Taylor at least partially in their evaluation of him, because they are a lot more indicative than less than 50 ABs in the bigs.

My final guess at the 26 man roster:

C: Narvaez, Pina

1B: Hiura, McKinney

2B: Wong

SS: Urias, Arcia

3B: Shaw

OF: Yelich, Cain, Garcia, JBJ, Taylor

SP: Woodruff, Anderson, Burnes, Lindblom, Houser, Peralta

RP: Hader, Williams, Suter, Rasmussen, Topa, Yardley, Feyereisen

I went with a 13-13 split for pitchers and batters and I think the Brewers are going to need a 6th starter at least to start the first month or two of the season so both Houser and Peralta will get starts at the #5 and #6 spot. Possibly see a tag team of Peralta and Lindblom somewhat similar to what you see in A ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see Suter start for 3-innings and then hand it over to someone like Peralta or Lindblom. Though Lindblom and Anderson should be getting the majority of the innings during the beginning of the year.

Maybe I am crazy to think this is the roster but I think it should be close?

I went with a 13-13 split for pitchers and batters and I think the Brewers are going to need a 6th starter at least to start the first month or two of the season so both Houser and Peralta will get starts at the #5 and #6 spot. Possibly see a tag team of Peralta and Lindblom somewhat similar to what you see in A ball. I wouldn't be surprised to see Suter start for 3-innings and then hand it over to someone like Peralta or Lindblom. Though Lindblom and Anderson should be getting the majority of the innings during the beginning of the year.

They won’t keep Taylor (who has options) over Vogelbach. As a 6th outfielder he wouldn’t play.

I was glad to read that as well. I'm excited to see what a fully healthy Urias can do. It sounds to me like SS may turn out to be sort of a "hot hand" situation this year, at least early on. Hopefully Urias seizes control right away and doesn't give it up. That would mean he's productive. We've seen some flashes of what he could be ... time to find the consistency.

I'm still high on Urias but really think he might be best off in the minors. One thing I think just about everyone would agree on is that he really should be an everyday starting player, and if that isn't happening in the majors then it should be happening in AAA. Young players need plate appearances. Would hate to see Urias on the major league team if he's only getting 12 plate appearances per week. All that said, if I'm playing GM I likely would have Urias on the 26-man roster and would be playing him everyday at 3B while getting some looks at SS as well...just not sold on Travis Shaw having a big rebound.

They won’t keep Taylor (who has options) over Vogelbach. As a 6th outfielder he wouldn’t play.

Vogelbach has no positional flexibility maybe that is a moot point with JBJ on the team but I think the Brewers would rather have Taylor and McKinney over Vogelbach.

Robertson seemed to be a total lock recently. Is it the perception of folks here that that has changed?

Not me. This is what I think it will look like.

1B: Hiura, Vogelbach

SS: Urias

OF: Yelich, Cain, Garcia, JBJ

UT: Robertson, Arcia

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived