Brewer Fanatic

26 Man Roster Discussion

RollieTime

phil bickford has been sent to class aaa nashville on optional assignment. unless replacing an injured player or a player on leave, he must remain on optional assignment for at least 10 days, starting opening day.

travis shaw has had his contract selected. mark mathias has been placed on the 60-day injured list.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in case you've lost count, 40 players remain in major league camp--five of which are non-roster players. one of the 40 is expected to open the season on the injured list (bobby wahl).

a number of others have been shut down, or have only recently begun playing again in cactus league games after being shut down:

ray black (sore right elbow)

lorenzo cain (right quadriceps strain)

derek fisher (left hamstring)

jacob nottingham (recovery from thumb surgery)

luis urías (recovered from left hamstring injury)

devin williams (held back after end-of-season strained right rotator cuff)

I think 13 pitchers is to be expected and so it's what I went with below, but it's not certain. The below is what I expect to see, but what I want to see doesn't really differ from that in any meaningful way.

C: Pina, Narvaez

1B: Hiura, Vogelbach

2B: Wong

3B: Shaw, Robertson

SS: Urias, Arcia

OF: Yelich, Cain, Garcia, JBJ

I was quite intrigued by Fisher, but with 4 OF "starters" ahead of him and not playing 1B, I'm not sure it's a great roster fit. But it's Fisher, McKinney or Vogey for the last spot. That roster spot is probably the only one up in the air atm. Some player(s) starting on the IL, or a very unlikely optioning of an optionable player (Hiura, Urias or Arcia) are the only things that could possibly change it. And I seriously doubt they option either of those.

Taylor would be first man up in case of OF injuries. Reyes is infield depth. Wonder if they'll try to sneak Nottingham through waivers or if a trade is in the making. Maile, with his option, would be the backup in case of injuries.

Pitching roles will be fluid, but will list 6 SPs whether it's as a 6-man rotation or some kind of piggyback like with Anderson/Burnes last year. Either way, more then 5 will see starter-type usage by design, even before injuries or underperformance.

SP: Woodruff, Burnes, Anderson, Lindblom, Houser, Peralta

RP: Hader, Williams, Suter, Rasmussen, Topa, two from Boxberger/Yardley/Black/Feyereisen

So it's really only the last two spots up in the air. I would personally go with Feyereisen (based on performance) and Black (If he's ever healthy I still want to see what he can do) and option Yardley and let Boxberger either opt out or start the season at the alternate site. But I could see them going several different ways here. They could even go with an extra position player early on and rotate the various optionable relievers here with Perdomo, Bickford and Lauer to cover the innings.

They could even go with an extra position player early on and rotate the various optionable relievers here with Perdomo, Bickford and Lauer to cover the innings.

a reminder that an optioned player must remain optioned for a minimum of 10 days, starting opening day, unless replacing an injured player or a player on leave. thus, a replacement player "early on" (i.e. first 10 days of the season) would have to be from outside of the organization, or a non-roster player.

Lauer was awful last year and needed to impress to crack the big league club and instead just picked up where he left off.

He'll start in Nashville, because why wouldn't you. But he wouldn't be my 6th or 7th rotation choice.

Lauer was awful last year and needed to impress to crack the big league club and instead just picked up where he left off.

He'll start in Nashville, because why wouldn't you. But he wouldn't be my 6th or 7th rotation choice.

Yep agreed... He needs more time in AAA, it looks like.

Yep agreed... He needs more time in AAA, it looks like.

I still can't fathom how he started 52 games in 2018-2019 and had a mid-4 ERA. Watching him pitch last year was the opposite of entertainment.

It does feel like it's coming down to Vogelbach or McKinney for that final spot. Both lefthanded hitters. Both can backup 1st base. McKinney is 2 years younger and can also play the outfield corners, but Vogelbach showcased himself very well at the end of last season. Should be an interesting decision.

2021 Spring Training:

JBiEvrs.png

2018-20 vs. RHP (MLB):

vNW32sv.png

2018-20 vs. LHP (MLB):

0wtAb16.png

2018-20 Fielding:

CvSHCIW.png

2017-19 MiLB:

9Osqd0B.png

Vogelbach 2021 Projections:

qbaR3VG.png

McKinney 2021 Projections:

Nx3uCTS.png

If the decision is between Vogelbach, McKinney and Fisher, it’s not particularly close for me. Vogelbach is the guy. He’s not my kind of ball player, too much 3TO, but compared to the other two, I would rather risk losing them than Big Dan. Put another way, I will be upset if Vogelbach is cut because of McKinney or Fisher.

If the decision is between Vogelbach, McKinney and Fisher, it’s not particularly close for me. Vogelbach is the guy. He’s not my kind of ball player, too much 3TO, but compared to the other two, I would rather risk losing them than Big Dan. Put another way, I will be upset if Vogelbach is cut because of McKinney or Fisher.

Since he joined the Brewers, Vogelbach has been far from a 3TO hitter. He's going to the opposite field, making contact (only 2 K's all spring), and provides a good AB every time up. I'd keep him this year and then hope the DH is back in 2022. I see times where Hiura is struggling a bit and needing some days off and having a bat like Vogelbach means they won't miss a beat.

Still like Vogelbach better than the other two. Would DFA McKinney and hopefully he could clear waivers and be outrighted to the minors, keep Vogelbach and kick the can with Fisher by putting him on the IL and rehab at the alternate training site. If Vogelbach didn't show anything the first month or two one of those two could replace him.

i think that everything revolves around brad boxberger. if boxberger gets added to the 40-man roster, it comes at the expense of another player being dfa'd, suffering a long-term injury or testing positive.

i think that you have to assume that both derek fisher and jacob nottingham open up the season on the injured list, so they're not the dfa candidates. ray black might open on the injured list, or could be dfa'd for boxberger. we don't know the severity of bobby wahl's oblique injury, other than that he will open the season on the injured list. if it's the 60-day, boxberger slides in.

i don't think it's guaranteed that both orlando arcia and luis urias make the team. either can be optioned. that opens up a spot for both billy mckinney and daniel vogelbach.

it will definitely come down to the wire. a positive test of any rostered player could happen at any moment . . . and again, that opens up a precious 40-man spot.

2 jacks today and the ability to play 1B McKinney is going to make the 26 man. Will be interesting to see what happens with Vogelbach.

I think Vogelbach OBP will keep him ahead of McKinney. He’s more of a complete hitter.

I think Vogelbach is the better hitter too, but we’re talking about someone who is going to be the 2nd pinch hitter, spot starter at 1B and maybe a DH once in awhile. Who’s more likely to stay fresh with sporadic playing time. I have no guess

As has been mentioned, Brewers like a veteran RP and they've made a move acquiring one. Boxberger or mystery RP give you just that. Zimmermann seems the type for sacrifice bullpen recovery, bad Start toss 3-4 innings. I like Suter in that role simply because how fast he pitches. Make a bad game end all the quicker. Boxberger has no history to be that. Feyereisen deserves a full shot.

There may actually not be a need for any veteran considering the teams depth of arms to call upon. Suter, Houser, or Peralta should be capable of 4 innings. Rasmussen? Is he another you put down for that role? I know you want to give him an opportunity to stretch out as a Starter still.

Mckinney, Vogelbach, Fisher I wouldn't care if none of the three make the roster. Keep an extra Pitcher as innings limits from all 6 Starters are something to manage. Counsell likely pulls a Starter early often the first half of season. 4-5IP. You don't want to tax the bullpen, so that extra Pitcher seems more appropriate. JBJ's signing makes 5th OF/PH rather big waste of roster space.

Assuming he doesn't make the OD roster (or the active roster after DL time), couldn't they just outright Nottingham to AAA? I don't recall that happening before & for most guys like him, it can happen once (and only once).

Fisher, Wahl, & Black seemed destined for the DL.

Urias seems destined for AAA. The guy needs to get healthy & get his game back, and AAA seems like the right solution on all counts in the short term.

Boxberger's been about as effective as a RH Alex Claudio, if that. I don't want him to make the team over some others. I'd greatly prefer Zimmermann if only because he's got a much higher ceiling -- though between time & the injuries he's dealt with over the past few years, it's a major unknown if he's capable anymore of re-attaining what his Nationals performance level was.

So that puts my current hunch at:

C: Pina, Narvaez

IF: Hiura, Wong, Arcia, Shaw, Robertson, Vogelbach

OF: Yelich, Cain, Bradley, Garcia, McKinney

SP: Woodruff, Burnes, Houser, Anderson, Lindblom

RP: Hader, Williams, Peralta, Suter, Yardley, Rasmussen, Topa, Zimmermann

Which leaves Feyereisen on the outside looking in, but if Zimmermann fails or someone else gets hurt, he's an easy first callup.

Zimmermann obvious requires someone else's 40-man spot. The 60-day IL or an outright (Nottingham?) opens that spot.

Assuming he doesn't make the OD roster (or the active roster after DL time), couldn't they just outright Nottingham to AAA? I don't recall that happening before & for most guys like him, it can happen once (and only once).

a player can be given an outright assignment more than once. it's just after the first outright assignment, that the player has the right to refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent. nottingham has never been outrighted before, so it remains a possibility (if he were to clear outright waivers).

a player can be given an outright assignment more than once. it's just after the first outright assignment, that the player has the right to refuse the minor league assignment and become a free agent. nottingham has never been outrighted before, so it remains a possibility (if he were to clear outright waivers).

Cant a team claim him but then still stuff him in their AAA even though he doesn't have an option? It was something I think happened not long ago that I feel shouldn't

happen. The claiming team imo should be forced to place him on 26man or return back to Brewers in this instance.

Archived