OF: Yelich, Cain, Bradley Jr, Garcia, Fisher

SP: Woodruff, Burnes, Lindblom, Houser, Anderson

RP: Hader, Williams, Suter, Topa, Yardley, Rasmussen, Peralta, Boxberger

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's literally the worst hitter in baseball over the last 3 years.

Elvis Andrus is saying "hold my beer."

:laughing

I stand corrected!

Edit: No I don't. All hail king Orlando!

Further edit: And for the record, I agree that they should keep him this year and pray a switch gets flipped. They've already burned the $2,000,000 so might as well hope for the best. I really hope they don't start him at ss over Urias though. We need to figure out what we have in Luis.

four players on the 40-man roster sent to class aaa nashville on optional assignment. unless replacing an injured player or a player on leave, they must remain on optional assignment for at least 10 days, starting opening day.

c mario feliciano

of corey ray

rhp alec bettinger

rhp dylan file

both pitchers, because of injuries, had yet to appear in a cactus league game.

63 players remain in major league camp, plus one on the 60-day injured list.

C: Narvaez, Pina

IF: Wong, Hiura, Reyes, Arcia, Urias, Robertson

OF: Yelich, Bradley Jr, Garcia, Taylor

SP: Woodruff, Burnes, Houser, Anderson, Peralta

RP: Hader, Williams, Suter, Topa, Yardley, Rasmussen, Perdomo, Ashby, Boxberger

Cain- DL

Lindblom- DFA

You think they DFA Lindblom with 2 years still left on his deal?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Cain- DL

Lindblom- DFA

You think they DFA Lindblom with 2 years still left on his deal?

I think there's probably a next to 0% chance of that happening. He's cheap. They'll kick him to the pen way before they drop him from the team.

There's probably also close to a 0% chance of Ashby making the opening day roster.

Cain- DL

Lindblom- DFA

Where did you have Lauer going? I can't imagine any way CC just DFA's Lindblom. I don't see any way Ashby is in the big leagues either, especially in the pen. I think they want him to go down and be a starter at AA. My take is: Shaw replaces Reyes (I think Reyes has a chance if CC keeps only 8 guys in the pen and 5 on the bench) and Lauer/Lindblom join the bullpen in place of Ashby/Perdomo if Peralta starts.

I keep thinking Reyes doesn’t really have a shot at the opening day roster, but he just keeps getting hits....

I think Feyereisen is slowly working his way into the bullpen conversation at least. He’s throwing well.

40-man status and options will decide some of these battles. For example, Ashby and Reyes won't be on the 40-man (barring a series of injuries) even if the Brewers were to really like them and expected them to contribute in 2021. You can start with an out of options guy on the 26-man, and cut/IL him if needed due to performance/injury and bring up an Ashby or Reyes. You can't do it the other way around. So it basically needs to be crystal clear that the non 40-man guy is a better option. And yeah, absolutely no way Lindblom gets DFAd before the season.

Here's where Arcia is at. 2 years to FA. Time to go shine and make 10s of Millions a year in to your 30s. His improvements on statcast numbers, should it continue, then he's going to be sought after. We'll know after a month-plus if he's improving or that short sample season caught him during a hitting streak for him. The higher EV and higher launch angle means balls getting past the infielders. You give him another 1MPH EV and a 2-4pct higher launch angle than last season his bat will be taking off. Now, the pessimist can look at being the worst or near worst batter and saying there's improvements behind the numbers, well he could only go higher from worst. Like said we'll know in a month-plus of games if he's finally improving or if he's still batting near the worst in baseball, at which point I'd expect him optioned or waived altogether.

How set are Boxberger and JZimmerman...I know that experience is good, but is the quality there enough to burn an option on a better arm?

I don't think Zimmerman is "set", I think it's just the opposite. He has almost no chance to make this team opening day, and most people thought that from the day he signed. He was always a real long shot.

Boxberger probably has a better chance of hanging on because most of the guys chasing him are young arms that can easily be sent down. Feyereisen is having a very good spring, but doesn't hurt anything to send him down to start the year. Where in reverse, they pretty much can't send Boxberger down unless the IL him to start the year and give him time to get if figured out. Maybe he can get a "blister".

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
How set are Boxberger and JZimmerman...I know that experience is good, but is the quality there enough to burn an option on a better arm?

I don't think Zimmerman is "set", I think it's just the opposite. He has almost no chance to make this team opening day, and most people thought that from the day he signed. He was always a real long shot.

Boxberger probably has a better chance of hanging on because most of the guys chasing him are young arms that can easily be sent down. Feyereisen is having a very good spring, but doesn't hurt anything to send him down to start the year. Where in reverse, they pretty much can't send Boxberger down unless the IL him to start the year and give him time to get if figured out. Maybe he can get a "blister".

Boxberger is on a minor league deal. They'd have to pay him the retention bonus to hang on to him, but he doesn't even need to be sent down, because he's technically already down.

Boxberger and Zimmermann sure have not pitched like there is anything left in the tank. However, absent some other veteran coming aboard, the most grizzled veteran coming out of the pen would be Suter with all of 250 major league innings under his belt. While I don't think it matters not having a journeyman veteran arm out of the pen, Milwaukee seems to have one every year with varying results:

David Phelps, Alex Wilson, Dan Jennings, JJ Hoover, Jared Hughes, Tommy Millone, Blaine Boyer etc.

That suggests to me one of Boxberger or Zimmermann will have a real chance of making the team.

Boxberger is on a minor league deal. They'd have to pay him the retention bonus to hang on to him, but he doesn't even need to be sent down, because he's technically already down.

Being 32 and with his service time, I'm sure he has an opt out if they are planning on him going down to start the year. I was thinking he either starts the year in the pen or he would find somewhere where he can. Although, with the way he's throwing, there may not be a ton of options for him.

That suggests to me one of Boxberger or Zimmermann will have a real chance of making the team.

also possible is the acquisition of a veteran arm released by another team at the conclusion of their spring training. potentially gives the club flexibility in opening the season with another player as outlined in this scenario. given the need to clear intake, i'm not sure how quickly a new acquisition could be officially activated.

Being 32 and with his service time, I'm sure he has an opt out if they are planning on him going down to start the year.

boxberger's age has no bearing on his ability to require a retention bonus and a second opt-out date, but his service time does. there must be unconditional release or a retention bonus must be paid by 15 april if boxberger and/or zimmermann has not made the opening day roster or major league injured list. players paid the retention bonus can request to be granted their unconditional release on 1 june if they are not added to the 26-man roster or mlb injured list by then. this request must be submitted in writing no later than 28 may.

it is possible for a player to have negotiated an earlier second opt-out date, but this is what boxberger is entitled to if he is paid the $100,000 retention bonus. ditto for zimmermann.

Lathund has it right. (Feel like I've typed that before!) Always with Stearns the initial roster seems to reflect a bias towards preserving depth and not making irreversible moves to lose talent, so the guys with options are at a bit of a disadvantage if they are going head to head with someone without them. This is almost regardless of spring performance (and, within limits, probably it's unwise to judge solely on spring performance anyway).

This year the bubble guys without options are Black, Nottingham, Vogelbach, Robertson, Fisher, and McKinney. For each of those they have to decide whether they are willing to risk losing them, and/or whether they think they can slip them through waivers in the flurry of end-of-ST moves.

That said I see four of them as likely off the 40 before too long: Black I think is not going to make it, though I can imagine him passing through waivers. Nottingham might go DL but he's not one of our top two catchers, probably he's off the 40 when he's healthy? Vogelbach I think they like a bit but as a DH, and that ship seems to have sailed. McKinney is probably competing vs him and Fisher as a lefty bench bat but he can play several positions...but even if he's ahead of DV, is he ahead of Fisher? Is he one of your best 26? We got him on waivers and he might well clear this time. I think ZIPS or some other projection loved him though and so, who knows...

OTOH I think if healthy Fisher probably wins 5th OF over Tyrone Taylor as a virtue of Taylor's option and Fisher's LH bat...that way they keep both even if Taylor gets a bit screwed going back to AAA again. Robertson they seem to like and since they can keep him and Reyes both without risk they'll do that.

Odds are good they'll need that depth so I can't even say I hate this, much as I'm a mild T Taylor fan and have enjoyed Reyes' spring.

Lathund has it right. (Feel like I've typed that before!) Always with Stearns the initial roster seems to reflect a bias towards preserving depth and not making irreversible moves to lose talent, so the guys with options are at a bit of a disadvantage if they are going head to head with someone without them. This is almost regardless of spring performance (and, within limits, probably it's unwise to judge solely on spring performance anyway).

you also have to consider that for the month of april, only players on the 28-man roster at the alternate training site can be called up. that depth needs to be preserved, and it would behoove the brewers for that alternate training site roster to be comprised of guys who have already ramped up during spring training, and also be comprised of guys who are major-league ready.

This year the bubble guys without options are Black, Nottingham, Vogelbach, Robertson, Fisher, and McKinney. For each of those they have to decide whether they are willing to risk losing them, and/or whether they think they can slip them through waivers in the flurry of end-of-ST moves.

That said I see four of them as likely off the 40 before too long: Black I think is not going to make it, though I can imagine him passing through waivers. Nottingham might go DL but he's not one of our top two catchers, probably he's off the 40 when he's healthy? Vogelbach I think they like a bit but as a DH, and that ship seems to have sailed. McKinney is probably competing vs him and Fisher as a lefty bench bat but he can play several positions...but even if he's ahead of DV, is he ahead of Fisher? Is he one of your best 26? We got him on waivers and he might well clear this time. I think ZIPS or some other projection loved him though and so, who knows...

OTOH I think if healthy Fisher probably wins 5th OF over Tyrone Taylor as a virtue of Taylor's option and Fisher's LH bat...that way they keep both even if Taylor gets a bit screwed going back to AAA again. Robertson they seem to like and since they can keep him and Reyes both without risk they'll do that.

Odds are good they'll need that depth so I can't even say I hate this, much as I'm a mild T Taylor fan and have enjoyed Reyes' spring.

I just don't see CC keeping 5 OFs, especially if Reyes makes the 26-man roster. I believe Robertson is going to make it and Pina/Garcia are locks. A lot depends if CC is going to open with 9 in the pen and 4 bench players too. Urias is also a big question mark too.

Archived