Brewer Fanatic

26 Man Roster Discussion

RollieTime
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know Reyes is shiny and new to us but what exactly has he done to garner the attention?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I know Reyes is shiny and new to us but what exactly has he done to garner the attention?

He had a very solid debut in a very small-sample 58 ABs in 2018, but was pretty terrible in 2019 in amuch larger sample 143 ABs. Looks like minor league numbers are pretty similar. I don't know with 100% certainty, but I am pretty sure Arcia is a better fielding SS, but he really hasn't played enough anywhere else to say he's better there. It would stand to reason he could handle 2B or 3B, though, and they are playing him some in the OF.

I like Arcia. Fully aware he's been sub-par offensively. He's still only 26 hoping he finds a way to mimic Carlos Gomez and put things together for a couple seasons and we can flip him for some prospects. Gomez was anemic with the bat, he survived on speed and defense until he finally put a decent season together at age 26. Dream the dream a little longer.
"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

I like Arcia. Fully aware he's been sub-par offensively. He's still only 26 hoping he finds a way to mimic Carlos Gomez and put things together for a couple seasons and we can flip him for some prospects. Gomez was anemic with the bat, he survived on speed and defense until he finally put a decent season together at age 26. Dream the dream a little longer.

Agreed. There was a lot to like about Arcia offensively in 2020 too. He had the highest BA on the team last year of anyone with at least 100 PA. Only Yelich, Braun and Gyroko had higher OPS. He slugged .416, the highest of his career and better than Hiura's .410. He was also the toughest to strike out of anyone with 100 or more PA. He only had two fewer RBI than Yelich in fewer PA. He had 16 extra base hits to Hiura's 17 in 57 fewer PA.

Arcia has also shown to not being an easy out against the best pitchers in baseball. He's hit 4 postseason home runs including accounting for the only two runs scored by the Brewers in their two games against the World Series Champion Dodgers with a two run blast of their ace Walker Buehler.

I personally don't get the Arcia hate. Maybe he hasn't lived up to his prospect status, but he's been the starting SS on three straight teams that made it to the postseason. He's got immense talent and always has. He's been inconsistent as he's gotten into some bad habits from time to time, but there were signs he's getting past that in 2020. He's just two years away from FA, so I get they need to find an alternative, but he's got all the incentive he needs to perform and it's Turang, not Urias that's the SS of the future and he's 1-2 years away. Besides if they wish to move on from Arcia sooner, isn't it better to roll the dice and see if he can improve his trade value?

With 2200 possible at bats from the OF, the log jam will work itself out.

From the bit I’ve seen from García has been impressive. Wouldn’t sleep on him being a middle of the order bat if Hiura can’t figure it out. Great pitching, great defense will be the stamp on this team. Which I’ve been hoping for years. Slingin Stearns has put another nice team together.

The Arcia hate baffles me as well. Seems like everyone has penciled in Urias as the starting SS when he’s proved far less against MLB pitching than Arcia has. There’s zero chance Arcia is released. I’d guess there’s about an 80-90% chance he’s the starting SS to begin the year.

Fisher should make the roster, he has been very good in ST. Urias should be optioned to AAA.

My fielders roster

Hitters (13)

CF Bradley Jr

3B Robertson

LF Yelich

1B Hiura

RF Garcia

2B Wong

C Narvaez

SS Arcia

Pina

Cain

Fisher

Shaw

Vogelbach

The Arcia hate baffles me as well. Seems like everyone has penciled in Urias as the starting SS when he’s proved far less against MLB pitching than Arcia has. There’s zero chance Arcia is released. I’d guess there’s about an 80-90% chance he’s the starting SS to begin the year.

Orlando Arcia has 1,865 career PAs with a 73 OPS+.

Luis Urias has 422 career PAs with a 73 OPS+.

Arcia has definitely proven more than Urias to this point, though I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I doubt Arcia is cut (possibly traded), but it really seems like the club is committed to seeing what Urias can provide for upside over Arcia. I'd put the odds more at 80-90% that Urias starts at SS (or starts more than not) if both players are healthy.

In the last three seasons, of 164 qualified hitters, Arcia ranks 163 in OBP (.284), 162 in SLG (.347), last in wOBA (.272), 162 in fWAR (-0.1) and dead last in wRC+ (65). All Urias needs to do to improve our hitting from SS is not be the worst in baseball.

This year will tell you all you need to know about Arcia. Either he will continue to trend upwards and have a decent prime or he will remain a guy that’s frustrating the majority of his at bats. The flashes are there. He’s started to walk more and strikeout less. Time to put together a nice season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Arcia hits in September/ October, let's not forget that. Yea, small sample, but it's not like it was one series. He had arguably more hits in big moments than just about anyone else. Not so sure that's random.

As an original member of the Arcia bandwagon, I still have faith. But I do totally get the frustration.

This year will tell you all you need to know about Arcia. Either he will continue to trend upwards and have a decent prime or he will remain a guy that’s frustrating the majority of his at bats. The flashes are there. He’s started to walk more and strikeout less. Time to put together a nice season.

Yep, he set career bests in K-rate, ISO, exit velocity, line drive percentage, hard hit percentage, soft hit percentage, contact rate, and plate discipline. If he builds on last season at all he's probably a league average shortstop. If it was a short-season mirage, so be it, but he legitimately did improve pretty much across the board last year (except his walk rate, which is weird given he swung at far fewer pitches outside the strike zone).

I'll go:

C: Narvaez, Pina

1B: Hiura

2B: Wong

SS: Arcia, Urias

3B: Shaw, Robertson

OF: Yelich, Cain, Garcia, Bradley, Fisher

SP: Woodruff, Burnes, Anderson, Houser, Lindblom

RP: Hader, Williams, Topa, Rasmussen, Peralta, Suter, Boxberger, Perdomo

1. Final bench spot a coin flip between Vogelbach and Fisher

2. If Cain isn't ready by opening day, insert Taylor. If Urias isn't ready, insert a ninth reliever

3. Perhaps Yardley getting sent down is an overreaction to a couple poor outings, but he has options, and I get the feeling the club would like Perdomo to take that spot to add a non-Hader lefty short reliever to the mix. If Perdomo can avoid walking too many the rest of camp, I think there is a good chance he breaks with the team.

I don't get the Arcia love. He's literally the worst hitter in baseball over the last 3 years. Yeah he's a decent shortstop, probably slightly above average, but that doesn't come close to making up for his bat. I really can't believe they paid him $2,000,000. It still baffles me.

I don't get the Arcia love. He's literally the worst hitter in baseball over the last 3 years. Yeah he's a decent shortstop, probably slightly above average, but that doesn't come close to making up for his bat. I really can't believe they paid him $2,000,000. It still baffles me.

It isn’t so much love as not understanding why people want to cut bait now, just assuming last year’s improvements aren’t real. If he returns to his defensive norms, last year’s version of Arcia is a 2-3 WAR player.

Andrus is also 30ish years old or so. Arcia was YOUNG when he was brought up and he was forced into playing time he probably wasn't ready for. He is now entering his prime years in this league and the main stats you want to see improvement from him, have done that. Giving up on him now wouldn't be wise. He may stink but there is still the chance he is an average hitter in this league.

Also, there are plenty of hitters that I'm sure are worse than him. He just happened to actually qualify because he gets the at bats.

Also, there are plenty of hitters that I'm sure are worse than him. He just happened to actually qualify because he gets the at bats.

This is true, but he is still impressively bad over a large sample size. If you lower the qualifying player floor to 500 PAs, which gives you 359 players over that past 3 seasons, he then ranks 335 in OBP, 333 in SLG, 346 in wOBA, 320 in fWAR, and 347 in wRC+.

He's the most "passes the eye test" player ever. He makes flashy plays that make him seem like a better defender than he is and he's had a handful of big hits that give you hope that he can become a decent hitter as well.

Despite all that, he's obviously very talented and I actually like the guy, but it seems like we have the "he's young and this could be the year he puts it together" conversation every single year. I don't think he's worth anything in a trade, so it's probably best to still keep him on the roster for now, but it's very hard to argue that SS isn't a spot that we could improve drastically considering the production we've gotten from that spot the past several years. Maybe Arcia finally turns the corner and he's does it himself, but it seems more likely that a newcomer may have a better shot to make a big positive difference (and there's not much room for anyone to be actually worse).

Archived