Brewer Fanatic

26 Man Roster Discussion

RollieTime
  • Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Boxberger's been released & re-signed, presumably to the taxi squad. Perdomo's been optioned already. Milner & Hardy are technically "still in camp" and haven't yet been reassigned to minor league camp or the alternate training site.

Feyereisen's pitched well and picking up someone let go by another team would be a very Brewers-like move this close to OD.

Well technically Feyereisen has made the pen with the Topa injury and Black's outright... So Black's spot goes to Boxberger, Milner, Hardy or another teams cut... They needed the 40 man spot anyway since the 40 man was full with Black on there.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well technically Feyereisen has made the pen with the Topa injury and Black's outright... So Black's spot goes to Boxberger, Milner, Hardy or another teams cut... They needed the 40 man spot anyway since the 40 man was full with Black on there.

Topa and Wahl are likely to go on the 60-day IL, which opens up two spots on the 40-man roster. Heck, for that matter, Mathias and Lopes are likely to hit the 60-day IL as well. The availability of 40-man spots isn't an issue.

Topa and Wahl are likely to go on the 60-day IL, which opens up two spots on the 40-man roster. Heck, for that matter, Mathias and Lopes are likely to hit the 60-day IL as well. The availability of 40-man spots isn't an issue.

Crap, yea forgot about all those... Alright, see if you can find anyone out there better than Boxberger, otherwise I'm totally content giving Boxberger to last bullpen spot.

perdomo can only make the opening day roster if a player is placed on the injured list. otherwise, he has to meet the requisite stay of at least 10 days optioned, with the clock starting opening day. considering that the brewers have at least three players intended to be placed on the injured list, the brewers could opt to recall three optioned players for opening day, and then option them after game one as i've suggested above.

interesting comment from craig counsell about getting angel perdomo in an exhibition game in a major league stadium with 10,000+ fans: "the angel perdomo situation was just what we wanted — to put him in there against a couple good hitters and get him some experience with the crowd and everything like that."

i took this in that perdomo cracks the opening day roster, makes an appearance, and then a non-roster player comes in to take his place. maybe it's brad boxberger, maybe it's an outside acquisition.

Am I counting correctly? Unless there is a surprise with Yardley or Arcia, it seems like McKinney and the NRI relievers are competing for one spot.

with at least one player set to hit the injured list, any player on the 40-man is game to make the opening day roster, even if he's already been optioned.

out-of-options mckinney seems more likely than an arm, given that jackie bradley, jr. and lorenzo cain both ended camp without a lot of plate appearances/fielding time after injury shutdowns, given that a 40-man spot is currently open, and given that the brewers have hinted at 14 position players given the number of days off in the first weeks of the season.

According to Tom H Twitter - McKinney and Feyereisen have been told they made the 26 man roster

By my count McKinney is 14th position player and Feyereisen the 12th pitcher. 12 + 14 = 26 so that should do it for the roster.

With the off days early on I'm not surprised they went with 14 position players.

Smart roster management to go with 14 position players imo.

Agreed. After a few weeks if they need to add a 13th pitcher, it will be a lot easier to sneak a McKinney or Robertson through waivers or be able to justify optioning either Arcia or Uries if they're struggling.

I still say the guy with the most heat on him from the start of the year is Shaw. He's going to play and he's got to produce. He's got maybe 80-100 PA to solidify his spot (OPS at least in neighborhood of .700) or he'll be in danger of losing it. With Vogelbach on the roster, there's no room for Shaw as a bench guy.

Smart roster management to go with 14 position players imo.

Agreed. After a few weeks if they need to add a 13th pitcher, it will be a lot easier to sneak a McKinney or Robertson through waivers or be able to justify optioning either Arcia or Uries if they're struggling.

I still say the guy with the most heat on him from the start of the year is Shaw. He's going to play and he's got to produce. He's got maybe 80-100 PA to solidify his spot (OPS at least in neighborhood of .700) or he'll be in danger of losing it. With Vogelbach on the roster, there's no room for Shaw as a bench guy.

Then do what? Put Arcia at 3B, no thanks.

Archived