Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Battle: Backup 1B

brewerfan82

I'm sure this will also delve into some 26th man/5th OF/UT IF discussion as well, but this could start getting interesting. Vogelbach seems like the obvious choice here, but there's questions about fitting someone on the roster that can only (and can only "kind of") play one position. If Shaw makes the team and is primarily playing 3B, is he enough backup considering you wouldn't want him playing there against lefties? And if Shaw doesn't make the roster does that boot the possibility of someone like Fisher making the team as the 5th OF because you need Vogelbach then? And then there's Zach Green, who's started 1 game at 1B and has played 3 additional games at 1B off the bench so far this Spring. Is he a dark horse candidate to make the team as a 1B/3B utility guy?

2018-20 vs. RHP (MLB):

68KEvj5.png

2018-20 vs. LHP (MLB):

L5AA3Tv.png

2018-20 Fielding as 1B (MLB):

fIbZjtZ.png

2017-19 (MiLB):

dWRUAtY.png

although he's injured right now and may open the season on the major league injured list, jacob nottingham has experience at first base in both the majors and minors.

If he’s not healthy (which it doesn’t sound like he is 100% yet), it makes the decision easy to DL Nottingham

DL might buy them a bit of time, but I don't see how Nottingham fits on the roster. I doubt they'll run with 3 catchers, and I don't really think Nottingham has the bat to play 1B really. Remains to be seen if there will be a trade, or if they'll try to sneak him through waivers.

DL might buy them a bit of time, but I don't see how Nottingham fits on the roster. I doubt they'll run with 3 catchers, and I don't really think Nottingham has the bat to play 1B really. Remains to be seen if there will be a trade, or if they'll try to sneak him through waivers.

Does he even have the bat for Catcher?

I don't think Green has much of a shot to make the for opening day, but of he tears up AAA like he has previously I think he has a real shot when injuries or underperformance happen

He's certainly interesting for 3b option. I'm thinking right now the team is committed with Shaw as backup to Hiura and Arcia. 1b\3b. But at same time it's really hard figuring out the team's plans with Shaw since his date out is soon and he's barely had any gameplay. 1.5mil guaranteed and gone by March 15th would be a headscratcher if looking at it like he didn't win the battle on to the team.

Vogelbach is a wonder what the team does with him. No defensive flexibility so figuring Shaw has backup to Hiura, hes staring at PH role. Thinking he'll be released before contract is fully guaranteed at last cutoff. He's probably around now in case of a significant injury to any starter up til that cutoff.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think that the Bradley acquisition likely helps Vogelbach's chances of making the club. Bradley's ability to play all 3 OF positions means that the Brewers could theoretically get away with keeping only four true OFers (Yelich, Cain, Garcia, Bradley), and with Robertson's and Arcia's ability to play OF, it spells doom for Fisher and McKinney's chances, and probably Taylor's as well. A lot will depend on whether they decide to keep 13 or 14 pitchers at the outset of the season.

I think that the Bradley acquisition likely helps Vogelbach's chances of making the club. Bradley's ability to play all 3 OF positions means that the Brewers could theoretically get away with keeping only four true OFers (Yelich, Cain, Garcia, Bradley), and with Robertson's and Arcia's ability to play OF, it spells doom for Fisher and McKinney's chances, and probably Taylor's as well. A lot will depend on whether they decide to keep 13 or 14 pitchers at the outset of the season.

Regarding the bold, have we seen this ability yet?

4 innings in CF last year. I know, doesn't really tells us much, but I assume he's getting work in the OF if they are trying to make him more of a utility guy.

4 innings in CF last year. I know, doesn't really tells us much, but I assume he's getting work in the OF if they are trying to make him more of a utility guy.

I havent been paying much attention to box scores... Has he played any OF so far this spring?

I havent been paying much attention to box scores... Has he played any OF so far this spring?

I don't think so, but that's probably because he's been seeing all of his time at 3B with the idea of getting him up to speed there.

Got it, makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

With camp about 2/3's of the way done, here's another update:

VbOHlXT.png

YxvVfWv.png

Since the previous update:

- Hiura has gone 5 for 15 with 2 doubles, .333/.375/.467/.842

- Vogelbach has gone 4 for 11 with 2 doubles, .364/.417/.545/.962

- McKinney has gone 4 for 13 with 4 homeruns, .308/.308/1.231/1.538

I've not seen much of spring training other than some highlights, but I was kind of hoping we'd move on from Vogelbach. McKinney could have handled back 1B, and I think Taylor would have been deserving of an OF slot.

But there's plenty that can happen. I think Tyrone is going to do well this year.

I've not seen much of spring training other than some highlights, but I was kind of hoping we'd move on from Vogelbach. McKinney could have handled back 1B, and I think Taylor would have been deserving of an OF slot.

But there's plenty that can happen. I think Tyrone is going to do well this year.

With 14 hitters on the roster, that will change soon. So very possible Vogelbach or Mckinney is gone soon

Archived