Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun

Sign him to play 1b, 3b and be the hitting coach. Maybe he can fix yelich and JBJ.

So you want them to watch more first pitch fastballs down the middle of the plate and then flail at low and away sliders?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sign him to play 1b, 3b and be the hitting coach. Maybe he can fix yelich and JBJ.

So you want them to watch more first pitch fastballs down the middle of the plate and then flail at low and away sliders?

My post was slightly comical, of

Course. However, if that’s what you take away from one of the best if not the best hitters the brewers have had (especially for a career brewer) I’m not sure what to say.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Turns out, Braun was training for his home run derby he just competed in. Hit 11 dingers on 12 swings. He’s ready…
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

There was no team that Braun tormented more than the Cubs and I think he loved that. With the NL Central looking like a two team race between the Brewers and the Cubs, one has to wonder if his competitive juices are starting to kick in.

I love a good what if, but nothing points to Ryan Braun having even the slightest interest in coming back. Seems like he is pretty happy and okay never picking up a bat ever again for pro ball. Ryan Braun considered the Olympics, but opted not to because he wanted to stay with family. The Olympics for baseball start at the end of July. Seems like he is going to be staying at home all summer.

I love a good what if, but nothing points to Ryan Braun having even the slightest interest in coming back. Seems like he is pretty happy and okay never picking up a bat ever again for pro ball. Ryan Braun considered the Olympics, but opted not to because he wanted to stay with family. The Olympics for baseball start at the end of July. Seems like he is going to be staying at home all summer.

Not retiring could be viewed, in itself, “the slightest interest” he has in coming back. Also, not playing in the Olympics is another reason why he could be coming back to MLB (and maybe the Brewers) in July/August.

Furthermore, this guy loves the limelight and is kind of full of himself, right? How could he pass up coming back to the Brewers for a triumphant return and play in a pennant race in front of big crowds again? And, on top of this, he can play a part time position in an area of need.

I lean to about 75% that he comes back to Brewers.

I'm much closer to 0%, as I have been the whole time. If there was mutual interest, he would have signed by now. The more time that passes, the worse of an idea it gets. I don't see him being interested in spending a few weeks in the minors to get ready, and if he doesn't do that then the early going will be rough even in a realistic best case scenario.

Then there's the injuries. Not just from the team PoV that having a guy who is day-to-day as much as he is is kind of rough, but from his point of view as well. Playing through that constant stream of minor injuries and the ever-present pain and rehab can't be enjoyable at all. It's one thing to be paid $15m a year to do it, and aside from the money itself as a matter of pride to fulfill your obligations. But to leave comfortable retirement to go through that again, for much, much less money, with the added risk that you might not be able to hack it anymore? It would be a stretch to say he went out on top, but a 101 OPS+ is still average, and a respectable way to go out. And to be able to say you did it on your own terms (Whether it's actually true or not). Many players don't officially retire straight away, even when they have no intention of coming back. For whatever reasons they may have for it.

I'm much closer to 0%, as I have been the whole time. If there was mutual interest, he would have signed by now. The more time that passes, the worse of an idea it gets. I don't see him being interested in spending a few weeks in the minors to get ready, and if he doesn't do that then the early going will be rough even in a realistic best case scenario.

Then there's the injuries. Not just from the team PoV that having a guy who is day-to-day as much as he is is kind of rough, but from his point of view as well. Playing through that constant stream of minor injuries and the ever-present pain and rehab can't be enjoyable at all. It's one thing to be paid $15m a year to do it, and aside from the money itself as a matter of pride to fulfill your obligations. But to leave comfortable retirement to go through that again, for much, much less money, with the added risk that you might not be able to hack it anymore? It would be a stretch to say he went out on top, but a 101 OPS+ is still average, and a respectable way to go out. And to be able to say you did it on your own terms (Whether it's actually true or not). Many players don't officially retire straight away, even when they have no intention of coming back. For whatever reasons they may have for it.

I can see a ball player like Braun having no interest in returning in April or May... the extra time to do other stuff is just great....getting the itch to play again in June and July, and treasuring a pennant race come early August with some friends in front of big crowds at familiar surroundings.

Braun mentioned at one point he didn’t want some big going out retirement party, he just didn’t care for it. Someone mentioned at one point Braun thought of baseball as a job, not exactly as an enjoyment. I’m sure Braun had a personal ego to fill back when he was doing roids, but I think the fallout of that really torpedoed his baseball time from enjoyment to just going to work. I don’t think he cares about winning. I always figured once his contract he was done he would happily go into retirement to be with his family. He seems thrilled and happy as can be not playing. Not being booed and harassed everywhere he goes to play.

I don’t think he gives a rip what the Brewers are doing. Didn’t he mention the hometown Dodgers the one time he got into a conversation about the current baseball season?

I love what the guy has done in his career and what he meant to making this franchise relevant again, but even if he agreed to come back, he'd need 3-4 weeks to get ready. He's also a RH hitter and although he hit RH pitchers well enough, we need a LH bat with Shaw and Vogelbach hurt (also JBJ struggling and Yelich lacking power). He'd be a fun add to the bench, but he isn't the only move that needs to be made.

Braun probably adds 2 more runs per game. With this pitching staff, that’s all that’s needed.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I personally hope he comes back as I think he would still make this offense significantly better in almost any role. At the beginning of the season I thought there was a 90% chance he'd come back in July if they were competing, and be with the team some time in August. I think he is more done with the game than I thought.

He can come back and have a special day as a retired player, but I feel pretty certain he's checked out of the game now.

Since the end of last season Ryan Braun has picked up a bat like two times. Once to practice for an old man HR Derby and the other time was to play in it. Pretty sure any guy with a sliver of thought he might play this year would actually be practicing occasionally and staying in baseball shape. It appears that is not happening.

If we want a .281 OBP bat in our line up I think we can find one a decade younger that is already up to speed and in baseball shape.

What about an .850 OPS bat from his last actual season? Not saying it is likely but I'm not sure he's a .281 OBP bat. He's a guy you could almost always count on to at least make a pitcher work. Usually I'd be saying just let the guy go, but this offense is bad.

He's not coming back though.

Braun probably adds 2 more runs per game. With this pitching staff, that’s all that’s needed.

Lol 2 runs per game ?

It’s probably closer to 3 on a good offensive team but we don’t get many on base so he might have a lot of solo shots.

Lol 2 runs per game ?

It’s probably closer to 3 on a good offensive team but we don’t get many on base so he might have a lot of solo shots.

You forgot to put the sarcasm in blue. I assume you don’t actually think the Brewers would go from 4 runs/game (22nd in MLB) to 6 runs/game (1st in mlb) because there are literally zero players who can increase a team’s scoring by 50% by themselves

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
You forgot to put the sarcasm in blue. I assume you don’t actually think the Brewers would go from 4 runs/game (22nd in MLB) to 6 runs/game (1st in mlb) because there are literally zero players who can increase a team’s scoring by 50% by themselves

Brew4U is probably the biggest Braun guy on these boards, but even considering that, the sarcasm is pretty heavily implied in this case, IMO.

Community Moderator

If a Braun comeback was about helping the Brewers win games it would have already happened.

Not to say a brief comeback still might happen, but it won't be to plug any roster gaps.

If a Braun comeback was about helping the Brewers win games it would have already happened.

Not to say a brief comeback still might happen, but it won't be to plug any roster gaps.

Disagree on everything…

A veteran player might not want to play all six months…..I can see that. Come in August and play the stretch run and potential playoffs. Sure, why not?

The Brewers also should have interest in upgrades at 1B and 3B. Braun is an upgrade, and he shouldn’t command as much $, especially for only a couple of months. We would also have the inside track on him.

Of course we all are speculating based on stuff we read/hear on the situation, but enough info is there to have some hope this gets done.

But what info is actually out there that makes this seem likely or even possible at this point? Braun’s continued indifference toward playing and the Brewers repeatedly saying they haven’t had talks with him don’t seem to imply that this is likely anytime soon. It really just seems to be a thing fans want rather than something that may actually happen, in my opinion.

Archived