Brewer Fanatic

Ryan Braun

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Has their been anything from Braun's camp suggesting that he'd even entertain an offer to come back? At this point, everyone seems to be assuming he's waiting for later in the season. Why? At some point, don't we just have to acknowledge that the odds are that he's actually retired?

Did Braun ever actually say he was retired? I'm guessing one of two things will happen:

1) He is going to wait to join the Brewers in the second half of the season to limit wear and tear on his body and help push for another playoff run.

2) Wait until the fans are back fully (or close) and make one last appearance to do a proper last AB and goodbye. And play 3B for an inning just for Clancy...

Has their been anything from Braun's camp suggesting that he'd even entertain an offer to come back? At this point, everyone seems to be assuming he's waiting for later in the season. Why? At some point, don't we just have to acknowledge that the odds are that he's actually retired?

Did Braun ever actually say he was retired? I'm guessing one of two things will happen:

1) He is going to wait to join the Brewers in the second half of the season to limit wear and tear on his body and help push for another playoff run.

2) Wait until the fans are back fully (or close) and make one last appearance to do a proper last AB and goodbye. And play 3B for an inning just for Clancy...

McCalvy I'm guessing would know better than us, he says Braun is done. IMO he's done.

He’s done until he’s not. Anyone that leaves a window open for return has not closed the door mentally. I don’t think there’s a strong chance of return like originally I did but if the situation is right, I could still see a swan song finish.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He’s done until he’s not. Anyone that leaves a window open for return has not closed the door mentally. I don’t think there’s a strong chance of return like originally I did but if the situation is right, I could still see a swan song finish.

I remember a certain Packers QB being “done” multiple times. Guys change their minds. We shall see.

He has a family and has zero interest to come back...not even for the Olympics. The guy is done. If he ever did try to come back in 2022 I bet he would prefer to go play for one of the LA teams or not at all. Doubt he wants to come to Milwaukee and have to move his entire family or leave them during the season.

I applaud the guy for being a good spirit and putting in the effort to the end. You could tell he worked hard every year despite injuries and other hardships in his career. Braun doesn't really come off as someone who would even want to be lazy, take half the year off, and then com try to play. Time to enjoy retirement and time with his family. Hopefully he will stay involved with the team for decades to come.

I remember a certain Packers QB being “done” multiple times. Guys change their minds. We shall see.

Having Favre here all those years does always leave doubt in my mind. I remember he was on Letterman so many years ago and was asked why the retirement papers were not in and he gave a grin said he didn't sign it and I knew right then he would be back. If Braun is retired then he can let us know, until then there will be people rightfully asking when he will be back.

He's probably hoping SD or LA have some injury issues late in this season too. Heck, if those teams were smart, they'd add him to their rosters late for a bench bat if he wanted.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

Saw this little Braun nugget over at MLBTR...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/05/olympic-baseball-rumors-david-robertson-todd-frazier.html

Notably, Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times reported this week that Team USA also reached out to Ryan Braun about a possible match. Braun, who has also received interest from Team Israel, tells Shaikin that suiting back up for any team “doesn’t make sense for me,” adding that he “couldn’t imagine being happier or enjoying life more” than he is right now while spending time with his family.

Saw this little Braun nugget over at MLBTR...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/05/olympic-baseball-rumors-david-robertson-todd-frazier.html

Notably, Bill Shaikin of the L.A. Times reported this week that Team USA also reached out to Ryan Braun about a possible match. Braun, who has also received interest from Team Israel, tells Shaikin that suiting back up for any team “doesn’t make sense for me,” adding that he “couldn’t imagine being happier or enjoying life more” than he is right now while spending time with his family.

Nice to hear him say that but it's too bad he didn't get to play in front of a packed Mill...erm...American Family Field one last time before calling it quits.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Of course Favre did that in the offseason and never missed an actual game because of it.

I think there is a chance of a late season return to the Brewers:

1) A token good-bye game (I actually kind of hope they do this at a minimum).

2) A end of season bat depending our 1B/OF situation. This gets harder as it probably would require a week or so playing live games at a minor league venue...which I'm doubting he will want to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is likely he is in a Brewers uniform again.... more than just cuz.

Really, He hasn’t retired yet..... this is a BIG one. If he was truly done, he is having a press conference and a big, big show to highlight accomplishments and a brilliant career. Also, the Brewers are in 1st place. That also helps because he loves the playoffs and would really kick himself hard if he missed out on any of that. Last, they are in need of a guy that can start 3 or 4 times a week at 1B (and LF). And the bar is LOW at 1st base. He could be bad and be an upgrade there.

Expecting him after the All Star Break...

Really, why not?

Verified Member
I put it at about 5 percent that he actually comes back in the 2nd half.

I won't say zero because almost nothing is absolute but he really sounds like he's enjoying not playing baseball.

He enjoys it so much that he hasn't even retired yet! Hopefully the guy stays in shape. He definitely likes the bright lights of the playoff type atmosphere and I agree with others that it's just too early and not fun enough/too much of a grind and too long of a season to sign up now. Once late July and August rolls around I think he comes back for the playoff push. I hope...unless we pick up some other help first cuz we desperately need it and at positions where it should be pretty easy to get.

I put it at about 5 percent that he actually comes back in the 2nd half.

I won't say zero because almost nothing is absolute but he really sounds like he's enjoying not playing baseball.

He enjoys it so much that he hasn't even retired yet! Hopefully the guy stays in shape. He definitely likes the bright lights of the playoff type atmosphere and I agree with others that it's just too early and not fun enough/too much of a grind and too long of a season to sign up now. Once late July and August rolls around I think he comes back for the playoff push. I hope...unless we pick up some other help first cuz we desperately need it and at positions where it should be pretty easy to get.

Some guys just would prefer to keep things open and unofficial. Retirement has a finality to it that maybe he just isn't interested in right now. I don't think it necessarily means anything that he hasn't retired and the longer he is gone the less likely I think it is that he's just going to step right in and be an effective bat.

His wife posted a gif on Instagram of him taking BP...with the line, I still got it or something.

I don’t see that on her page.

His wife posted a gif on Instagram of him taking BP...with the line, I still got it or something.

It’s on her story. But spoiler, it wasn’t serious BP or anything. Just hitting balls with Attanasio son (they do the California Strong thing together).

It’s on her story. But spoiler, it wasn’t serious BP or anything. Just hitting balls with Attanasio son (they do the California Strong thing together).

Ah, got it. I see it now.

Archived