Brewer Fanatic

Lorenzo Cain injury thread

djoctagone

He's probably going to be, because they're paying him a good amount of money, his history shows that even as a pedestrian offensive performer he will usually hit for a little bit of power, and play good defense. Unlike last year when they dumped Brock Holt after 30 at bats, they're probably not gonna give up on JBJ after 30 games. At least I'd hope not.

They don't need to give up on him, never suggested that, but other than when Cain has a day off JBJ shouldn't be starting games in CF. So it's backing up CF/LF and then some kind of rotation/soft platoon type of thing in RF for him. It's very useful to have a player who can almost replace Cain defensively when needed, those are pretty rare. So it's not as if he's useless or anything. He's just not worthy of a full time starting spot right now.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are seeing the real Tyrone Taylor, who has more value this season, Taylor of JBJ?

Well, this ain’t the real Tyrone Taylor because I don’t think he can actually hit .323 or have an OPS near 1.000.

That being said if he is actually a legit offensive guy then he easily can/could be more valuable (totally ignoring salaries). I guess we paid $13mil for JBJ to catch baseballs and a few nights ago all he could muster is flailing into the wall. Taylor can play decent defense himself, if he can provide offense then he is a much more well rounded player.

Community Moderator
If we are seeing the real Tyrone Taylor, who has more value this season, Taylor of JBJ?

TT currently has a 165 wRC+, publicly available projections have him between 69-85 wRC+ rest of season. so he is likely overachieving by somewhere in the neighborhood of 80-95% at the moment.

JBJ currently has a 60 wRC+, publicly available projections have him between 80-86 wRC+ rest of season, so he is likely underachieving by around 20-25% at the moment.

We aren't seeing the real Tyrone Taylor (though it would be really cool if we were) & we haven't really seen the real Jackie Bradley Jr. as of yet either.

I would imagine projected rest of season value would be similar with equal playing time, though JBJ's projection would offer more certainty with a narrower band of potential outcomes, while TT's projections would come with much more upside & downside risk given he still hasn't cracked even 100 MLB PAs, so his projections are still drawing primarily from his underwhelming AA/AAA results.

• 4 weeks later...
Kudos to Lo Cain for almost making it thru the month of May uninjured.

We knew the end of Cain's contract could be bad, but my goodness.

Hopefully the Brewers would offer Cain a buyout of his contract and extend the payout over a number of years to allow Cain to gracefully retire. It's doubtful, but just a thought.

lorenzo cain has been placed on the 10-day injured list with a strained right hamstring.

I'd like to feel sorry for Cain, but during his year off, he admitted to doing nothing to stay in shape. Now the Brewers' biggest 2021 salary is going to someone who can't run without pulling a muscle.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

• 2 weeks later...

Brewers skipper Craig Counsell told reporters on Wednesday that Lorenzo Cain (hamstring) is not expected to return until July.

Counsell even hinted that July 1 could be optimistic in terms of when the veteran outfielder will be ready to go. Cain has been shelved since June 1 when he injured his hamstring while making a catch in the outfield. Cain's absence will continue to allow Jackie Bradley Jr. to see full-time at-bats in the Brewers outfield.

SOURCE: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

Jun 9, 2021, 5:29 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

lorenzo cain has been placed on the 10-day injured list with a strained right hamstring.

I'd like to feel sorry for Cain, but during his year off, he admitted to doing nothing to stay in shape. Now the Brewers' biggest 2021 salary is going to someone who can't run without pulling a muscle.

If true, I don't feel bad for him in the least. He's a professional baseball player, injury prone as it is, doing nothing to stay in shape hurts the team. He should know better.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

JBJ/Cain has to be the least bang for buck CF tandem in MLB.

It's actually quite gross.

Garrett Mitchell hitting very well for the T-Rats, but still eta is late 2023. Since they are stuck with Cain and Bradley Jr. next year no matter what, CC has to hope Yelich can do something again besides pop up or strikeout and Garcia gets better. Getting Stearns/Arnold to finally fix 1B and 3B would be nice too.

Man I wish that JBJ starts to hit

Mentioned before but JBJ has now had 5 seasons out of his 9 where he was holding below a 200BA at this calendar date. He has often pulled it up to .220 by mid July and finished a little higher 2 of the previous 4.

So he should trend towards 200 over the next 4 weeks. But not likely to find 220 by season end.

Man I wish that JBJ starts to hit

Mentioned before but JBJ has now had 5 seasons out of his 9 where he was holding below a 200BA at this calendar date. He has often pulled it up to .220 by mid July and finished a little higher 2 of the previous 4.

So he should trend towards 200 over the next 4 weeks. But not likely to find 220 by season end.

.771 OPS in June!

JBJ/Cain has to be the least bang for buck CF tandem in MLB.

Brewers CF are currently 13th in WAR...

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=6&season=2021&month=41&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-01-01&enddate=2021-12-31

Comparing that to Spotrac's positional spending chart, where Brewers CF come in 3rd....

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/positional/center-field/full-payroll/

And it looks like the Blue Jays at 24.2 million for 0.4 WAR & Yankees at 10.8 million for 0.3 WAR have been less efficient than the Brewers 23 million for 1.0 WAR to this point.

I'm really starting to worry that we're all going to owe Hopper a huge apology for stating that Cain would be lucky to play in half our games this year back in March....

Lorenzo's already at 31 games & essentially half a win (0.6 fWAR/0.4 bWAR). Even if he comes back after the All Star Break there will still be 70 games on the schedule as of now. I think that should be enough time for him to crack 81 games & maybe even approach 1.5 WAR.

Sure, it isn't the most efficient use of 17 million, but we knew back in January of 2018 what we are currently experiencing was a very real possibility.

For big picture people, Cain has already provided somewhere around 8 (FanGraphs) or 10 (BRef) WAR so far on what amounts to a 4/64 contract after opting out of 2020 with another year plus still to go.

For those more interested in the now, despite Cain missing time with injuries he has been somewhat productive when on the field & still has an opportunity to inject some old man energy down the stretch run.

In the meantime JBJ can have more time to straighten it out &/or it opens up more opportunities for TT so we should hopefully have enough depth to cover things.