Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Battle: RP

brewerfan82
Yeah it is spring training........hard to see that a sign of a participation trophy society when who wins the game is of literally no importance and the purpose of said games is to get players ready for the real season.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess Black’s velo went from 98 to the first guy he faced to 90-92 fourth guy he faced.

Just DFA him already... Give Boxberger his spot.

I thought because he was out of options, the Brewers would give Black every opportunity to earn a spot given his potential. However, he has pretty much exclusively been pitching after the other team has replaced all of its starters. Seems as if he is decidedly on the outside looking in.

Not totally related, but Corey Knebel allowed three hits and one run versus the Reds tonight before the Dodgers decide to roll the inning with two outs and runners at the corners.

Also totally unrelated. Jimmy Nelson has actually pitched for the Dodgers this spring

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't know if he has options left but I think Wahl is a good bet to make the team.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Not totally related, but Corey Knebel allowed three hits and one run versus the Reds tonight before the Dodgers decide to roll the inning with two outs and runners at the corners.

Also totally unrelated. Jimmy Nelson has actually pitched for the Dodgers this spring

I think it's pitching ninja? On twitter. When they showed Ashby's 3pitch. Scrolling on their page I seen one of Nelson with a full-on 12-6 curveball for a caught looking. Hope he can play productive for a few more years healthy. Even if it's for LA.

Not the pitching ninja but another post of pitch I was talking about.

Yeah I think Wahl will earn alot of frequent flyer miles from Nashville to Milwaukee and back. Milwaukee loves to use pitchers with an option to there advantage, which has usual worked well for the Brewers. Basically gives them a extra man on the roster.

I hope Jimmy pitches really well, but gets deGrom'd.

Please explain...

Sounds like he's wishing Jimmy great personal success but hopes the Dodgers suck and lose every game he starts.

Indeed. deGrom has a 25-19 record over the last three years. With averaging 6.5 innings per start with a 2.10 ERA. So pitching really well but getting no run support = a deGrom. I like Jimmy and want him to have success. I don't like the Dodgers. I mostly don't want them to beat the Brewers though, I'm good if Jimmy and the Dodgers stomp the Cubs...

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
If Topa makes the team and people don't do a slow clap "TOPA" cheer similar to the Toga scene in Animal House I am going to be severely disappointed.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

On a tough day for pitchers, #Brewers Craig Counsell was very pleased with how J.P. Feyereisen threw the ball -- again: "J.P. has been throwing the ball well all spring. He's in a good place." Thus far, three hitless innings with five Ks.

Strictly from a fantasy baseball perspective, 2021 is going to be an interesting season, and stacking team pitching staffs may be worthwhile.

Why am I bringing this up? With the news that Rasmussen is being groomed as the RH version of Suter, Peralta being stretched out as a starter, and Woodruff, Burnes, and Anderson not known for going deep into games, I think you are going to see a lot of piggybacking of SP in 2021 and not just with the Brewers. I have to imagine the pairings will look something like this:

-Suter/Lauer paired with Burnes/Woodruff

-Rasmussen paired with Anderson

-Peralta paired with Lindblom

-Bullpen paired with Houser

The bullpen pieces are matched with the starters that offer different handedness, speed of pitches and repertoire. I think this is the plan for "stretching out" Peralta and Rasmussen. I wouldn't look at it solely as they are being groomed as starters, but rather "bullpen starters" (Suter, Lauer, Peralta, and Rasmussen) are all being looked at as throwing 3-4 innings every 5th day. I am guessing this is how the Brewers are hoping to get through 162 games after only having 60 last season.

It is that time of year for piggybacking to be discussed. It is just not realistic long term through a season. Too many variables.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It is that time of year for piggybacking to be discussed. It is just not realistic long term through a season. Too many variables.

Totally understood but 2021 is going to be a season unlike any other. Going from 60 ~9 inning games (540 innings) in 2020 to 162 ~9 inning games (1,458 innings) in 2021, will likely require planning at this type of level. All best-laid plans go to waste, but the piggybacking of pitchers in this year is going to be appropriate more than any other.

I think it is a plan for those that want to have control and think that their staff can just pitch against anyone. I have no doubt we will see Counsell being creative, mixing and matching like he normally does. Whatever he has in his gut and whatever analytics they use has been pretty awesome of the past few seasons. They have a lot of talented arms to use and it should be a fun summer to see them all being active.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived