Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Battle: RP

brewerfan82

Hader and Williams are locks. Suter and Peralta are as well, assuming they're not in the rotation (in which case Lindblom/Houser probably fall into the pen). I'd love to see Rasmussen take the next step this year. The rest will probably be sorted out during the Spring.

2018-20 as RP (MLB):

1XaMbV5.png

2017-19 (MiLB):

FHrLIuk.png

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I think most of the 'pen is fairly set. Williams, Hader obviously. Topa and Rasmussen seem very likely to me. Then there's the 3 who miss out on the rotation; Suter, Peralta, Houser, Lauer, Lindblom in order of likelyhood of getting into the pen IMO. I think Black and Boxberger have a good chance by virtue of not being optionable, while Perdomo, Wahl, Feyereisen and Bickford have options remaining. I think they'll keep Bettinger stretched out in AAA.

Is Rasmussen going to be a RP to start the season? The guy was a SP for the Brewers prior to 2020's no minors callup for RP. I'd think he'd return in the minors for much of the season. Maybe work towards towards 100IP.

Topa seems groomed to be a RP and his age he's likely a shoe-in before Rasmussen.

Yardley also groomed RP. And older, likely ahead.

Let's not forget on Feyereisen. Just on pecking order these three fit starting the season over Rasmussen who's young and SP material.

Atm, BRef doesn't show Boxberger on the 40man. So he has to win the job and Milw removes somebody from 40man. Or is insurance to an injury during ST to trot out there.

Perdomo should have options and likely falls in behind the first 3 mentioned. Probably going to be part of the shuttle crew.

Agreed that of 4 obvious SPs after Woodruff, Burnes, Anderson, the two that don't complete the Rotation end up in the bullpen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Is Rasmussen going to be a RP to start the season? The guy was a SP for the Brewers prior to 2020's no minors callup for RP. I'd think he'd return in the minors for much of the season. Maybe work towards towards 100IP.

Topa seems groomed to be a RP and his age he's likely a shoe-in before Rasmussen.

Yardley also groomed RP. And older, likely ahead.

Let's not forget on Feyereisen. Just on pecking order these three fit starting the season over Rasmussen who's young and SP material.

Atm, BRef doesn't show Boxberger on the 40man. So he has to win the job and Milw removes somebody from 40man. Or is insurance to an injury during ST to trot out there.

Perdomo should have options and likely falls in behind the first 3 mentioned. Probably going to be part of the shuttle crew.

Agreed that of 4 obvious SPs after Woodruff, Burnes, Anderson, the two that don't complete the Rotation end up in the bullpen.

Remember Rasmussen has had 3 TJ surgeries. I personally think his days as a starting pitcher expected to go 5+ innings a start are done.

Rasmussen was more “starter” than starter in the minors. He went more than three innings four times and never more than 4 1/3. It felt like he was starting because it was easier to control his workload post-surgery starting than the up-and-down nature of bullpen work.

It seems like, once you get past Hader, Williams, Suter and Peralta/Houser that the last four spots should come down to, unless I am forgetting someone, Rasmussen, Topa, Yardley, Black and Boxberger.

Given the oddities of this year, though, I could see them wanting another long reliever, either Lauer or possibly Brown.

It feels as if they are going to want more of a conventional short-inning lefty at some point, but I don't know that I see that happening right away. Perdomo, Hardy, Andrews and QTC are all options, but if none of them take hold of the job by late August, I wonder if Ashby gets the Corbin Burnes treatment and spends a month in the big league bullpen before moving back to being a starter next season.

It seems like, once you get past Hader, Williams, Suter and Peralta/Houser that the last four spots should come down to, unless I am forgetting someone, Rasmussen, Topa, Yardley, Black and Boxberger.

Given the oddities of this year, though, I could see them wanting another long reliever, either Lauer or possibly Brown.

It feels as if they are going to want more of a conventional short-inning lefty at some point, but I don't know that I see that happening right away. Perdomo, Hardy, Andrews and QTC are all options, but if none of them take hold of the job by late August, I wonder if Ashby gets the Corbin Burnes treatment and spends a month in the big league bullpen before moving back to being a starter next season.

...I wonder if Ashby gets the Corbin Burnes treatment and spends a month in the big league bullpen before moving back to being a starter next season.

I've thought this is a great way to break in a SP in the MLB for sometime. It doesn't work for everyone, but when you have a starter that (currently) isn't clearly better than any of your 5 starters and has nothing to gain at AAA, it is a good way to get him used to the majors without having him jump into the deep end.

...I wonder if Ashby gets the Corbin Burnes treatment and spends a month in the big league bullpen before moving back to being a starter next season.

I've thought this is a great way to break in a SP in the MLB for sometime. It doesn't work for everyone, but when you have a starter that (currently) isn't clearly better than any of your 5 starters and has nothing to gain at AAA, it is a good way to get him used to the majors without having him jump into the deep end.

Community Moderator

Also put this in the Spring Training In-Game thread where it was discussed following Rasmussen’s two inning appearance.

Via Will Sammon:

Craig Counsell said Drew Rasmussen will get stretched out to perform a role like Brent Suter.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

Also put this in the Spring Training In-Game thread where it was discussed following Rasmussen’s two inning appearance.

Via Will Sammon:

Craig Counsell said Drew Rasmussen will get stretched out to perform a role like Brent Suter.

Community Moderator
Not totally related, but Corey Knebel allowed three hits and one run versus the Reds tonight before the Dodgers decide to roll the inning with two outs and runners at the corners.

Community Moderator
Not totally related, but Corey Knebel allowed three hits and one run versus the Reds tonight before the Dodgers decide to roll the inning with two outs and runners at the corners.

I hope Knebel gets cut and comes back to Milwaukee. I hated that trade but understood they couldn’t risk the $5m contract he received from the Dodgers.

I hope Knebel gets cut and comes back to Milwaukee. I hated that trade but understood they couldn’t risk the $5m contract he received from the Dodgers.

This year especially multiply innings arms are going to be a top priority. With the short season last year starters innings will be limited this year more then any other .Milwaukee may have a advantage having managed this way for most of the Counsel years. I really like our pen and pitching as a whole. On a different note not a fan of this roll the inning thing . I get it its spring traning but it seems like another step to the participating trophy society in sports.

This year especially multiply innings arms are going to be a top priority. With the short season last year starters innings will be limited this year more then any other .Milwaukee may have a advantage having managed this way for most of the Counsel years. I really like our pen and pitching as a whole. On a different note not a fan of this roll the inning thing . I get it its spring traning but it seems like another step to the participating trophy society in sports.

I mean, they are doing it to protect against injury. I have no issue with that especially after the shortened season.

Archived