Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Battle: SP

brewerfan82
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
File is out for the year and maybe part of 2022.

I don't think they is correct. The reports said he should be back mid-season. Unless I missed something somewhere.

4 months is what I read.

Yeah, somewhere around mid-June to early July. He had the surgery at the beginning of February.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
File is out for the year and maybe part of 2022.

I don't think they is correct. The reports said he should be back mid-season. Unless I missed something somewhere.

4 months is what I read.

Yeah, somewhere around mid-June to early July. He had the surgery at the beginning of February.

Was interesting that Rasmussen was first Brewer to go 2 innings. Could he be in the mix to start? He was primarily a starter in college and Brewers used him in the starter role albeit for 3-4 innings in his one minor league season.

Was interesting that Rasmussen was first Brewer to go 2 innings. Could he be in the mix to start? He was primarily a starter in college and Brewers used him in the starter role albeit for 3-4 innings in his one minor league season.

Community Moderator

Mentioned this in the relief pitcher Spring Training thread and the Spring Training in-game thread, but Counsell said they are stretching him out to use in a Brent Suter like role. The thought on Rasmussen has always been that his chances of being a starter are low because he's already had two Tommy John surgeries.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Community Moderator

Mentioned this in the relief pitcher Spring Training thread and the Spring Training in-game thread, but Counsell said they are stretching him out to use in a Brent Suter like role. The thought on Rasmussen has always been that his chances of being a starter are low because he's already had two Tommy John surgeries.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• 2 weeks later...
I drafted both Woodruff and Burnes in my fantasy draft last night, so if they both require TJ at some point this year we'll know why. I almost didn't take either just to avoid my personal jinx. Took Woodruff in the 3rd and Burnes fell all they way to the 7th round. Only two Brewers I drafted, so I'm not a total homer.

Man I really hope Freddy breaks north in the rotation... Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta... My god, good luck facing those 3.

Although I think I would line it up: Woodruff, Burnes, Lindblom, Peralta, Anderson

Houser to pen.

Man I really hope Freddy breaks north in the rotation... Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta... My god, good luck facing those 3.

Although I think I would line it up: Woodruff, Burnes, Lindblom, Peralta, Anderson

Houser to pen.

I personally go Houser over Lindblom. More potential there. Houser does have a nice power arm that would thrive in pen but still think he can be a solid starter.

Proud member since 2003 (geez ha I was 14 then)

FORMERLY BrewCrewWS2008 and YoungGeezy don't even remember other names used

What decisions? Put Houser in the pen where he belongs!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

What decisions? Put Houser in the pen where he belongs!

Houser was no slouch in the 2019 rotation, though. Suter did well in 2017 and 2020. Yet you'd haave one - or -both ticket for the pen.

Scroll to the starting vs relieving area of the page.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Peralta has earned a spot, Houser has not. Reward those who do, and do not reward those who don't.

Why are they so stubborn with Houser. His best days with the Brewershave been in relief, at some point, they have to see him for what he is, right?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

At some point, the Brewers just have to accept that their evaluation of Houser was wrong. No big deal, it happens to every team. What is a big deal is compounding the problem by trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

I don't know why Houser can't pitch effectively as a starter. What I do know is that he's 28, this is a results oriented business and he has had a ton of success as a reliever and has been terrible starting. But this is not some 22 year old kid who just needs some time to develop. Houser probably is what he is. Put him where he has had success.

Agreed, Peralta needs to be in the rotation... So exciting thinking about Woody, Burnes, Peralta in our rotation.

Houser takes Freddy’s multi-inning role in the pen... I really believe Houser would do well in that role.

Houser must be the epitome towards getting Wong. For all the damage done today, not a single fly ball by Colorado. All ground ball hits aside from line drive to first batter.

Its was close to every runner that got on base scored. The wild pitches are his responsibility and help see 2 runs score later. He induces soft contact and grounders which should lead to success. Colorado was 9 for 17 on batted balls in play vs Houser. 530BA. 2 were liners. 15 ground balls.

Fastball Freddy gives up more fly balls consistently but ks at a high rate.

I agree that he should be sent in to bullpen. But it's understandable why they want to see him succeed as a Starter. He's near the top on statcast on opposing hitters' exit velocity. If some of these ground balls went for double plays vs through the hole, seeing eye hits....saves a lot of what went wrong today as well as 2 outs on 1 swing of bat equals better ability to go 6+ innings. Believe I heard 95 high velocity, one of these seasons he'll drop one of his 5 pitches and take off.

Archived