Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Battle: SP

brewerfan82

Woodruff and Burnes are locks. Anderson, Lindblom, and probably Houser have a leg up on the rest, but Peralta should get a good look and Lauer's in the conversation too. Zimmermann's a huge dark horse/lottery ticket. Suter may be an option too, but I think he's settled into that multiple inning/swing man type role too well to move him.

2018-20 as SP (MLB):

f0xR1WE.png

2017-19 (MiLB):

Xw3sEbi.png

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Lindblom will ever be worth a damn.

I wouldn't mind cutting our losses with this guy, or at the very least, keeping hi out of the rotation.

Really hoping Freddy takes his spot outright!

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Yeah to me Lindblom looked fine after the initial adjustment period. The metrics agree with the eye test on that too. Can look at the basic stuff like FIP (3.88) or at statcast metrics where he was solidly above average in almost every category, good at limiting both hard contact and at inducing whiffs. I expect him to be a solid #4-5 type who costs almost nothing and seems like a great clubhouse guy. In a season where SP depth is going to be more important than ever, there's absolutely no reason to "cut our losses" at this stage.

Yeah to me Lindblom looked fine after the initial adjustment period. The metrics agree with the eye test on that too. Can look at the basic stuff like FIP (3.88) or at statcast metrics where he was solidly above average in almost every category, good at limiting both hard contact and at inducing whiffs. I expect him to be a solid #4-5 type who costs almost nothing and seems like a great clubhouse guy. In a season where SP depth is going to be more important than ever, there's absolutely no reason to "cut our losses" at this stage.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder if Hauser's spot might be more up for grabs than Lindblom? They kind of had opposite seasons last year with Hauser looking good initially and his results continued to erode. But either Hauser or Lindblom can pitch in the BP too, so I hope they do go with the best pitcher for the starter. Freddie has the most upside, so lets see if he can make it happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wonder if Hauser's spot might be more up for grabs than Lindblom? They kind of had opposite seasons last year with Hauser looking good initially and his results continued to erode. But either Hauser or Lindblom can pitch in the BP too, so I hope they do go with the best pitcher for the starter. Freddie has the most upside, so lets see if he can make it happen.

My thinking is that Woodruff, Burnes, and Houser are the top three.

Peralta and Suter lead the rest.

Not just looking at these vets... Dylan File and Alec Bettinger are charging up. I think one, if not both, could take a rotation spot THIS YEAR.

Not just looking at these vets... Dylan File and Alec Bettinger are charging up. I think one, if not both, could take a rotation spot THIS YEAR.

Listing guys as 1,2,3,4 or 5 is pointless. Looking at the start of the season I'd like to line up our rotation so that Burnes is the "4" and Anderson is the "5" so when we go against the Cubs we have Burnes, Anderson, & Woodruff going against then. I want Anderson purely because he's a lefty and the Cubs are lefty dominant in their lineup.

Listing guys as 1,2,3,4 or 5 is pointless. Looking at the start of the season I'd like to line up our rotation so that Burnes is the "4" and Anderson is the "5" so when we go against the Cubs we have Burnes, Anderson, & Woodruff going against then. I want Anderson purely because he's a lefty and the Cubs are lefty dominant in their lineup.

It was just reported that File had surgery and will miss a good chunk of 2021. You can likely cross him off the list. See below.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2021/02/28/brewers-pitching-prospect-dylan-file-recovering-elbow-surgery/6859682002/

It was just reported that File had surgery and will miss a good chunk of 2021. You can likely cross him off the list. See below.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2021/02/28/brewers-pitching-prospect-dylan-file-recovering-elbow-surgery/6859682002/

IMO they signed Anderson to be the #3 with Houser and ? Lauer I think will get a good look along with Lindbloom and Peralta. I can't see Bettinger anywhere but AAA, at least to start. He did poorly in A+ (6.91 ERA - .315 avg. against - 1.59 WHIP), but dominated at AA. If he continues to dominate, maybe he's called up if several people struggle. File is out for the year and maybe part of 2022. I don't see Suter starting unless all the others fail. He's too good out of the pen.

IMO they signed Anderson to be the #3 with Houser and ? Lauer I think will get a good look along with Lindbloom and Peralta. I can't see Bettinger anywhere but AAA, at least to start. He did poorly in A+ (6.91 ERA - .315 avg. against - 1.59 WHIP), but dominated at AA. If he continues to dominate, maybe he's called up if several people struggle. File is out for the year and maybe part of 2022. I don't see Suter starting unless all the others fail. He's too good out of the pen.

File is out for the year and maybe part of 2022.

I don't think they is correct. The reports said he should be back mid-season. Unless I missed something somewhere.

4 months is what I read.

File is out for the year and maybe part of 2022.

I don't think they is correct. The reports said he should be back mid-season. Unless I missed something somewhere.

4 months is what I read.

Archived