Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Battle: OF

brewerfan82

Yeah it's hard to see how they could keep Vogelbach and Fisher both. I really am curious to see where Fisher ends up, because while I'm sure they didn't give up a lot for Fisher, they still did trade for him. And they would surely have been in on JBJ at that time as well. They probably didn't trade for him intending to DFA him, so there has to be some kind of plan. With 4 established OFs already who will be getting a lot of playing time, a 5th OF-only player seems like poor use of a roster spot.

Besides Fisher, there's also Nottingham, McKinney, Black who are on the 40-man and out of options (Piña too, but I think he's safe). We'll have to see if there will be some minor trades, or a DFA wave at the end of camp. And who ultimately makes it.

Yeah it's hard to see how they could keep Vogelbach and Fisher both. I really am curious to see where Fisher ends up, because while I'm sure they didn't give up a lot for Fisher, they still did trade for him. And they would surely have been in on JBJ at that time as well. They probably didn't trade for him intending to DFA him, so there has to be some kind of plan. With 4 established OFs already who will be getting a lot of playing time, a 5th OF-only player seems like poor use of a roster spot.

Besides Fisher, there's also Nottingham, McKinney, Black who are on the 40-man and out of options (Piña too, but I think he's safe). We'll have to see if there will be some minor trades, or a DFA wave at the end of camp. And who ultimately makes it.

I wonder if Stearns would be willing to start with 12 pitchers and a very active shuttle for the bullpen. Didn't he do something similar with Jiman Choi and even Aguilar? This would allow for Fisher and Vogelbach, while they sort things out.

Also: Travis Shaw deadline is in nine days. I'm surprised he only has 5 AB so far; figured they'd really want to see what he has left. Or maybe they've already decided just to roll with Travis for at least the first few weeks of the season.

I wonder if Stearns would be willing to start with 12 pitchers and a very active shuttle for the bullpen. Didn't he do something similar with Jiman [sic] Choi and even Aguilar? This would allow for Fisher and Vogelbach, while they sort things out.

they optioned ji-man choi after opening day because they had a replacement that wasn't on their 40-man roster in outside acquisition dan jennings.

a player sent out on optional assignment during spring training must spend the requisite 10 days in the minor leagues, with the clock starting on opening day, not when he was optioned in spring training.

thus, the only way the brewers could activate players the first nine days of the season (excluding injury list placement) would be they were either acquired from outside of the organization, or if they were on a minor league contract at the time. but, if you're on the brewers' 40-man roster and optioned before opening day, you can't be recalled until the 10th day of the season.

non-roster invitees with more than six years service time who finished the previous season on a club's major league roster or major league injured list must be paid a $100,000 retention bonus if they aren't on the opening day roster. not sure if there's a way around that, if the brewers, for example, told jordan zimmermann that they planned to open with mark mathias on the roster, but then option him within a day or two, and purchase zimmermann's contract. zimmermann would be entitled to that $100,000 retention bonus, i would imagine.

Garrett Mitchell has done all he can to put Milwaukee on notice that he’s ready to go. As Braun exits, maybe we have our next home grown stud ready to jump in.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

McKinny's brought some big power lately. Leading the team in spring training HRs. But the OBP and average tools haven't been there. An interesting choice, though, given what American Family Field/Miller Park has done for left-handed hitters.

Ray, though, brought some interesting walk numbers. He's drawn the most among Brewers OFs, and trails only Reyes, Robertson, and Shaw. He may break back out again after a rough 2019 and a cancelled 2020. Ray's recently struck me as a left-handed version of Keon Broxton.

brewers confirm that derek fisher (hamstring) will open the season on the injured list.

billy mckinney has not been assured a spot on the 26-man roster yet.

If, as reported, CC said Vogelbach is on the team, IMO McKinney is out. I don't know what his future holds because I gotta believe Taylor is the 1st OF recalled if he doesn't make the 26-man roster.

Archived