Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Battle: 3B (and SS and UT)

brewerfan82

Third base is going to be a fun battle to watch this Spring Training! So I thought a dedicated thread would make some sense. Also with the news that Arcia will be getting work at 3rd (and CF) and Urias will be getting a lot of time at SS, I suspect this thread will delve into the SS and utility infielder battles quite a bit as well.

With that said, I gathered some preliminary stats together to reference as these guys get going today.

2018-20 vs. RHP (MLB):

lSMmPKK.png

2018-20 vs. LHP (MLB):

xmohcax.png

2018-20 Fielding at 3B (MLB):

Fx694zB.png

2017-19 (MiLB):

nNnIX9l.png

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the brewers don't have much time to evaluate travis shaw--especially with six-inning games slated for the start. shaw's opt-out is 15 march.

and if you figure that the brewers will want to give keston hiura and daniel vogelbach as many reps at first as possible, it's not like the brewers can afford to sneak some time in at first for shaw.

the brewers don't have much time to evaluate travis shaw--especially with six-inning games slated for the start. shaw's opt-out is 15 march.

and if you figure that the brewers will want to give keston hiura and daniel vogelbach as many reps at first as possible, it's not like the brewers can afford to sneak some time in at first for shaw.

I doubt that Shaw needs any evaluation defensively.

Yeah Shaw is a good defender at both 3B and 1B.

I think that unless Shaw looks terrible in ST, he'll be the primary 3B. I expect Urias will win the SS job and probably play the occasional 2B against lefties too. Robertson/Arcia will do some platooning at 3B, but will also together be the 5th OF when Brewers run only 4 "proper" OFs. This to be able to keep Vogelbach if he looks decent, and/or fit another pitcher onto the roster.

I think that unless Shaw looks terrible in ST, he'll be the primary 3B. I expect Urias will win the SS job and probably play the occasional 2B against lefties too. Robertson/Arcia will do some platooning at 3B, but will also together be the 5th OF when Brewers run only 4 "proper" OFs. This to be able to keep Vogelbach if he looks decent, and/or fit another pitcher onto the roster.

I pretty much agree.

Shaw/Robertson platoon at third base. Urias starting at SS. Arcia the Utility guy, who can now also play some outfield if needed. I think Vogelbach will probably be gone, and they'll keep someone like McKinney because he's a lefty with more versatility (corner OF/1B).

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I pretty much agree.

Shaw/Robertson platoon at third base. Urias starting at SS. Arcia the Utility guy, who can now also play some outfield if needed. I think Vogelbach will probably be gone, and they'll keep someone like McKinney because he's a lefty with more versatility (corner OF/1B).

I don't know what to think as of yet when it comes to Robertson, Arcia, and Vogelbach. I think Shaw will be the 3B and likely will start 75% of the time, same with Urias at SS. The issue I keep coming back to is who is the backup 2B to Wong (Hiura? Robertson?) and at 1B (Shaw with Robertson/Arcia starting at 3B?). I don't expect to see Arcia play much of anywhere other than SS (just my hunch) so that leaves Roberston as the backup at 3B and 2B.

Assuming an everyday lineup of Yelich-Cain-Garcia-Shaw-Urias-Wong-Hiura-Narvaez, that leaves Arcia, Robertson, Pina, one or two of Taylor-Fisher-McKinney, as the bench. I have a hard time envisioning a spot for Vogelbach on this roster right now unless they want a Matt Stairs-like power bat PH.

I'm thinking Robertson is your lockdown Utility. Shaw makes 3b/1b. Hiura is just 1b. Hiura goes down Shaw fills in. Robertson to 3b with Arcia. Wong goes down Robertson fills in but maybe Urias with Arcia at SS. I don't see Vogelbach making the team w/o a NL DH. He's basically around currently insurance to a big injury to Hiura or Wong.

The issue I keep coming back to is who is the backup 2B to Wong (Hiura? Robertson?) and at 1B (Shaw with Robertson/Arcia starting at 3B?).

My guess if Wong gets injured is that Urias would move to second with Arcia at SS. Urias came up as a second baseman, so he'd probably be the long-term solution. Otherwise, I'd think that Robertson or Arcia should be able to fill in there for a day here-and-there.

If Pablo Reyes makes the team, has also played all over the field. His defensive numbers anywhere but corner OF don't look all that great, but he could probably fill in here-and-there as a utility guy.

I think McKinney's best shot at making the team is due to his versatility. He's a LH bat that can play corner OF & first base, so he could be the LH backup first baseman, making Vogelbach unnecessary. Shaw being able to play 1B helps out as well. We all know that Stearns likes versatility on the bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The issue I keep coming back to is who is the backup 2B to Wong (Hiura? Robertson?) and at 1B (Shaw with Robertson/Arcia starting at 3B?).

My guess if Wong gets injured is that Urias would move to second with Arcia at SS. Urias came up as a second baseman, so he'd probably be the long-term solution. Otherwise, I'd think that Robertson or Arcia should be able to fill in there for a day here-and-there.

I had not thought of this. You are 100% right. Urias still might be the long-term 2B if Wong leaves after his contract is up after 2022 or 2023 (if the team option is exercised). Even if it is after 2023, Urias will still only be heading into his age 27(!) season in 2024. That kid is young.

I had not thought of this. You are 100% right. Urias still might be the long-term 2B if Wong leaves after his contract is up after 2022 or 2023 (if the team option is exercised). Even if it is after 2023, Urias will still only be heading into his age 27(!) season in 2024. That kid is young.

They're going to give Urias every opportunity to take and keep the SS job. I believe even if Wong gets hurt, they'll stick with Urias and SS and put Arcia/Robertson there.

They're going to give Urias every opportunity to take and keep the SS job. I believe even if Wong gets hurt, they'll stick with Urias and SS and put Arcia/Robertson there.

Arcia as everyday 3B... You gotta be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if I'd read much into anything that a manager says concerning positional battles on March 2.

Yeah, it's too early in spring for anything conclusive, but it looks to me like they're grooming Arcia to be a super-utility guy who can play almost every position on the field. He's a naturally good defender, so I'd guess that with a little practice he'll be able to play anywhere on the field.

~Bill Walsh

Arcia as everyday 3B... You gotta be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if I'd read much into anything that a manager says concerning positional battles on March 2.

Yeah, it's too early in spring for anything conclusive, but it looks to me like they're grooming Arcia to be a super-utility guy who can play almost every position on the field. He's a naturally good defender, so I'd guess that with a little practice he'll be able to play anywhere on the field.

~Bill Walsh

But his bat just doesn't play.

Hoping last year was the real Arcia offensively, but I've seen his act before.

Plenty!

If we have to settle for him pinch hitting late in games, that will not be ideal.

If he is a defensive replacement late in games, and somehow gets meaningful at bats, also not ideal.

But his bat just doesn't play.

Hoping last year was the real Arcia offensively, but I've seen his act before.

Plenty!

If we have to settle for him pinch hitting late in games, that will not be ideal.

If he is a defensive replacement late in games, and somehow gets meaningful at bats, also not ideal.

Lets hope Arcia continues his trend on bat improvements aside from his 2019. Ezit velocity and launch angle maybe its time for his breakout. Higher EV and launch means more line drives and less grounders to SS/3b. Maybe even crank a few more HRs on a tiny improvement with both. But it'd be telling if after 60days the numbers regressed to part ways. They must be seeing something to want to continue starting him.

What's weird is Shaw would be the better platoon side for 3b.

Archived