Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Games - 2021

Eye Black
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate the rolling inning thing. Wins and losses don’t mean much, but it matters that young guys get an opportunity to come up with a clutch hit. Or to get the lead in an inning like this and be able to evaluate a pitcher late in the game pitching with a one run lead.

Letting a starter come back in is fine with me if you don’t want him to go above 25 pitches in an inning and you’re trying to stretch him out. Rolling an inning can go away.

Shaw talking with Sophia right now about how he’s making adjustments with his set up because of something they found on Saturday to change. Not a good look for a guy coming off of two poor years and fighting for his career basically.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Shaw talking with Sophia right now about how he’s making adjustments with his set up because of something they found on Saturday to change. Not a good look for a guy coming off of two poor years and fighting for his career basically.

How is making adjustments in Spring Training a bad look? I would think this would be the time to be doing that.

How is making adjustments in Spring Training a bad look? I would think this would be the time to be doing that.

Exactly right.......glad to see Haines picking up on some things early in camp.

With the impending decision on him only 6 days away and coming off of a rough couple years, it’s just not a reassuring thing in my eyes for him to be working on something because he’s not right.

But I can certainly see why it would be a positive too in that they are working on it now before the games really matter. I would hope he worked on himself in the offseason to figure himself out and come into camp ready to roll. Which I’m sure he thought he did, but something just wasn’t right. It’s more of a small red flag at this stage and something to watch with the roster decision coming up.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

With the impending decision on him only 6 days away and coming off of a rough couple years, it’s just not a reassuring thing in my eyes for him to be working on something because he’s not right.

But I can certainly see why it would be a positive too in that they are working on it now before the games really matter. I would hope he worked on himself in the offseason to figure himself out and come into camp ready to roll. Which I’m sure he thought he did, but something just wasn’t right. It’s more of a small red flag at this stage and something to watch with the roster decision coming up.

Counterpoint: They've possibly/likely already let him know that he's making the team, so he has the flexibility to make changes in his approach now. When they signed him, I personally figured it was a foregone conclusion that he'd make the team, barring some sort of terrible showing indicating that he's cooked. But he's played well on defense, and has put some nice ABs together.

Garrett Mitchell looking every bit the part of a top prospect in his first spring training.

Nice swing and the ball jumps off his bat.

Can he play 3rd?

Start him in AA already how exciting is he?

As to Burnes, I see Milw opening day on 1st with the next day off. Woodruff you would assume who started yesterday as Opening Day starter. Maybe Anderson is considered the #2 since he won't have innings limitations? Burnes following day line him up for game 3? Houser/Lauer today maybe the battle for #5 one Lauer inexplicably is losing. How can a nice start to his career turn so rapidly like he doesn't belong on a ML field even as a bullpen pitcher?

Bob Uecker is pretty amazing. There have been some times he looks like he is slipping, but today he seemed sharp as ever. Still quick on the one-liners and come-backs. I think Jeff Levering was there with him today and it felt like he couldn't keep up and only chuckle. I hope I'm half as quick-witted when I'm 87.

I do miss not hearing him on the radio down here.

Bob Uecker is pretty amazing. There have been some times he looks like he is slipping, but today he seemed sharp as ever. Still quick on the one-liners and come-backs. I think Jeff Levering was there with him today and it felt like he couldn't keep up and only chuckle. I hope I'm half as quick-witted when I'm 87.

I do miss not hearing him on the radio down here.

You can get him on your phone, laptop, Sirius, etc. pretty much anywhere.

I walked into a Publix once with my phone in my shirt pocket and no earphones and the cashier said "it that the ballgame, wow, it's just like my grandpa!"

Both Hedbert Perez and Freddy Zamora made the trip today and may play.

Travis Shaw home run in the 1st inning.

Sounds like Hiura has had a rough 1st inning defensively (failed to scoop a Travis Shaw throw and on a successful pickoff for Brett Anderson he sailed the throw to second base).

Edit: In the 2nd inning the Brewers radio broadcast made it sound like Hiura should've had a grounder that got by him under his glove, but it was ruled a double.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived