Brewer Fanatic

Spring Training Games - 2021

Eye Black
I normally scoff at the “best shape of his life” stuff, but I’m cautiously optimistic that Garcia’s going to be an improved player this season.

He needs to be, sure looks like he is in fine physical shape to me...

Arcia is still slow I see.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
At this stage in spring training, I'm just glad if no one gets hurt.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'm just glad to be able to see some actual baseball while there's still 2 feet of snow on the ground. I don't think it's ever a great idea to watch Spring Training for the competition. It's more about the little things: the positional battles, which pitchers look good, any changes regulars have seemed to make between seasons. So far Garcia looks great. The pitching has been solid. Hopefully Shaw will pick things up with the bat and solidify 3B, because that's my only real huge question mark so far.

I'm just glad to be able to see some actual baseball while there's still 2 feet of snow on the ground. I don't think it's ever a great idea to watch Spring Training for the competition. It's more about the little things: the positional battles, which pitchers look good, any changes regulars have seemed to make between seasons. So far Garcia looks great. The pitching has been solid. Hopefully Shaw will pick things up with the bat and solidify 3B, because that's my only real huge question mark so far.

You really think third base is the only huge question mark. I think the entire lineup is one gigantic question with few answers other than Yelich. The pitching and defense should be solid but this lineup looks like one huge snooze fest begging for some real answers.

You really think third base is the only huge question mark. I think the entire lineup is one gigantic question with few answers other than Yelich. The pitching and defense should be solid but this lineup looks like one huge snooze fest begging for some real answers.

Yep. They'll be good in the other OF spots between Cain, Garcia and Bradley. Hiura should be fine at 1B, Wong is going to be consistent at 2B, and hopefully Urias can recover and take SS by the horns. If he doesn't, Arcia is going to have to continue the growth he showed last season. Narvaez should be be fine, as I refuse to believe that he is the hitter he showed in last year's weird season. He's got too big of a track record of solid offensive play to think that he truly is what he showed last year.

They are obviously not going to be the '27 Yankees, but they should be a team that can show you many different looks on offense, and be able to score in multiple ways. That is a far cry from the "all or nothing" offenses of the recent past with Moustakas, Thames and the like.

Pitching wise, they have the chance to have a great 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation. They need several others to step up. I expect Anderson to be fine, and Lindblom showed better at the end of last season, which gives me hope that he can be a serviceable starter. I don't know what to expect from Houser, other than I know he has a very good arm and a quality starter's arsenal.

No qualms about the pen. They have one of the most talented group of arms in the league there.

The way I look at it, this offense managed to keep them in most games last year with Yelich and Hiura looking terrible. Even a modicum of improvement from those two will be this a solid offense.

For someone with supposedly no power, Turang gave that one a ride.

That was a big fly ball for Turang!

Narvaez seems to have a nice level swing so far this spring like he did with the Mariners. He had that nasty uppercut last season, but it seems to be remedied. Hoping for big things from him this season.

Really like watching Robertson's at bats. He looks super patient up there and looks like he'll give you a professional at bat. I probably have the most optimism for him of any of the guys at third on the team but I'm not sure he's really even in the running for that spot.

Community Moderator
For someone with supposedly no power, Turang gave that one a ride.

His scouting report previously has been well below average power, but according to Baseball America that started to change a bit last summer. They said the Brewers alternate site had an internal “barrel” board for well hit balls with exit velocities greater than 95-mph, and Turang was consistently among the leaders throughout his time in Appleton. They still don’t project him for a ton of HRs, but said his peak could now be closer to 15-20 per season. If he can develop consistent doubles power I’d be pretty happy.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

If the Angels could ever get some pitching, they could be a force with their lineup.

A lot of people think Griffin Canning may break out this year.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Turang looks much bigger than the last time I saw him...which was about 18 months ago I guess.

I’m curious about Feliciano and how he sets up behind the dish. He has that Martin Maldonado set up sometimes where he is half doing the splits with one leg out to the side, which is fine if nobody is on base. It was a 1-2 count with a runner on second and a right handed batter up. Seems like a strange set up on a 1-2 pitch specifically.

Then the next hitter was up and it was a 0-0 count. Jo Adell is on second base and Feliciano this time is kneeling on his left knee and has his right leg not all the way down in the splits, but has his right foot planted on the ground out behind the left handed hitter while mostly down into the splits.

I haven’t watched any of Feliciano so I guess my question is does Feliciano make the majority of his throws from his knees? If so, then no big deal. But setting up half in the splits with Adell at second seems like a really odd time to not be in a position to throw. If he were to steal at this point, I imagine the only thing Feliciano could do would be to use all arm on his throw from that position.

Anybody have any insight on him? Thanks!

Bob Uecker is pretty amazing. There have been some times he looks like he is slipping, but today he seemed sharp as ever. Still quick on the one-liners and come-backs. I think Jeff Levering was there with him today and it felt like he couldn't keep up and only chuckle. I hope I'm half as quick-witted when I'm 87.

Archived