Brewer Fanatic

Freddy Peralta being stretched out as a starter?

TURBO
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That slider is looking gnarly.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

After we lost to the Dodgers in game 7 I remember telling friends I was with that we should really be excited as we had 3 young pitchers in Burnes, Peralta, and Woodruff that were maybe better than any crop of pitchers we ever had. I thinking we started calling them the Big 3 that offseason here. It's been sort of a winding road but it seems that optimism was warranted. I think they have always been committed to developing Freddy as a starter, he has teased us before but is still young. I am also bullish on him this season.

After we lost to the Dodgers in game 7 I remember telling friends I was with that we should really be excited as we had 3 young pitchers in Burnes, Peralta, and Woodruff that were maybe better than any crop of pitchers we ever had. I thinking we started calling them the Big 3 that offseason here. It's been sort of a winding road but it seems that optimism was warranted. I think they have always been committed to developing Freddy as a starter, he has teased us before but is still young. I am also bullish on him this season.

Yes, lol. Going into the 2019 season I was somewhat serious, mostly tongue and cheek referring to them as the next big 3 ala Maddux, Glavine and Smoltz. Of course they won't reach those heights but still a possibility to be pretty darn good.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

We can all agree that Peralta's stuff is nasty. If he's a reliever, his stuff plays as a closer or a setup guy. I don't think you want an arm like that in middle relief especially on a team that has uncertainty behind it's top two starters. Let's look ahead to 2022. Anyone else looking forward to a rotation of Woodruff, Burnes, Peralta, Ashby and Small?

That slider is looking gnarly.

It's looking better than his curveball

Welcome to the board!

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I hope Peralta makes the rotation especially if he bumps Lindblom from it.

Lindblom may throw 5 different pitches, but he seemingly is always doing more battle with his command than he is the batter at the plate. It is questionable if he will maintain his 2020 FIP, going forward when teams see him multiple times and have video to watch.

Lindblom threw the ball so well at the end of last season once getting a chance to settle in. I hope we give him a chance to start the season because there is something there possibly.

Woodruff - Burnes - Peralta - Lindblom - Anderson

That's the rotation I'd love to see as I've made it well known that Houser doesn't belong in the rotation and could add some nastiness to that bullpen.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

If Peralta can reliably get out left handed hitters than I am hopeful for him as a starter. If not, he should be used as a weapon against right handed hitters which he dominates in the bullpen.

Any news on this experiment?

Does he actually have a chance at the rotation, or are we just a bunch of hopeful homers?

I mean, he had 7 Ks in 2 2/3 innings yesterday, and Counsell has said he's being stretched out as a starter. That would indicate that, yes, he has a good chance of being in the rotation.

Freddy would be an exciting add to the rotation because he has just as much upside as Woodruff or Burnes. I remain skeptical that he can find the consistency he so desperately needs, but of our options he's definitely got the most upside.

I assume Houser is outside looking in currently and I am fine with that. He has performed well out of the pen and also leaves us with some in house depth if injuries hit the rotation. Depth will be needed this season.

I hope Peralta makes the rotation especially if he bumps Lindblom from it.

Lindblom may throw 5 different pitches, but he seemingly is always doing more battle with his command than he is the batter at the plate. It is questionable if he will maintain his 2020 FIP, going forward when teams see him multiple times and have video to watch.

My thought on Lindblom is that having 5 pitches is too many and he needs to focus on two and 3 that are his most effective. Sorta like Burnes going away from a pitch he threw.

And at same time Peralta is taking the step forward because he's pitching a 3rd pitch effectively. So maybe Lindblom just suffers from pitch sequencing. People complain about control but pitches arent meant to be meatballs. Swing and misses on the movement that moves out of the zone is what Lindblom wants. But guys are taking the pitches vs swings and misses. Now the count favors the batter and a FB becomes much more predictable. Watching Peralta the FB is electric when seeing the movement on slider. Pitch looks 2-3 feet different finish maybe more.

All that said, point being that Lindblom may just be 1 pitch more often and 1 pitch just nixed away from taking off as so many times pitchers have had happen(like Burnes-like Lohse late career)

Lindblom throws 5 pitches because he needs to, it gives the hitter that much more to think about. None of his pitches are even as good as Peralta's third best offering. The only way Lindblom can be effective is if he's an artist on the mound and can keep hitters off balance.

I also would argue Lindblom is the type of guy that should be looking for weak contact with his caliber of stuff, not so much looking for strikeouts.

Back to Freddy, would love to see him in the rotation if his stuff dictates it. I do continue to worry about his size and handling a starters workload, but we'll see. Would be really nice to have him/hader/suter/Rasmussen as guys that can pitch 2-3 innings behind a starter every 3rd or 4th night and have Devin Williams in the mix to close games as needed.

Whether he starts the season in the rotation or not there is no way the Brewers aren't giving him another long/extended look in the rotation. They didn't give him that big contract to quickly put him in the bullpen and never give him another shot to prove his worth.

Whether he starts the season in the rotation or not there is no way the Brewers aren't giving him another long/extended look in the rotation. They didn't give him that big contract to quickly put him in the bullpen and never give him another shot to prove his worth.

I wouldn't call 5/15.5M a big contract ...I don't think it necessitates him being in any particular role. Although it would be tough to pick up his 8M options after if he was in the pen unless he was a pretty dominant reliever.

I wouldn't call 5/15.5M a big contract ...I don't think it necessitates him being in any particular role. Although it would be tough to pick up his 8M options after if he was in the pen unless he was a pretty dominant reliever.

The team bought out his team control vs just going year to year in Arb. I'd think that to date Peralta is trending results wise where Brewers have overpaid for that buyout.

The team bought out his team control vs just going year to year in Arb. I'd think that to date Peralta is trending results wise where Brewers have overpaid for that buyout.

His strikeout and walk rates have improved every year and Fangraphs had him as the 10th most valuable reliever in baseball last year. I think he probably wins a rotation spot, but I think he is trending fine for the deal.

Archived