Brewer Fanatic

Freddy Peralta being stretched out as a starter?

TURBO

Freddy Peralta will be stretched out during spring training, according to Brewers manager Craig Counsell.

Peralta may pitch more innings in 2021 than he has in the past as Milwaukee looks to navigate their pitchers' overall workloads in the upcoming season. Many expect Peralta to fill a swingman-type role for the Brewers, and with so many teams considering a six-man rotation, this is a situation worth monitoring. The 24-year-old had a strong, albeit brief, 2020 season, posting a 3.99 ERA, 1.15 WHIP, and 14.4 K/9 over 29 1/3 innings.

SOURCE: Will Sammon on Twitter

Feb 24, 2021, 12:22 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Not surprising all of the teams in MLB will be using a lot of pitchers this year especially if the season is to be 162 games. Expect a lot of starters to be on the IL for fatigued pick a body part(s) here and there. Also don't expect Woodruff and Burnes to go more than 5-innings in the first couple of months of the year. Anderson and Lindblom will be the ones to go more than 5-innings a game everyone else will be on a strict pitch count and innings limit. I wouldn't be surprised if you see some 6-man rotations for a bit during the beginning of the year and see some piggy back starts like what happens in the minors.

I really wish the Brewers would go out and get Odorizzi so they have 3-guys who can eat some of the innings early in the year when Woodruff and Burnes will be limited in their innings and pitch counts.

Just say no to six starting pitchers. Just five years ago there was nothing but bellyaching from just about everywhere that getting a quality #5 starter was nearly impossible, now we will roll with not only 1 or 2 crappy pitchers at #4 and #5 but now add another one to that list. What is really crazy as that pitch counts are going down, which logically would tell you that if guys are throwing less pitches per start then they should be throwing in more games.

So just a couple years ago 5-man rotations were the norm and averaging 100 pitchers per outing was a rough expectation. Considering the fifth guy would get skipped a few times, we'd be looking at 33 starts.

100 times 33 = 3300 pitches per season.

So now if we jump to 6 man rotations with skipping the 6th guy a few times, that puts us at 28 starts and now it almost seems the expectation for pitches per start is down to about 90 pitches.

90 times 28 = 2520 pitches per season

So the Brewers would take 25% of Woodruff's workload away and would be handing it to Eric Lauer. Just doesn't seem like all that smart a plan to me.

Have to admit that I would be going the exact opposite way IF I HAD A PLUS BULLPEN (which the Brewers might have). Four man rotation with an absolute cap of 90 pitchers per start but the expectation that the starters average 80 pitches per start. So that is 41 starts at 80 pitches per start which brings the total to 3280 pitches which is where the majority of pitchers have probably been for the last two decades.

I'd prefer to consider a 4-man rotation, with pitch counts of around 75-80 and most bullpen arms stretched out for 2+ innings. I think it's easier on an arm (like Hader) to throw 30 pitches every 2-3 days than 15 pitches back to back nights.

Just say no to six starting pitchers. Just five years ago there was nothing but bellyaching from just about everywhere that getting a quality #5 starter was nearly impossible, now we will roll with not only 1 or 2 crappy pitchers at #4 and #5 but now add another one to that list. What is really crazy as that pitch counts are going down, which logically would tell you that if guys are throwing less pitches per start then they should be throwing in more games.

So just a couple years ago 5-man rotations were the norm and averaging 100 pitchers per outing was a rough expectation. Considering the fifth guy would get skipped a few times, we'd be looking at 33 starts.

100 times 33 = 3300 pitches per season.

So now if we jump to 6 man rotations with skipping the 6th guy a few times, that puts us at 28 starts and now it almost seems the expectation for pitches per start is down to about 90 pitches.

90 times 28 = 2520 pitches per season

So the Brewers would take 25% of Woodruff's workload away and would be handing it to Eric Lauer. Just doesn't seem like all that smart a plan to me.

Have to admit that I would be going the exact opposite way IF I HAD A PLUS BULLPEN (which the Brewers might have). Four man rotation with an absolute cap of 90 pitchers per start but the expectation that the starters average 80 pitches per start. So that is 41 starts at 80 pitches per start which brings the total to 3280 pitches which is where the majority of pitchers have probably been for the last two decades.

If the previous season had a 162 game season sure I would agree with this but guys are not going to be skipped at the #5 spot or even the #4 spot. Guys like Anderson and Lindblom are going to be expected to carry the Brewers for the whole year meaning they are going to have to eat a lot of innings in the beginning of the year. If either Lindblom or Anderson are hurt or ineffective I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers go with a 6-man rotation to keep the innings and pitch counts down for Woodruff and Burnes. I fully expect Burnes and Woodruff to have a pitch count of about 75-80 for the first couple of months of the season. With Burnes and Woodruff that means they will be exiting around the 4th or 5th inning each game. That means the bullpen will have to carry the team on average 4-5 innings a game in the first couple of months when Woodruff and Burnes are starting. This means the Brewers really need another starter like Odorizzi or someone else to plug in where you are not going to care about their future all that much and will push them to pitch more innings and pitches during the beginning of the year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Zimmermann is the 6th starter for the first month or two of the season. The rotation being Woodruff, Burnes, Anderson, Lindblom, Hauser and Zimmermann for the first two months of the season as the Brewers try to lessen the load on Woodruff and Burnes. When June rolls around you drop Zimmermann and return to a 5-man rotation. April and May allows for the Brewers to rest Woodruff and Burnes enough to allow them to be at a comfortable spot when it comes to August and September and not have to limit their innings during the final two months of the season.

don't forget that scheduling has changed. three off days in every month, and april and september have four off days (and september rosters will be 28 players).

no cap on the number of pitchers on a roster, and position players can pitch if needed.

the requisite stay for a pitcher on optional assignment or on the injured list is still 10 days--not 15.

and, class aaa teams are off every monday--after a sunday day game.

all of this should help every mlb club's pitching staff and minimize wear and tear.

He is one of the top rotation options after the first five...why would he not be stretched out in ST? This is pretty typical in any year. You can't just stretch out 5 guys, especially with the frequency of starters having injuries to start the year.

Going in to ST 2019 I'm pretty sure he had a whole lotta hype as a SP having improved a 3rd pitch offering(slider was it?) But wasn't he delayed by a minor injury and it just set him back when he took the mound to not maintain the spot? The hype garnished Milw extending a contract before he blew up due to it. So it only makes sense he would be stretched out and possible for a rotation spot. I'm glad to hear about it because Ive been a supporter on Peralta to be in the rotation through the good and bad. When hes good it's exceptional. Cakewalk 7IP potentially few more on a start. Label him a 5 all you want but those starts are an easy 2. The upside for a 5 to be a 2 is such a plus to have.

2021 will be a unique year, even more starters (Or "bulk pitchers" of some kind) than usual will be needed. A stretched out starter can go to the bullpen and be effective almost immediately, it's harder to do it the other way around. Which is why Peralta, Suter, maybe even Rasmussen, will at least be somewhat stretched out for the start of the season. Injuries can happen too in ST, it's not at all far fetched that Peralta might be needed as a starter even if the plan right now is to use him in relief. So best to be prepared. I would also think that if he shows better results against LHH, Brewers would still see him as a starter. Or, the way the Brewers view pitchers, as an out-getter who gets many outs in each outing. But starter or not, to solve the workload puzzles some relievers will be doing longer outings with more rest inbetween, Peralta being one of the obvious choices to do so.

He is one of the top rotation options after the first five...why would he not be stretched out in ST? This is pretty typical in any year. You can't just stretch out 5 guys, especially with the frequency of starters having injuries to start the year.

I was going to say the same thing. It's far easier to put someone who was stretched out as a starter in the bullpen than have someone not stretched out in the rotation. I'm pretty sure the five man rotation isn't set in stone at this time so it makes sense to have every possible starter stretched out in any event.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

If this new slider is a thing, this talk of needing a 6 man rotation to find a spot for Freddy will be silly. 2021 just might be the year the big three of Woodruff, Burnes, and Peralta becomes a reality.

https://theathletic.com/2410349/2021/02/25/freddy-peralta-pitch-repertoire/

Equipped with the new slider, Peralta took the mound on Aug. 6 and proceeded to throw three scoreless innings, recording six strikeouts and generating two whiffs with the revamped pitch.

The average horizontal movement of Peralta’s slider against the White Sox on Aug. 6, according to Brooks Baseball, was 9.67 inches. The average horizontal movement of Peralta’s slider in his first outing of the 2020 season was 3.48 inches. He has never averaged less than seven inches of horizontal movement with the pitch ever since.

His ERA was 3.08 in the 26 1/3 innings that followed his first appearance, and he racked up 44 strikeouts against 10 walks. The whiffs increased, in part, because the new pitch offered Peralta something different he could attack hitters with. A few evaluators pointed to Peralta’s sweeping slider as a better pitch than his curveball, but regardless, the way they complement each other is part of the success.

“The best part about Freddy for this year is that slider, we’re a year into it,” Brewers manager Craig Counsell said. “There’s no question that last year, especially in spring training, there was still a feeling-out process with it. He’s past that. He’s thrown it enough where there’s not that feeling-out process. It’s just part of his arsenal. It’s part of what he’s going to use to get hitters out. He’s expressed a lot of confidence in that. So it’s no longer we’re trying out a new pitch. He has a slider, and he’s going to use it.”

Maybe we're swapping Peralta and Houser?

Woodruff

Burnes

Peralta

Lindblom

Anderson

OMG, that top 3 is nasty!

Houser, Williams, Hader is nasty as well!

If Peralta makes the starting rotation to start, it's going to be as the #5. Easier to skip starts that way, as he'll likely be on a innings limit after throwing so little last year. Not that it really matters what the order is after the first week or so, though.

There’s enough upside with Peralta that I hope he’s in the rotation and that we stick with him. He’s got a lot of ability. I think we’ve got posts going into spring training last year where his slider had really emerged based on winter ball.

I think Lindblom can be solid and Anderson is steady when healthy.

This can be the type of rotation that’s tough to crack in a playoff environment.

I know Freddy Peralta’s range of possible outcomes remains quite wide, but I’m buying into him taking another huge step in the right direction this season. There is a universe where Peralta becomes more consistent and begins dominating hitters regardless of the role. I look at the various projections for Peralta, and I think I’d take the over (better outcome) on nearly every category.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

I would argue he's one of the top rotation options after the first two. He's been spectacular at times but maddingly inconsistent. In his age 24-25 season I'd want to give him one more shot at being a starter. Houser's been better out of the pen, and he's 28 years old. I think his upside is fairly limited compared to Peralta.

• 2 weeks later...
i know that spring training is lacking split squad games, and i know that not all games have lasted nine innings . . . but i find it a little odd that freddy peralta has had only one appearance in a cactus league game, back on 1 march.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
i know that spring training is lacking split squad games, and i know that not all games have lasted nine innings . . . but i find it a little odd that freddy peralta has had only one appearance in a cactus league game, back on 1 march.

Woodruff and Hader only have one appearance too. These guys are all getting B game work on the back fields to keep their arms stretched out.

brandon woodruff was held back to recover from some back stiffness. and we've come to expect a delayed spring training debut from josh hader.

while i don't doubt that freddy peralta is getting b game action, it's frustrating as a fan not being able to evaluate his work in cactus league action.

Oh good. Now I can give my evaluation of Peralta to the Brewers so they select the best roster possible.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived