Brewer Fanatic

Jackie Bradley Jr.

It really was the M.O. of that 2018 team as well. The defense was good and made the pitching (Cough.... Chacin and Miley..... cough) better than they otherwise would have been. The Brewers staff is already going to be good, the defense will make it better. I'd like it if they could add ONE thumper bat, but I think they could be very good regardless.

I can't see this team winning even a weak NL Central with this offense. Its great that the pitching and defense look good but this offense looks about as putrid as it was last season.

How much defense do you need behind Burnes (13.3 K per 9), Woodruff (11.1), Williams (17.7) and Hader (14.7)? They accounted for just about 35% of the total innings.

This may be the easiest question you've ever asked. The answer: As much as possible, the more the better.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yoenis Cespedes is holding a workout for teams on March 2. I would rather take a cheap flier on him to replace Garcia in the lineup than pay 10 million per season for Bradley.

Good God. Yoenis Cespedes is your answer?

Laughable.

Right!

Doesnt believe in any of the guys we have in our lineup but then wants us to sign a dude that hasnt played in like 3 years... Come on.

Except in 2021, balls aren't put into play very often which lessens the value of defense.

I literally put together a whole post on this topic...

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39979

Even with climbing K/HR rates, balls are still put in play very often, 63.8% of PAs in 2019 ended with a ball in play vs 36.2% which ended in a K/BB/HR/HBP.

There were 186,516 plate appearances in 2019. Take out the strikeouts (42,823), walks (15,895), home runs (6,776) & hit by pitch (1,984) and you are left with 119,038 PAs ending with a ball in play.

Remove the singles (25,947), doubles (8,531) & triples (785) and that leaves 83,775 balls in play which were converted into outs or errors, 195% of the strikeout total.

As long as there outs to be made in the field, it will always be advantageous to convert as many of them as possible.

He is probably just trying to drive up the price to sign with the Dodgers...
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I tend to believe with the interest leaked and JBJ not signed within a few hours after said leak, the Brewers will not be signing him.

Where I'm at as well. It is reassuring to know that the Brewers are still looking at potential upgrades, though, even if/when they don't work out. I was starting to wonder as the doldrums of December/January were setting in. I guess we are seeing now that February is Stearns time.

I tend to believe with the interest leaked and JBJ not signed within a few hours after said leak, the Brewers will not be signing him.

Every team has varying levels of interest in every free agent. Since he has gone unsigned for so long, perhaps Bradley’s desired contract parameters are mow more fluid, where a team like Milwaukee is now interested. Most of these leaks are from agents to media to stir the pot. I don’t think the mere passing of time makes a contract with Milwaukee more or less likely (although we have seen this pattern before with Darvish, Turner, etc).

Every team has varying levels of interest in every free agent. Since he has gone unsigned for so long, perhaps Bradley’s desired contract parameters are mow more fluid, where a team like Milwaukee is now interested. Most of these leaks are from agents to media to stir the pot. I don’t think the mere passing of time makes a contract with Milwaukee more or less likely (although we have seen this pattern before with Darvish, Turner, etc).

I think the point is, at least with the players the Brewers have successfully signed, their interest was only leaked very late in the process, sometimes only minutes before the deal was confirmed. This isn't exactly new, as the Brewers are seemingly very good at keeping negotiations under wraps. So if the supposed interest in Bradley follows those same lines, it would stand to reason that the Brewers' interest may be overstated in this case.

Are the Brewers at their 40man limit? Sorta like the Dodgers waiting to sign Turner so they can create space for him on 40man. Maybe FO is looking to trade somebody off the 40man before DFA them to create the open spot? Or its vice versa the team JBJ is really trying to sign with needs the extra time. If Shaw is to be the 3b majority of a platoon and JBJ being LH, Vogelbach trade soon?

Except in 2021, balls aren't put into play very often which lessens the value of defense.

I literally put together a whole post on this topic...

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=39979

Even with climbing K/HR rates, balls are still put in play very often, 63.8% of PAs in 2019 ended with a ball in play vs 36.2% which ended in a K/BB/HR/HBP.

There were 186,516 plate appearances in 2019. Take out the strikeouts (42,823), walks (15,895), home runs (6,776) & hit by pitch (1,984) and you are left with 119,038 PAs ending with a ball in play.

Remove the singles (25,947), doubles (8,531) & triples (785) and that leaves 83,775 balls in play which were converted into outs or errors, 195% of the strikeout total.

As long as there outs to be made in the field, it will always be advantageous to convert as many of them as possible.

And by my count, 12,541 of those singles were infield singles that the Brewers gave up last year. Hoping better defense cuts down on those in 2021.

Are the Brewers at their 40man limit? Sorta like the Dodgers waiting to sign Turner so they can create space for him on 40man. Maybe FO is looking to trade somebody off the 40man before DFA them to create the open spot? Or its vice versa the team JBJ is really trying to sign with needs the extra time. If Shaw is to be the 3b majority of a platoon and JBJ being LH, Vogelbach trade soon?

Yes 40 man is full with Anderson signing.

Technically we would need two 40 man spots... Easy for me, DFA Vogelbach and Black.

LF: Yelich (145) Garcia (17)

CF: Cain (110) JBJ (52)

RF: Garcia (94) JBJ (68)

Yelich (145) JBJ (120 vs RHP) Garcia (111) Cain (110)

Plenty of starts for all four even without the DH.

I think this sums things up nicely. Our 4th OF is going to get quite a bit of playing time. None of these guys are young, and Yelich has had some minor issues that make me think he'll be better off with some days off every now and then. 145 starts is probably a good guess for him if we want to get peak production. Having four good OFs who split up the playing time is probably not a bad idea. It would really be a rotation of four starters more than having a traditional "fourth outfielder." Plus, with Garcia gone next year, getting a solid replacement now when they might get a bit of a discount might make sense.

It might hurt a bit to see a $10M player sitting on the bench opening day while Travis Shaw is playing third, but over the course of the season, I think adding Bradley would help out and there aren't many other options out there right now that would help as much as him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yes 40 man is full with Anderson signing.

Technically we would need two 40 man spots... Easy for me, DFA Vogelbach and Black.

The 40 man roster has lots of surplusage at the moment.

Since Ray Black can hit triple digits, they will give him every chance to make it before a DFA. Similar thing with Vogelbach, he raked for them in a small sample last year, and they'll give him every chance to make it before moving on.

Players like Luke Maile and JP Feyereisen likely have more tenuous holds on 40 man roster spots. Plus, Tim Lopes, Mark Mathias and Daniel Robertson all essentially have the same skill set they can move on from one if not two of them and not miss a beat.

Most of these leaks are from agents to media to stir the pot.

In this case JBJ is a Scott Boras client, and I wouldn’t be at all shocked if some of the reported “interest” by various teams has been generated as a result of Boras reaching out directly to team owners after not garnering the initial interest hoped among front office executives. At least in the past that’s been a bit of his M.O.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

No team is taking on Lorenzo Cain for $35 million dollars and giving up something in return, and the Brewers don't typically include cash in trades. That tells you where Cain will be playing if he plays.

I agree with your initial premise, Cain has negative value when his remaining contract is considered. I also agree it’s extremely unlikely the Brewers would consider including substantial cash to move Cain. The part I would disagree with a bit is that it’s completely unfeasible he could be traded (although I’ll admit it’s “unlikely”). I think the only way a trade could make sense is if moving Cain coincided with another “bad” contract coming back to Milwaukee.

For example purposes, lets say the Phillies were interested in Cain since they don’t really have a center fielder. The Brewers could take back Scott Kingery who has some positional flexibility in the deal and his remaining two-years and $15.5 million guaranteed (including buyout). For the Phillies the motivation over just signing JBJ may be that it both transfers some already allocated money towards a different player while also freeing up a roster spot from a player that hasn’t been very good recently. In any similar scenario it’s still likely the Brewers may have to include some cash, but not nearly what they would if they weren’t taking back such a contract.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

For example purposes, lets say the Phillies were interested in Cain since they don’t really have a center fielder. The Brewers could take back Scott Kingery who has some positional flexibility in the deal and his remaining two-years and $15.5 million guaranteed (including buyout). For the Phillies the motivation over just signing JBJ may be that it both transfers some already allocated money towards a different player while also freeing up a roster spot from a player that hasn’t been very good recently. In any similar scenario it’s still likely the Brewers may have to include some cash, but not nearly what they would if they weren’t taking back such a contract.

Without taking into account the clubhouse and leadership angle (which with Cain is enormous IMO), this trade might actually make some sense. The Brewers get out from the contract and gain someone who could theoretically be the 3B of the future, even though he is already 27 this year. Sign JBJ to fill in for Cain in CF.

I wouldn't do it because of Cain's value outside of the foul lines, but I could understand the rationale.

Probably not going to be a Brewer, then, unless that "next step" doesn't materialize. Stearns tends to set a value on players, and doesn't exceed it. I don't know if he's ever gotten in a bidding war over a player.

Especially since its not a "need" player - I would agree with you. Seems like this is; He a pretty decent player is still a free agent, would he sign a "prove it" deal with us, ala Moose and Grandal?

Archived