Brewer Fanatic

Jackie Bradley Jr.

Maybe teams with a young 3B who is blocked are asking about Taylor? Sure Garcia and Yelich can play CF in a pinch but I don't think playing Garcia there last year helped his offense nor do they want to move Yelich from LF. That would leave Taylor as primary backup in CF and if he could be used in a package for help at 3B, they'd need more depth.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I am probably the most excited about lately is the emphasis on defense for the Brewers. I think they've realized they need it badly to win again. They had it in 2018 and are searching for the right combination. Good to see.

It really was the M.O. of that 2018 team as well. The defense was good and made the pitching (Cough.... Chacin and Miley..... cough) better than they otherwise would have been. The Brewers staff is already going to be good, the defense will make it better. I'd like it if they could add ONE thumper bat, but I think they could be very good regardless.

I can't see this team winning even a weak NL Central with this offense. Its great that the pitching and defense look good but this offense looks about as putrid as it was last season.

I don't know if a Cain trade is all that likely. Like if a team wanted to trade for Cain while taking on a good chunk of the money, wouldn't they just go sign JBJ instead? We'll have to see how serious this interest really ends up being.

................................... Easily enough playing time to go around for Cain/Yelich/Garcia/JBJ with L/R platoons, rest days, injuries, double switches etc.

This front office is all about value. If they feel like they can get a good player for less than what they reckon he's worth, they'll do it.

Agreed. JBJ is a solid player. Whether or not he gets 450 or 600 ABs, he improves the roster. They clearly have some money to spend if they want and he'd provide a level of insurance for injury\illness.

What I am probably the most excited about lately is the emphasis on defense for the Brewers. I think they've realized they need it badly to win again. They had it in 2018 and are searching for the right combination. Good to see.

It really was the M.O. of that 2018 team as well. The defense was good and made the pitching (Cough.... Chacin and Miley..... cough) better than they otherwise would have been. The Brewers staff is already going to be good, the defense will make it better. I'd like it if they could add ONE thumper bat, but I think they could be very good regardless.

I can't see this team winning even a weak NL Central with this offense. Its great that the pitching and defense look good but this offense looks about as putrid as it was last season.

How much defense do you need behind Burnes (13.3 K per 9), Woodruff (11.1), Williams (17.7) and Hader (14.7)? They accounted for just about 35% of the total innings.

As great a prospect as he is, Luis Robert did not set the world on fire for the White Sox last year in CF (.233/.302/.436) and 73 K's (32% rate). White Sox are obviously all in and Cain could provide veteran leadership and take pressure off Robert and maybe they like him more than Bradley. White Sox also got very little out of Encarnacion as their primary DH last year and having Cain to DH while sharing CF with Robert would make sense for them.

This kinda reminds me of a few years ago when we acquired Cain and Yelich and just assumed Domingo Santana would be traded. That doesn’t mean they didn’t try but I think the Brewers just believe this stuff always has a way of working itself out (injuries, underperforming, etc).

I don't see any free agents worth signing at this point. The only way to improve the offense would be through a trade with Hader probably being the piece we use to get a legitimate bat.

Like who?

I would like to see Stearns make a blockbuster offer to the A's for Matt Chapman.

How about targeting a player that can actually hit. It just makes no sense to me to keep looking at players that add nothing to the offense.

You really think Yelich, Hiura, Garcia and Narvaez are gonna be the terrible hitters they were in 2020?

Our lineup has it in them to be very good this year.

I expect Yelich and Hiura to be much better and don't expect much from either Garcia or Narvaez. You really have to be wearing some Brewers tinted glasses to see this offense being good.

You do realize Garcia is a career .746 OPS 103 OPS+ hitter, who plays good D... What's not to like about that?

Narvaez is a very good OBP guy, he's not the hitter he was in 2020.

Sure, I have Brewers tinted glasses then... Either way, this offense can be very good in 2021.

I don't see any free agents worth signing at this point. The only way to improve the offense would be through a trade with Hader probably being the piece we use to get a legitimate bat.

Like who?

I would like to see Stearns make a blockbuster offer to the A's for Matt Chapman.

LOL so would everyone

I doubt that Chapman is a realistic option but I would aim high.

So basically, you'll aim unrealistically high, not complete a trade as a result, and need to sign a guy like Bradley anyway?

How about suggesting a move that's actually feasible?

I doubt that Chapman is a realistic option but I would aim high. Either way I think this team desperately needs one if not two legitimate bats.

I don't disagree with you. But they are somehow going to have to come from what is already available. The easiest solution is hoping that Garcia and Narvaez rebound. If that doesn't happen, the next hope (albeit much less likely) is probably Urias or Robertson becoming a legit threat with the bat, or Shaw somehow finding his 2017 form. If none of that happens, we better hope the team pitches well and can play defense, because the offense is going to again be inconsistent. It sort of appears that is the Brewers' thought as well.

How much defense do you need behind Burnes (13.3 K per 9), Woodruff (11.1), Williams (17.7) and Hader (14.7)? They accounted for just about 35% of the total innings.

Imagine those guys' numbers with a strong defense behind them? It really could be something special as if it isn't already.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Like who?

They'd be better of to hire a team of scientists to re-animate Babe Ruth. Chapman is already fantastic and is under team control for 2 more years after 2021.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Imagine those guys' numbers with a strong defense behind them? It really could be something special as if it isn't already.

True. Even for those 4 pitchers, about half of their outs are in the field (27 outs per 9).

I doubt that Chapman is a realistic option but I would aim high.

So basically, you'll aim unrealistically high, not complete a trade as a result, and need to sign a guy like Bradley anyway?

How about suggesting a move that's actually feasible?

I suggested signing Yoenis Cespedes if he looks good in his workout.

Archived